Options

Woman takes nearly half an hour to parallel park her car

toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
Forum Member
Just seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tf4TIWECZ30

This was filmed in the student area here in Belfast....

haha - why even bother? I would be so embarrassed ... end up driving away.

Luckily for me, I can swing my car into a parallel parking spot in one go - don't understand why people find it so difficult - I have a few friends that are nervous/anxious while parallel parking - but even they aren't this bad and certainly wouldn't take that long.

Love the bit in the video where the girl who owns the car in front comes along and gets in, then decides to get out and walk away again lol!!
:D:D

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have given up after a minute for sure! I'm quite good at parallel parking but sometimes I have days where it just goes wrong. That woman must have massive patience to make up for her lack of parking skills.

The guys filming sound like nobs though.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of the time a friend of mine took forever parking her car. We were all sat in the living room watching. It was hilarious.:o
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Haven't looked at the clip but half an hour is pretty quick for a woman.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Surely it would be easier parking somewhere you can drive straight into, 25 minutes away, and walk! :D
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time a friend of mine took forever parking her car. We were all sat in the living room watching. It was hilarious.:o

I did this outside a pub in the village High Street once when I'd not long passed my test - the men were coming out onto the pavement just to get a better view!!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of one of the nights we were doing hill sprints and there was a learner driver on the hill.

God help her, she kept stalling and the longer she was there, the worse it got.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Isn't parallel parking a mandatory part of the driving test any more? How on earth did this woman pass?

I passed mine over 20 years ago and everybody I knew had to do it on their test.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Isn't parallel parking a mandatory part of the driving test any more? How on earth did this woman pass?

I passed mine over 20 years ago and everybody I knew had to do it on their test.

It took me 4 tests to pass and I never once had to do it on a test. Learned it but was never tested on it.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Haven't looked at the clip but half an hour is pretty quick for a woman.

:mad: Thanks. I was just slapped by my sister for laughing at this :D Whatever. Still funny.
  • Options
    toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member

Don't know about the rest of the U.K, but here in Northern Ireland - you get 2 of the 4 manoeuvres - parallel parking, reversing around corner, 3-point turn or reversing into a car parking space. On my test (near 8 years ago), I got 3-point turn and reversing into a car park space.

She must never have had a need to parallel park before :D
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Has Half An Hour Been 14 Minutes And 32 Seconds :rolleyes: and the people who are filming this are rather sad individuals
  • Options
    SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Has Half An Hour Been 14 Minutes And 32 Seconds :rolleyes: and the people who are filming this are rather sad individuals

Oh dear. :D

They started filming half way through.

You need to apologise :cool:

ETA that was seriously funny!
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I passed mine a couple of years ago, we were taught to parallel park, turn in the road, and reverse round a corner. Oddly enough, no bay parking was included in the test, apparently because my local test centre doesn't have a car park with bays, so you aren't tested on it. That was fun, teaching myself how to do that, but I digress.:o The examiner is allowed to choose which of those manoeuvres they want you to do. I think it's just the one per test, though they might be able to get you to do more. I can't remember, now.

Parallel parking I found easy, I just made reference points on the car, ie rear door handle is in a particular place, so full turn of the wheel etc, though I can understand it wouldn't work for everyone.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to remain this thread 'Person on the internet lacks concept of time'.

The fact that someone seemingly can't tell the difference between fifteen minutes and half an hour is far more shocking in this day and age than someone taking nearly fifteen minutes to parallel park.

Since when has fourteen minutes been anywhere near "nearly half an hour"? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    We need to remain this thread 'Person on the internet lacks concept of time'.

The fact that someone seemingly can't tell the difference between fifteen minutes and half an hour is far more shocking in this day and age than someone taking nearly fifteen minutes to parallel park.

Since when has fourteen minutes been anywhere near "nearly half an hour"? :eek:

Oops and another one who comments without watching :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ssdd wrote: »

...no, I watched it. Hyperbole gets the better of people on the internet. Forgive me if I don't quite believe that it was half an hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and one who believes that cause they said she was there twenty minutes on video you actually believe them :rolleyes:
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like she had no idea which way to turn the steering wheel and when to do so.

:D
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have to do 1 of 3 manouvres, (obviously you learn all 3 because you don't know which you'll get)

Parallel parking (reverse park excersise)
    3 point turn (turn in the road)
    reverse round a corner.

I did 2 driving tests before I passed, and was never tested on reversing round a corner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With her complete ineptitude, I'd have fully believed it if they'd said she'd been there trying to park it for the last fortnight.

She could have had a mate regularly topping the petrol up with a jerry can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now both of you are pretending you simply don't believe them rather than rushing to criticise the OP :D. Funny.

So do you both think she just started when they started recording? Because you both comment on the 14 minutes. I guess they didn't really offer to help and when one of the guys said "is she still parking?" after two minutes they weren't talking about before we started watching?

Behave :D
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With her complete ineptitude, I'd have fully believed it if they'd said she'd been there trying to park it for the last fortnight.

She could have had a mate regularly topping the petrol up with a jerry can.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now both of you are pretending you simply don't believe them rather than rushing to criticise the OP :D. Funny.

So do you both think she just started when they started recording? Because you both comment on the 14 minutes. I guess they didn't really offer to help and when one of the guys said "is she still parking?" after two minutes they weren't talking about before we started watching?

Ahhh, I see we have a DS smart-arse on our hands. Funny :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    You have to do 1 of 3 manouvres, (obviously you learn all 3 because you don't know which you'll get)

Parallel parking (reverse park excersise)
    3 point turn (turn in the road)
    reverse round a corner.

I did 2 driving tests before I passed, and was never tested on reversing round a corner.

I recall learning all three manouvres, on my test I remember doing the parallel park and the 3 point turn. Everyone I knew had to do the parallel park, I assumed this was because it was one that would be used most often in everyday driving.

It's quite unbelievable that someone with such a lack of basic driving skills as in that video is allowed to pass a test rendering her able to legally drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i find it sad that you actually believe it ,:rolleyes: its a rather pathetic video as well