Premier league May TV fixtures

Comments

• ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its one of the biggest games in the PL season!
    Saying you'd leave it out is frankly ludicrous.

I expect it to be shown. But Sky have left it out before - for instance back in January 2009 when Setanta had it. And Liverpool were in contention for the title then.

Ultimately 3 weeks before the end of the season I'd rather watch games which are likely to be very meaningful. In this instance, a Super Sunday of Liverpool V Everton and Manchester United V Chelsea wouldn't get my pulse racing in the same way as it did last October because there's less riding on those 2 matches. To my mind by then Liverpool V Everton might end up being a battle for 5th or more likely just 6th place. I'd rather watch 2 matches affecting relegation personally.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    No problem with having a game behind the red button. Sky won't care that users of other platforms can't watch it.

Virgin customers can get it.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester City v WBA has being picked for Sky which was orignally on FA Cup Semi Final weekend. I expect this to be dropped as Manchester United will have won the league by then, giving Sky some extra flexibility. I realise in the earlier thread mlt11 you said it wouldn't be dropped but the league title at the time you said it was much closer then, than it is now.

Not sure what I said previously - I certainly agree that Man C v WBA could be dropped - I think I was just saying that I was assuming it wouldn't be dropped for counting purposes - not that I thought it definitely wouldn't be dropped.

It's obviously impossible to say at the moment whether it will be dropped - we simply don't know.

I imagine Sky are currently asking the PL to be able to delay making any more picks for as long as possible.

In previous seasons when the title race has been close the picks for R36 and R367 have to a large degree been no brainers.

This season is very different and it will be a big advantage to wait. This applies especially to R37 - the R36 picks are largely much more obvious whatever happens over the next couple of weeks.

Waiting also increases the chance that Man C v WBA can be dropped thereby giving an additional game somewhere in the last 3 rounds.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    I imagine Sky are currently asking the PL to be able to delay making any more picks for as long as possible.

And screw the fans who can't book the cheaper advance train tickets without risking losing money. Other than the final week,which doesn't matter because they're all on at the same time,there should be a minimum period of notice that the broadcasters have to give,after this if they suddenly decide to move a game for tv then they should be responsible for reimbursing lost funds,the only exceptions should be matches moved to Sunday because of Europa league participation or else postponed because of weather problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    And screw the fans who can't book the cheaper advance train tickets without risking losing money. Other than the final week,which doesn't matter because they're all on at the same time,there should be a minimum period of notice that the broadcasters have to give,after this if they suddenly decide to move a game for tv then they should be responsible for reimbursing lost funds,the only exceptions should be matches moved to Sunday because of Europa league participation or else postponed because of weather problems.

It's up to the PL - they sell the rights and it's up to them what is in the TV contracts.

What happens now re pick timings is again up to the PL - either it's in the contracts or if contracts allow for flexibility it still has to be agreed with the PL.

It's their competition and it's up to them to balance what is in the best interests of both fans and broadcasters - and indeed the PL as a whole in showcasing the most attractive games.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,078
    Forum Member
    Also a case of saying unless you can prove you were going to that game on the train, how could they? I could say "I wanted to go to team x v team y but i can't now because Sky changed it" but unless I have a match ticket (unlikely given I doubt tickets go on sale that early, even in the PL) then how can I prove I was going to go to the football?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its one of the biggest games in the PL season!
    Saying you'd leave it out is frankly ludicrous.

Sky have left out big games before. In April 2004, both Arsenal v Liverpool and Man Utd v Liverpool were not picked by sky for live coverage.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the final of the Rome Masters on that day, and as Murray is now 2nd in the world, i imagine Sky would be less thing, in showing that behind any red button

The Rome Masters is not a major tournament.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's their competition and it's up to them to balance what is in the best interests of both fans and broadcasters - and indeed the PL as a whole in showcasing the most attractive games.

But they don't consider the best interests of the fans,that's the whole argument. Games are moved with minimal notice and you end up with fans having to get up at the crack of dawn or even earlier,or else taking two days off work to go from one end of the country to the other for an evening kick-off. Plus they can't book travel or,if necessary,overnight accomodation without risking losing money,nor do they even know whether they'll actually be able to attend or not because half the time you have no idea of when a game is actually going to be played.

Take my earlier posts on the games picked for FA Cup semi final weekend. Three games,all of which had the potential to be moved again from their tv slots,and all of which have been subsequently moved. Granted,we knew the Tyne n Wear derby wasn't going to be played at 3.00pm Saturday anyway,but why schedule it for Saturday lunchtime when Sky knew there was a good possibility that Newcastle would still be involved in the Europa league,thereby forcing it to move to Sunday? I'll also grant that at the time the games were announced it wasn't known that Chelsea and Man U would face each other in the cup sixth round,but in my opinion they would have done far better to allocate Newcastle-Sunderland to the Sunday lunchtime slot in the first place. Chelsea-Spurs should have been the Saturday lunchtime game.

I should also add that Niall Quinn said that he was largely in favour of a minimum notice period for switching games for tv when he was a guest at a supporters function which I attended several years ago.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously your not a tennis fan, cause i think ure find, that after the 4 grand slams, the masters series, are like a 5th grand slam.

And also it is the final tournament, before the start of the French Open the following sunday.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is one of the biggest tournaments in the Second Tier of tennis events (which Sky have the rights to all 8 events) so it IS a big event for Sky

Also Murray will not be in the final so they can easily drop this to the red button
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously your not a tennis fan, cause i think ure find, that after the 4 grand slams, the masters series, are like a 5th grand slam.

And also it is the final tournament, before the start of the French Open the following sunday.

But I AM a tennis fan. Thats why I made the comment I did. Its not a grandslam.

No doubt it might be a big event for Sky, but bigger than the final Premier League day of the season. Not a chance of that.
    Forum Member
    Plus also no guarantee of Murray being in the final. I don't see them (if there's 3 live games on the final day) saying "you can watch 1 game on SS1, 1 on SS3 and 1 on SS4" and then a day or 2 before the final round of games changing, and sticking 1 of them on the red button.

Plus, as obvious as this may sound, the football will go ahead regardless (unless the live game somehow ends up with a completely flooded pitch which is unlikely). How bad would it look if Sky stuck the tennis on say SS4 instead of a 3rd game, and it rained, meaning they were just talking/showing a repeat of a previous tennis match rather than a crucial live final day game from the PL? They'd be slaughtered.

Ok, don't get me wrong it could rain in the cricket too, but I think everyone would put the Ashes above what is basically a 2nd tier tennis match (2nd tier as in it's not a grand slam), especially as the cricket apparently HAS to be on SS1 or SS2, whereas I doubt the Masters tournaments have any such clause in the contract, meaning that in reality it should be cricket + 3 football matches (if 3 are chosen) with tennis on the red button. If only 2 are chosen, not a problem as you have cricket, 2 football matches and the tennis on the main channels.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    but why schedule it for Saturday lunchtime when Sky knew there was a good possibility that Newcastle would still be involved in the Europa league,thereby forcing it to move to Sunday? .... Chelsea-Spurs should have been the Saturday lunchtime game.

Chelsea and Spurs are both in the Europa League.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    The tennis won't go behind the red button, even if there are three PL games on the final day.

It doesn't matter if the third match goes behind the red button anyway. All Sky customers have access to it, and it can be shown in HD. They won't clog up three channels with three things from the same competition when there is a third (different) event that can occupy Sky Sports 4.

If there was nothing else to show on that day, then fair enough, but there is.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Who knows what Sky will do? Looks 50/50 to me what would happen if they have three live games, pointless trying to predict.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a post by mlt11 a short while ago on the other PL thread:
    Sky May schedules are out - pretty obvious really for final day:

SS1 - PL game 1
    SS2 - Eng v NZ cricket
    SS3 - PL game 2
    SS4 - Rome Masters tennis final

And he also indicated that the League One play-off final would be on SS1 prior to the main PL game.

So Sky intend to show two games on the final day allowing the tennis to be on SS4. If they end up with three games on the final day (most likely through dropping Man City-West Brom) then I suspect the third game will be a red button option only.
    Forum Member
    Being completely honest, I don't see why all the games on the final day shouldn't be live, with maybe 5 on Sky (some of the 5 on the red button) and 5 on ESPN (or in the case of next season, BT but again with some of the 5 on the red button).

After the penultimate round of games have them take it in turns to pick, eg Sky having choices of games 1/3/5/7/9 and ESPN/BT the others, with them swapping each season so 1 season Sky get the odd numbered picks and the next season get the even numbered picks.

Ok, there might be 8 'dead' matches for example, but the choice is still there, and it'd only be a once a season situation.

Maybe not realistic, but......you know, it's just a thought.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't think the final day should count towards the overall count as there's little way of knowing exactly how many matches will be significant. Take last year - would there really have been any harm in one channel or another showing Stoke V Bolton too? I think they should use up the 138 games before the final game, and then on the last day pick them accordingly (maybe make it like most weekends where Sky gets 1st 3 picks, then ESPN get 4th if they want it, and if there are more games you carry on from there.)

Out of interest, how many live Premier League games have people watched this season? I counted them up and I think I'm on 70 (not including games I've seen at the stadium.)
    Forum Member
    Not a clue, not counted (also depends if you mean live, recorded, part of a game due to having to go to your own teams football match partway through or whatever).
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Personally I don't think the final day should count towards the overall count as there's little way of knowing exactly how many matches will be significant. Take last year - would there really have been any harm in one channel or another showing Stoke V Bolton too? I think they should use up the 138 games before the final game, and then on the last day pick them accordingly (maybe make it like most weekends where Sky gets 1st 3 picks, then ESPN get 4th if they want it, and if there are more games you carry on from there.)

Out of interest, how many live Premier League games have people watched this season? I counted them up and I think I'm on 70 (not including games I've seen at the stadium.)

About 2 or 3, most of the time I am watching cricket.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »

Ok, don't get me wrong it could rain in the cricket too, but I think everyone would put the Ashes above what is basically a 2nd tier tennis match (2nd tier as in it's not a grand slam), especially as the cricket apparently HAS to be on SS1 or SS2, whereas I doubt the Masters tournaments have any such clause in the contract, meaning that in reality it should be cricket + 3 football matches (if 3 are chosen) with tennis on the red button. If only 2 are chosen, not a problem as you have cricket, 2 football matches and the tennis on the main channels.

It's a test against New Zealand. The Ashes don't start until 10th July!
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Being completely honest, I don't see why all the games on the final day shouldn't be live, with maybe 5 on Sky (some of the 5 on the red button)

I have been in Paris on the last day of their season

It is great they start at one game and then change to others when goals go in and also change the main game depending on scores

Obviously not ideal if you are just following one team but great viewing for the neutral fan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    Here's a post by mlt11 a short while ago on the other PL thread:

And he also indicated that the League One play-off final would be on SS1 prior to the main PL game.

So Sky intend to show two games on the final day allowing the tennis to be on SS4. If they end up with three games on the final day (most likely through dropping Man City-West Brom) then I suspect the third game will be a red button option only.

Just a warning that schedules at this stage are provisional and can change. So nobody should take the schedule I posted as 100% set in stone.

However I have just checked again and the schedule as of today remains as previously posted.

I'm not suggesting in any way that I expect a change - the schedules as first issued are a very good guide and only change pretty rarely - normally if something specific happens - eg PL games being rescheduled would be an obvious example.

But a change can happen so I don't want someone coming on here and saying I misled if that should happen. But in this situation and based on past experience over many years I would regard the provisional schedule as approx. 90% likely to be what happens.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a warning that schedules at this stage are provisional and can change. So nobody should take the schedule I posted as 100% set in stone.

However I have just checked again and the schedule as of today remains as previously posted.

I'm not suggesting in any way that I expect a change - the schedules as first issued are a very good guide and only change pretty rarely - normally if something specific happens - eg PL games being rescheduled would be an obvious example.

But a change can happen so I don't want someone coming on here and saying I misled if that should happen. But in this situation and based on past experience over many years I would regard the provisional schedule as approx. 90% likely to be what happens.

Understood mlt11. I thought this myself (that the schedule published may yet alter) but felt it was beneficial to the discussion all the same that the information was quoted.