Job reference advice

Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After I left my last job in 2012 the company was taken over by new management so none of the senior management from when I was employed are still there. My line manager has also left. I am currently applying for jobs and have no idea what to put in thr reference section. I can't explain the situation as it just gives you the sections to put in name, position, company etc. I can't really explain what I mean but I'm sure if any of you have recently applied for a job will get what I mean lol. I've text my friend who also works there to ask her if any management is still there from when I was but I'm positive the last time I asked her there was only one who I had never even spoke to. Would this matter? Sorry for rambling on. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you friends with any of your former management?? just ask for personal numbers and email addresses. that's what I've done when former managers have left.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem! All the public sector organisations i used to work for have all been abolished and replaced. Even the central government department's have since been abolished.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you friends with any of your former management?? just ask for personal numbers and email addresses. that's what I've done when former managers have left.
    No I'm not unfortunately. The friend I mentioned in my original post is the niece of my old line manager. I left the company on really bad terms due to having post natal depression which actually resulted in my dismissal so I'd be a bit embarassed to ask her. Infact I'm actually really worried about asking the company for a refernece full stop due to this. I feel like I'll never be accepted for another job in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I have the same problem! All the public sector organisations i used to work for have all been abolished and replaced. Even the central government department's have since been abolished.

That's a pain :(
  • NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leave that section blank - they will only take them if they want to recruit you.

If they then ask, explain the situation and ask them what they would accept as an alternative (earlier employer / friend reference etc).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave that section blank - they will only take them if they want to recruit you.

If they then ask, explain the situation and ask them what they would accept as an alternative (earlier employer / friend reference etc).
    I did think of doing this but I'm in the middle of using the Universal Jobmatch CV builder and this section is marked (*) so I don't have the choice here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    No I'm not unfortunately. The friend I mentioned in my original post is the niece of my old line manager. I left the company on really bad terms due to having post natal depression which actually resulted in my dismissal so I'd be a bit embarassed to ask her. Infact I'm actually really worried about asking the company for a refernece full stop due to this. I feel like I'll never be accepted for another job in the future.

I've had that situation before and asked why I departed which I said was due to unrealistic targets. just leave it blank as someone else said.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

my last two jobs never even asked for them!
    and most companies now only give references in terms of "yes this person worked for us between x and y and in the job title z" and nothing more.

if the companies still exist in any form them simply give them the HR contact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think of doing this but I'm in the middle of using the Universal Jobmatch CV builder and this section is marked (*) so I don't have the choice here.

put down the job you had before this one if you worked anywhere else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    and most companies now only give references in terms of "yes this person worked for us between x and y and in the job title z" and nothing more.

Thanks I think I'm just going to find out the current HR contact and put them in so they can at least confirm my employment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    put down the job you had before this one if you worked anywhere else

First proper job unfortunately plus the job I'm going to be applying for is similar to my old one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First proper job unfortunately plus the job I'm going to be applying for is similar to my old one.

anyone from college or uni you can use. or someone that you got on with at work can do a bit of bullshitting and say they was your manager.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone from college or uni you can use. or someone that you got on with at work can do a bit of bullshitting and say they was your manager.

One of my best friend's works there but I'd be a bit worried about beimg caught out.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

don't use fake references, that's worse than not providing any.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »

This has been my experience too. Just put in the company details with either the name of a HR person or the name of your former manager. If you're invited for interview you can explain the situation to them then.

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been my experience too. Just put in the company details with either the name of a HR person or the name of your former manager. If you're invited for interview you can explain the situation to them then.

Good luck!

Thanks think I'm going to go along with the HR advice. I was just a bit worried as they won't personally know me but at least they can confirm my employment.