SuBo Drunk or High on US TV

14567810»

Comments

• twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 100% NOT buying the "viral throat infection" story that her PR put out to excuse the failures in NY & the following week on the Jonathan Ross show. First of all, they said she picked up the infection in NY - well she hadn't even been in the US for 24 hours! Then the day after Wendy, they took her on a rickshaw ride in the cold in Central Park. As if that's what you do with a singer with a throat infection. And Susan was out & about throughout that time period, went to a concert in Glasgow, shopping in both NY and London. Most damning of all was that there was NO trace of a throat problem in her voice, either speaking or singing!! Her PR should pick a more believable cover story.

Susan had flown from Scotland to Houston, Texas two days before that, where she sang 4 songs before 16,000. That was her first US stop. Are you kidding? She probably was coming down with it before she left Scotland and then a 10 hour flight. Two days in Houston giving 10 local media interviews, an hour meeting with Texas fans then back on the plane to NY. Next day 3 more shows scheduled. Did the first and second but struggled with Wendy Williams and had to cancel Katie Couric's the following day. And flew back to London where she tried to do a TV show there but was too sick to get through the rehearsal. She was sick.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh baloney (if you don't mind my saying so), Asperger's has nothing to do with it, otherwise she would have had performance problems all along. Look at how naturally great she was 4 years ago -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J02Ym5bids

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDvFFJVBp0

for just two examples of her face telling the story along with her voice.

IMO it's a matter of her confidence in her natural ability being destroyed since that time by all these self-important vocal coaches telling her sing it this way, sing it that way, move like this, move like that, in paint-by-the-numbers fashion, until their instructions are all she can concentrate on when she's in a high-stress situation like live TV, and her native instincts desert her. Other factors in this particular performance on the Wendy show could have been the situation with Gerry or even earpiece problems.

But Syco is counting on the public to give her a break for every shoddy performance from here on out with the thinking that, oh it must be her Asperger's - hence their massive "Asperger's-reveal" campaign complete with documentary, and magazine & newspaper articles & photo shoots, all timed for the week of her CD release & promo. Successfully I might add, because the Asperger's excuse has popped up all over the Internet since then.

Actually, Susan does need vocal coaching. From the very beginning (her first appearance on BGT), she was singing out of time, running out of breath in odd places and making simple errors that a good vocal coach could help her iron out.
  • thistledounthistledoun Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    twells wrote: »
    Susan had flown from Scotland to Houston, Texas two days before that, where she sang 4 songs before 16,000. That was her first US stop. Are you kidding? She probably was coming down with it before she left Scotland and then a 10 hour flight. Two days in Houston giving 10 local media interviews, an hour meeting with Texas fans then back on the plane to NY. Next day 3 more shows scheduled. Did the first and second but struggled with Wendy Williams and had to cancel Katie Couric's the following day. And flew back to London where she tried to do a TV show there but was too sick to get through the rehearsal. She was sick.

You are way off about the dates of her US performances. She was in Houston Nov. 17-18 & flew back to the UK; then, over two weeks later, she RETURNED to the US for Wendy, Katie, etc. (Dec. 3-5); she did NOT take a plane from Houston to NY.

She did NOT sound like she had a sore throat on Wendy - not a SINGLE tweeter noticed any throat problem, and believe me there were plenty of tweets about her condition, as the title of this thread makes clear. If she DID come down with a sore throat in NY as her PR claimed, she wouldn't have been out socializing, shopping, etc. in the intervening days before her crucial promo performances in the UK on Dec. 9 that she ended up aborting.
  • thistledounthistledoun Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    Actually, Susan does need vocal coaching. From the very beginning (her first appearance on BGT), she was singing out of time, running out of breath in odd places and making simple errors that a good vocal coach could help her iron out.

Yes she definitely needs help with all those things. Four years and several high-profile vocal coaches later, however, she is no better and perhaps worse (especially the timing). Those vocal coaches, mainly the first one, seemed to be intent only on imposing their own ideas of vocal styling. Her most recent coach was actually standing behind the scrim on the set in NY, telling her how to move and when to smile. Those are the least of her worries!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are way off about the dates of her US performances. She was in Houston Nov. 17-18 & flew back to the UK; then, over two weeks later, she RETURNED to the US for Wendy, Katie, etc. (Dec. 3-5); she did NOT take a plane from Houston to NY.

She did NOT sound like she had a sore throat on Wendy - not a SINGLE tweeter noticed any throat problem, and believe me there were plenty of tweets about her condition, as the title of this thread makes clear. If she DID come down with a sore throat in NY as her PR claimed, she wouldn't have been out socializing, shopping, etc. in the intervening days before her crucial promo performances in the UK on Dec. 9 that she ended up aborting.

You're right about me mixing up the dates. But how does that relate to her having a virus. She went back back to the UK to promote some more and deal with her brother Gerry's ongoing business problems. You're saying she couldn't have been worn down and sick. Why?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

LOL. Her brother Gerry has certainly tried. But I believe even his worst enemies (most of the rest of the family) think he's only gotten about $800,000 in the last 4 years. And probably another $1 million spread among the other 20 family members, so she probably has a few bob left.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shed have to be mad to want to be a cashier with Ladbrokes its one of the most thankless jobs going
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised anyone can write this tosh and think anyone will believe it (the article)One of her relatives works in my building and Susan is doing just fine!
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairly certain she applied to Ladbrokes more to keep herself occupied and part of the community, than for the pay. She only needs to do 3 or 4 private concerts/PAs a year and she's loaded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Fairly certain she applied to Ladbrokes more to keep herself occupied and part of the community, than for the pay. She only needs to do 3 or 4 private concerts/PAs a year and she's loaded.

Yep. Absolutely right. Plus, she's got a 19 date UK tour coming up March and April and it's already close to sold out Estimates of her wealth range from $18 million to $30 million. But even at the low end, she has all the money she will ever need. As to the betting shop story,maybe she wanted to know if, when she retired, she could get a part time job close to home to keep busy. Who knows.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else find the level of speculation/gossip about Susan's private life in this thread a bit creepy and invasive? I know I do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Absolutely right. Plus, she's got a 19 date UK tour coming up March and April and it's already close to sold out Estimates of her wealth range from $18 million to $30 million. But even at the low end, she has all the money she will ever need. As to the betting shop story,maybe she wanted to know if, when she retired, she could get a part time job close to home to keep busy. Who knows.

I would say that she definitely applied for Ladbrokes she's applied before apparently , I can only assume she did it because she likes being alone , since Ladbrokes single man for a large proportion of the day
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm - lets apply Occam's razor here:
    1. Multi millionaire Susan Boyle, with a sellout tour in the offing, has applied for a minimum wage job in her local bookies.
    2. Manager of local bookies claims Susan has applied as a joke, but is taken seriously by credulous journo looking for a story to fill his paper.

I wonder which could be the truth...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Hmmm - lets apply Occam's razor here:
    1. Multi millionaire Susan Boyle, with a sellout tour in the offing, has applied for a minimum wage job in her local bookies.
    2. Manager of local bookies claims Susan has applied as a joke, but is taken seriously by credulous journo looking for a story to fill his paper.

I wonder which could be the truth...

head office confirmed that shed applied and has applied before I don't think they would do it if they were going to get found out lying , she's a law unto herself I dont find it that hard to believe
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    head office confirmed that shed applied and has applied before I don't think they would do it if they were going to get found out lying , she's a law unto herself I dont find it that hard to believe

really?

i'd assumed this was some Ladbrookes stunt and they were going to produce a look alike
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else find the level of speculation/gossip about Susan's private life in this thread a bit creepy and invasive? I know I do.

There's nothing creepy about applying for a minimum wage job when you're a multimillionaire or wondering why. I suspect the poster who said Susan Boyle "is a law unto herself", or at least marches to her own drum, is about right. And I bet it was jusr an impulse. She saw the sign and went in.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing creepy about applying for a minimum wage job when you're a multimillionaire or wondering why. I suspect the poster who said Susan Boyle "is a law unto herself", or at least marches to her own drum, is about right. And I bet it was jusr an impulse. She saw the sign and went in.

Um, I wasn't talking about that at all and I'm not sure why you automatically assumed I was.

I'm in fact talking about the posts made by yourself and thistledoun where you extensively discuss Susan's family/private life in such a way it seems like you somehow have insider info and which takes idle gossip and speculation too far for my liking. Maybe it's a case of horses for courses but I find discussions about Susan by you two creepy and invasive.