Options

Social work experience

XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
Forum Member
I was after a bit of advice on finding work experience in the social work field. I plan to apply to do a social work degree at university for September 2011. Most of the courses say you need 3 months experience in a social work setting. This is not easy due to the confidentiality issues. I have spoken to lots of charities and voluntary bodies but I'm still not sure I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Is there anyone here who could offer me some advice please? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Sensual LettuceSensual Lettuce Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dumb question, but what social experience do you need to have? I have thought about maybe doing Social at Uni one day myself, what is the entry requirements?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not a dumb question and this is the problems, how specific does it have to be?! I can't seem to find any answers. When I looked at the criteria for applying on some social work courses, they requested work experience in a social work placement.
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    I was after a bit of advice on finding work experience in the social work field. I plan to apply to do a social work degree at university for September 2011. Most of the courses say you need 3 months experience in a social work setting. This is not easy due to the confidentiality issues. I have spoken to lots of charities and voluntary bodies but I'm still not sure I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Is there anyone here who could offer me some advice please? Thank you.

Doing some work with the Samaritans used to help. I don't know if it still does. Good luck.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should look at all types working with the elderly, young adult, youth work, children with disabilities they properly look favourably on have a bit a variety, ask about look at charities, volunteer organisations, schools,hospitals for work experience even try social services see if they can recommend something.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Have you gone directly to local authorities and asked what training / support they provide? I know recruitment into the field is problamatic and I am sure they would like to hear from people intrested in signing up.

They will also offer work that does not need a social work qualification whcih could help you get on the ladder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    My friend is doing sociall work at uni right now and she voulnteered for about 6 months at a childs youth club. She did this just before uni and put it on her personal statemnt. I think you might have better luck going about contacting youth group/afterschool club. Remember social work is all people, not just old, disabled, drug people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kinda things do you study on a social work uni course? Policies, Procedures, Healthy & Safety, Laws etc? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been continuing to research.
    What kinda things do you study on a social work uni course? Policies, Procedures, Healthy & Safety, Laws etc? :confused:

Yep, all those things you suggested and also, learning how to practice effectively. There is a 200 day placement within the degree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    I did an Access course with a number of people going on to do social work and some of them had done voluntary work with Homestart - I think it's a national charity but it helps families for a variety of reasons mainly through one to one support... :)

Edit: yes it is national - http://www.home-start.org.uk/homepage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been continuing to research.

Yep, all those things you suggested and also, learning how to practice effectively. There is a 200 day placement within the degree.

:o Sounds rather boring to be honest! :eek: Not sure that much paperwork and policies and whatnot is my kinda thing! The idea of studying the Health and Safety Act too me sounds like pure torture.

What is the placement about? The practial side of the course?