Options

Summer weather ends today as the UK enters an arctic plunge?

Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hope you made the most of the sunshine as from friday onwards temperatures will plumet, the rain will set in, and we could have snow next tuesday.

The sun has just set, we've seen the last of it now, the winter weather starts tommorow, looks like we've had the summer.

Be prepared for the arctic plunge.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-recent-heatwave-blighted-by-imminent-mini-arctic-plunge-with-april-showers-over-weekend-10189467.html

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/mini-arctic-plunge-way-according-weather/story-26364375-detail/story.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/572323/Weather-freeze-forecast-UK-temperatures-plunge-after-heatwave

Comments

• Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off to Spain on Sunday, it is the In-Laws though.:):(
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    It's a slow process but the wind will gradually become a northerly, Scotland will start with the the cold and then it will be down into southern England for Monday....brrrrrr

Snow on high ground in the north too, it's not over yet!
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Good :D
  • Options
    Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ne'er cast a clout till May be out. ;-)
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ne'er cast a clout till May be out. ;-)
    I have seen it claimed that May refers to mayflower and not the Merry Month.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    lovely cold weather excellent news. just what i was hoping for.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Summer weather ends????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, I'm already fed up of the warm weather.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It did start to get warmer here when I went to California for Easter. Shall I head back to San Diego and nick some more of their sunshine? :D
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    It did start to get warmer here when I went to California for Easter. Shall I head back to San Diego and nick some more of their sunshine? :D

Yes! Hurry! I only this week deemed it safe to plant my frost sensitive plants >:(
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! Hurry! I only this week deemed it safe to plant my frost sensitive plants >:(

You're in luck! According to the stamp in my passport, it's classed until June! :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I can't remember the last time it rained here. It's been like summer for ages. I don't want the hot weather to end. :(
  • Options
    golden raygolden ray Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    But officially it's supposed to be spring.

Summer hasn't started yet!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The masochists who enjoy wasp stings / sunburn / humid sleepless nights / sweat etc will be gutted.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in time for my day off work tomorrow. 'Sake!
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's amazing we get glorious weather in April or May with record high temperatures for the time of year that suggests if it was July or August with the uk similarly under the azores high that temperatures would eventually be soaring into the high 30's even perhaps into the 40's degrees C in a few spots with a bit of luck. But it never seems to happen though.

Thank goodness in many ways that the azores high doesn't sustain too long over the Uk even in the height of summer very often, and we would need quite a few waves of the azores high with very few of briefest of interludes of the moist atlantic air to achieve extreme heat temperatures in July or August under the azores high. But thank goodness sustained temperatures of 33 to 37 degrees C in parts of the uk is only partial of a settied spell once in every several years.

It will never reach 40 + degrees C in the height of summer anywhere in the uk ever.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Hope you made the most of the sunshine as from friday onwards temperatures will plumet, the rain will set in, and we could have snow next tuesday.

The sun has just set, we've seen the last of it now, the winter weather starts tommorow, looks like we've had the summer.

Be prepared for the arctic plunge.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-recent-heatwave-blighted-by-imminent-mini-arctic-plunge-with-april-showers-over-weekend-10189467.html
    http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/mini-arctic-plunge-way-according-weather/story-26364375-detail/story.html
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/572323/Weather-freeze-forecast-UK-temperatures-plunge-after-heatwave

Gawd that lot are a bit slow this time! I warned my relatives about next week's cold snap two days ago! Frost at night in places especially the north, cold by day, below 10 degrees C on some days in many places. Next week!

Not too bad today (Friday) or tomorrow (Sat) in the south & SE though, albeit more cloudy than recently and with some rain Friday evening and overnight.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Summer weather ends????

Its now Autumn. Get the Christmas tree up and the Brussels sprouts on.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice and sunny here this morning, so at least one more day of it.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    The masochists who enjoy wasp stings / sunburn / humid sleepless nights / sweat etc will be gutted.

The masochists who like freezing cold misery will be delighted.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There hasn't been any Summer weather and there isn't going to be an Arctic plunge, some of us have had a few days of warm sunny Spring weather and we're not going to get sub zero Arctic temperatures, it's just going to get a little cooler, why does everybody have to exaggerate with the weather?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    well my fingers are certainly crossed but i bet i have to suffer "good" weather here.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    There hasn't been any Summer weather and there isn't going to be an Arctic plunge, some of us have had a few days of warm sunny Spring weather and we're not going to get sub zero Arctic temperatures, it's just going to get a little cooler, why does everybody have to exaggerate with the weather?

It has felt more like 11 to 13 degrees C in the shade of the High Street rather than the officially recorded 17 to 21 degrees C in the full glare of the sun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify, we're not in the summer just yet, it is still technically spring.
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ... Good old scaremongering from the usual suspects. The Daily Distress one of the major ones. Sigh. We have had a few days of nice weather (dependent upon where you are; Yorkshire has not reached the 'giddy' heights of London or the South, where it's generally a few degrees warmer anyway (usually). It's been in the mid to high teens at best).

Next week we will have average or maybe a bit below average temps. It's still Spring. Anything can happen in Spring in GB ...

I didn't click the link but has the Daily Distress coined the term 'killer ...' Weather? Because that's what they usually do.