Hard Drive Failing

Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

My HDD is failing. Basically it already has, though some programmes still work and I can still access all my files....
Some programmes like Spotify don't work and tell me my HDD is full. Some programmes don't work at all. And Windows Explorer runs 1 out of every 10 times.

I have everything backed-up, including Windows.

My problem. I need to buy a hard drive in a shop. I can't order one for delivery.
I've looked in some shops and can't see HDD for sale. Only portable hard drives.
Any idea where I can buy one? (Or, can I buy an external drive and break it open for the HDD?)

I have a laptop with a 2.5'' SATA HDD.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could perhaps order one from Amazon and take advantage of their Amazon Locker facility:
    Amazon Locker provides you with a self-service delivery location to pick up your Amazon.co.uk parcels. Lockers are currently available in a variety of locations throughout the UK.

Instead of delivering a parcel to your home or business address, you can select an Amazon Locker location and pick up your parcel at a time that's convenient for you. Once your parcel is delivered to the Amazon Locker, you'll receive an e-mail notification with a unique pick-up code.

When you arrive to collect your parcel, enter your pick-up code or scan the barcode using the barcode scanner and follow the instructions on the screen.

All parcels delivered to Amazon Locker locations must be picked up within three business days. If you're not able to collect your parcel within this timeframe, the parcel will be returned to us for a refund. When your parcel is delivered, you'll receive an e-mail from us that includes the address and opening times for your selected Locker location. This information will provide the most accurate, up-to-date opening times for you.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_492868_top_loc?nodeId=200966210
  • Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    You could perhaps order one from Amazon and take advantage of their Amazon Locker facility:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_492868_top_loc?nodeId=200966210

I'm not in the UK at the moment, and only have access ti computer shops. Thanks though :)
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Sun! wrote: »
    Hi,

My HDD is failing. Basically it already has, though some programmes still work and I can still access all my files....
    Some programmes like Spotify don't work and tell me my HDD is full. Some programmes don't work at all. And Windows Explorer runs 1 out of every 10 times.

I have everything backed-up, including Windows.

My problem. I need to buy a hard drive in a shop. I can't order one for delivery.
    I've looked in some shops and can't see HDD for sale. Only portable hard drives.
    Any idea where I can buy one? (Or, can I buy an external drive and break it open for the HDD?)
    I have a laptop with a 2.5'' SATA HDD.

Well the obvious place is PC World, who may stock them in their larger stores. Not much use if you aren't in the UK though.

If you are comfortable with opening up your laptop and can get at the hard drive to remove it, and if it uses standard SATA connectors and power (there are bound to be googlable articles or specs. online to tell you about that), you can probably dismantle a portable 2.5 inch hard drive to remove the drive, which will be plugged into the usb adaptor circuits inside the box. Make sure that the power and data sockets in the drive you remove from the portable drive are going to match the cables inside your laptop.

One advantage of buying in a shop of course is that you can check all this out before you leave the shop so go for it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Well the obvious place is PC World, who may stock them in their larger stores. Not much use if you aren't in the UK though.

If you are comfortable with opening up your laptop and can get at the hard drive to remove it, and if it uses standard SATA connectors and power (there are bound to be googlable articles or specs. online to tell you about that), you can probably dismantle a portable 2.5 inch hard drive to remove the drive, which will be plugged into the usb adaptor circuits inside the box. One advantage of buying in a shop is that you can check all this out before you leave the shop so go for it!

Hi. Yes, it uses a standard Sata connection (Like here- http://www.newmodeus.com/harddrives/SATAPATA.jpg)
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun! wrote: »
    I'm not in the UK at the moment, and only have access ti computer shops. Thanks though :)

So you aren't in the UK, and aren't telling us where you are?

How are we supposed to suggest where you pick up a hard drive if we don't even know what country you are in?
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Not in the UK. Can't take deliveries. Not excatly helpful.

I suggest you burgle your neighbours and nick a hard drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping you would tell me what type of external hard drive I could buy, that I could then break open and use. And whether this was possible.

I am in Sofia, Bulgaria at the moment. And will be for another 4/5 weeks. Not ideal without a computer.