Corrie just can't win

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
If there is stunts and affairs people give out.
People want more "normal Corrie" what they know and love.
Corrie gives us the (IMO very funny) sofa plot.
Everyone complains about how stupid it is.

Can Corrie ever win?

Comments

• Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Seanie(: wrote: »

Can Corrie ever win?

Repeat post from another thread

The problem is that the audience for Corrie is basically split in three. You have those who prefer the big exciting dramatic stories, those who prefer the smaller comedy character interaction stories and those who enjoy both types of stories.

However it is the 1st two types that are the main problem. If Corrie has a big exciting dramatic set piece story those who prefer the smaller comedy character interaction stories complain. On the other hand if the series has a period of smaller comedy character interaction stories those who prefer the big exciting dramatic stories complain that it is boring.

So the writers and producers in trying to cater for both types of audience are failing to satisfy both groups.

In my opinion there should be a complete ban on murders, major fires, tram crashes etc for at least five years and they should concentrate on problems that affect people in the normal world (very few people will experience murders, fires and tram/train crashes etc)

The upcoming mini-bus crash maybe ok as this looks like it will be a small event and is the sort of thing that does happen in the real world.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfunniest thing ever - some people must be easily pleased LOL
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Historically, CS has done comedy very well, but it's just awful and cringe worthy now.
    The sofa comedy was pathetic and unfunny.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sofa story has gone down very well on other places online.

The hate towards Corrie and Stuart Blackburn on DS borders on parody at times.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie is dibolical at the moment. It's like watching paint dry. Stuart Blackburn is the worst producer ever! And I suggest that those who like the comedy aspect of Corrie and not the drama, is to watch an actual comedy. Corrie is a soap. Not that you would think that at the moment it's that bad. But I'm hoping it will get good again.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because no matter what happens, people will complain and whine because things aren't tailored to exactly how they want it to be. As you said, Corrie can't win.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Corrie is dibolical at the moment. It's like watching paint dry. Stuart Blackburn is the worst producer ever! And I suggest that those who like the comedy aspect of Corrie and not the drama, is to watch an actual comedy. Corrie is a soap. Not that you would think that at the moment it's that bad. But I'm hoping it will get good again.

Soaps and comedy aren't mutually exclusive. Actually, they would be a poor reflection of real life if they didn't include comedy.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed! And once the good old bandwagon starts rolling, there's nothing to be done except wait it out. Give it a few months and Corrie will be the best thing since sliced bread because the bandwagon jumpers will be scrabbling to jump on to the next one, (which I suspect is going to be the 'ED is crap' bandwagon, which is currently gaining DS momentum).

Who cares? Watch it or don't - nobody cares except the advertisers, who are no doubt perfectly satisfied that Corrie is, and probably always will be, the No.1 soap in terms of viewer numbers, (hence advertising reach). :)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

I agree , it is fashionable on DS to hate it regardless of its success or the stories involved

For me even though it has not been at its best at times this year, it is still on the whole the number one soap.
  • AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Unfunniest thing ever - some people must be easily pleased LOL

Your bias know no imits
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soaps and comedy aren't mutually exclusive. Actually, they would be a poor reflection of real life if they didn't include comedy.

Exactly. At it's best Corrie has always been very funny. That comedy should be character based as in the sofa story rather than contrived as the roof rubbish was.

Anyone eho rejects comedy in Corrie as being stupid by definition doesn't understand Corrie at all and is watching the wrong show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by the posting history of some of the most virulent detractors there may be an intent to detract from Corrie at all costs.

Corrie has been poor this year, but Friday's episodes were a rare treat and as I've stated elsewhere signal a new Kevin Webster era. Im pleased the PTB have not got him back with Sally or had him obsessively trying to break her and Tim up.

Sally and Tim have classic couple written all over them and Corrie badly needs that. Keep them together and no cheating please!

Kev, a character that dates back to 1983 is a valuable asset and I really liked Diane, although I know Jenny Bradley is returning soon...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Agreed! And once the good old bandwagon starts rolling, there's nothing to be done except wait it out. Give it a few months and Corrie will be the best thing since sliced bread because the bandwagon jumpers will be scrabbling to jump on to the next one, (which I suspect is going to be the 'ED is crap' bandwagon, which is currently gaining DS momentum).

Who cares? Watch it or don't - nobody cares except the advertisers, who are no doubt perfectly satisfied that Corrie is, and probably always will be, the No.1 soap in terms of viewer numbers, (hence advertising reach). :)

That simply won't happen OJ. As long as I have been on here Corrie has always had overwhelming negative criticism directed at it even when the show was at the top of its game. Corrie is rarely given credit on here when deserved compared to EastEnders and Emmerdale.

The OP makes an excellent argument when stating that no matter what Corrie does people on here will always find something to complain about...
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Historically, CS has done comedy very well, but it's just awful and cringe worthy now.
    On the face of it, sofagate is rubbish. But I have to give the writers some credit -- used the best couple on the street to do a lighthearted story. Plus it's refreshing to see Kevin involved in something that doesn't make him shout or bicker.

Indefinitely better than Neil stuck up on the roof.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    That simply won't happen OJ. As long as I have been on here Corrie has always had overwhelming negative criticism directed at it even when the show was at the top of its game. Corrie is rarely given credit on here when deserved compared to EastEnders and Emmerdale.

The OP makes an excellent argument when stating that no matter what Corrie does people on here will always find something to complain about...
    Oh I know - totally agree, but that's just a couple dozen people on DS and the (largely) youngsters on Twitter. Doesn't reflect its popularity in 'the real world' one iota. It's just that Corrie fans, for whatever reason, tend to be less vociferous in their praise of the good bits, whilst non-fans can't wait to batter it at any opportunity. I suspect people who enjoy Corrie are happy to just enjoy it and can't be arsed twittering and DS-ing about it tbh. :)
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly, Corrie comedy is no longer that funny and it feels VERY forced!

It doesn't help they did a whole episode revolving around the sofa plot...

Maybe with a big story alongside it, but what we got was half an hour of drivel! Parts were funny, but not as hilarious as some people like to make out!

The whole sofa plot on the whole is something you'd expect as a summer/filler plot, not a whole episode revolving around it, in the run up towards Christmas!
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People seem to jump on the hate bandwagon on here. It's silly.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie has enough dead wood to rebuild Noah's ark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Tracy and Tony affair (which looks promising), Kylie drugs plot/Callum, Steve's depression and Gavin's story will be the main focus this festive season. And they'll only start to kick in next week!
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seanie(: wrote: »

Can Corrie ever win?

Quality and plausibilty is lacking with Corrie.

Stunts - The roof scenario with Tim, Andrea and Neil was ludicrous. The guttering would not have held Andrea and Liz McDonald's screeching at them to come down was cringeworthy. Tina's fall was not believable. There was a railing. She would have hit that. But she obviously did a Fosbury Flop and missed it! http://www.wpclipart.com/recreation/sports/track_and_field/Fosbury_flop__pole_vault.png

Comedy - Too forced and far fetched. One off sex in the middle of the day in a camper van outside The Kabin for comedy purposes. The aforementioned roof debacle. Michelle dragging Steve by his ear. The red sofa and the meal in the Bistro. Diane must be be a complete idiot not to have noticed the strange looks and interuptions between the others. Norris and his parcel. Poor Deirdre and Gail they've got older and are now banished to being comedy characters.

Affairs - Peter and Tina? Really?

Tyrone's loft extension. Wht idiot goes up into an unfinished loft extension stands on a ladder and then falls through the ceiling AND the beams?

Windyarses and Phelan. So Gary lamps Phelan and that ends up with Anna having to sleep with Phelan and Owen losing his business and his house.

Corrie lacks decent planning. They are too scared to let any of the crap members of the cast go. They persist in keeping unpopular characters. They are trying to make the viewers like Michelle. They have quietened down foghorn Webster. Fortunately, Fiz has left for a time but no doubt she'll be back. The Corrie bods need to be braver and make some big changes.

At the moment, Corrie it is stuck in a rut of its own making.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it, the sofa plot was actually quiet entertaining :eek:
  • Kazz_xKazz_x Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hold off commenting on here because you do get your head bit off by SOME posters for having a differing opinion. I really enjoy Corrie. I found the sofa storyline really funny and it was some light relief at the end of a horrible exam filled week for me. I also enjoy the high drama stuff. It is a soap at the end of the day. It is dramatised reality in my opinion. The writers are only human and to continually write for a soap that runs for this long, it must be difficult to have new ideas all the time. I think some people need to cut Corrie some slack. Or maybe I am just easily pleased. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Quality and plausibilty is lacking with Corrie.

Stunts - The roof scenario with Tim, Andrea and Neil was ludicrous. The guttering would not have held Andrea and Liz McDonald's screeching at them to come down was cringeworthy. Tina's fall was not believable. There was a railing. She would have hit that. But she obviously did a Fosbury Flop and missed it! http://www.wpclipart.com/recreation/sports/track_and_field/Fosbury_flop__pole_vault.png

Comedy - Too forced and far fetched. One off sex in the middle of the day in a camper van outside The Kabin for comedy purposes. The aforementioned roof debacle. Michelle dragging Steve by his ear. The red sofa and the meal in the Bistro. Diane must be be a complete idiot not to have noticed the strange looks and interuptions between the others. Norris and his parcel. Poor Deirdre and Gail they've got older and are now banished to being comedy characters.

Affairs - Peter and Tina? Really?

Tyrone's loft extension. Wht idiot goes up into an unfinished loft extension stands on a ladder and then falls through the ceiling AND the beams?

Windyarses and Phelan. So Gary lamps Phelan and that ends up with Anna having to sleep with Phelan and Owen losing his business and his house.

Corrie lacks decent planning. They are too scared to let any of the crap members of the cast go. They persist in keeping unpopular characters. They are trying to make the viewers like Michelle. They have quietened down foghorn Webster. Fortunately, Fiz has left for a time but no doubt she'll be back. The Corrie bods need to be braver and make some big changes.

At the moment, Corrie it is stuck in a rut of its own making.

You are right that Corrie has been low quality this year and the roof episodes were the worst I've ever seen (watched since 1985). The sofa is different though and based around character and farce - something Corrie has always done like it or not.

Your disection of the plausibilty of the plots above could be applied to every single soap plots. EE in particular is more full of plot holes than your average doily - however if it's entertaining it can be overlooked. Generally EE has been entertaining this year, but make no mistake it's been incoherent, silly and ridiculous too.

EDIT: Id also add that the level of coincidence in the Lucy murder plot renders that ridiculous.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corrio is, and always will be, the Number 1 soap.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new generation are obnoxious, bland charcters who change personality every 5 minutes depending what issue they want to cover.