13»

Comments

• topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Just saw the post about drinking prosecco and I agree - yummy
  • nig6nig6 Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I went to Venice, I hated the Murano glass factory, you were jumped on from the second you got off the boat to buy glass, everything you looked at in the factory/shop someone pounced giving you the hard sell. Was horrible we left in the end as I would've smacked someone!

Burano was the opposite, a lovely peaceful island well worth a visit.

Was scorching when I was there, no smell that I noticed, Rialto bridge and bridge of sighs were highlights!
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maleficent wrote: »
    I go every New Year - great way to beat the post-Christmas misery. Weather has always been super sunny but cold.

Cicchetti bars are great. Went to the cemetery island for the first time this year and that's lovely on a nice day - all the graves have photos (some quite comical ones like a hubby and wife throttling each other).

Now for my area of expertise - food n booze.
    I'll second Gia Schiavi (and the Dorsoduro seafront - Zattere - is a nice spot for an outdoor sunset spritz).

Muro bar by the Rialto fishmarket. Great atmos and great spritzes, very cheap for booze. On Saturdays around midday the owner does an Al Fresco dining thing in the square all year round - 8Euros for a big plate of fried seafood fresh from the market (the dishes vary) and a glass of prosecco. That was ace. Good spot for a drinky at night too.

Another good cicchetti bar spot is Luca e Fred - on the main street running from the train station to the centre. The Cannaregio area is lovely to walk around - lovely and peaceful when bustling elsewhere. Take a map whatever you do!

My fave bar has to be Osteria Da Baco - just beyond St. Mark's square. Amazing wine selection - their fragolino is just gorgeous - all are just over 2 Euros. Cosy but lively and full of locals. You can get there from along the waterfront between St Mark's and San Zaccaria. Take the left sidestreet 'Calle Rasse' and you're there.

Drink ~

prosecco
    spritz (I like the Campari one but it's an acquired taste)
    fragolino (strawberry-tasting grapes, slightly fizzy)

You'll get charged more if you wait for table service rather than go up to the bar - not really much in it though.

Have an amazing time XXX

Thanks Maleficent - Have just got around to making some important notes - re. food and drink must do's/haves! :p - a belated thanks to you and others for taking the time to go into so much detail. x
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sure stank when I was there .

We went in August and it was very hot - but it did not smell.

Fabulous place - OP have a wonderful time. I think you have got some great advice already.

I would endorse the advice to just walk around and see where it takes you. We found some enchanting little bridges and quiet squares off the beaten track. We enjoyed the Peggy Guggenheim Museum, but it all depends how modern you like your art.

We took a water taxi from the airport across to St Mark's Square - not cheap, but the boat was gorgeous and made our arrival feel quite special.

I really enjoyed Murano - we didn't buy anything, just looked in the shops, went round the glass museum and soaked up the sleepy atmosphere. I don't recall being pestered by anyone - but maybe we looked so cheap that they didn't think we were worth the effort!

I would also love to go back - found it a magical place.