Options

Galaxy Announcement - Official Thread (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Fom @RadioGoss' twitter:

"Waiting for Ashley's big Galaxy announcement is like waiting for The Radio Mag to close. Both are taking forever."

Those who think they know, those who know they know and those who wants to guess on what it is.. Post here!

I'm scared it's going to be all our worries and predictions we've made in previous threads over the last year or so.

Comments

• Options
    boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be the first to say '"told you so" when the news is 'out there'. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So goodbye to the Hit music network then apart from possibly Capital and Red Dragon??????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Probably somethings going on which is why Matt Spokes is off. Whatever it'll be something that will save money somewhere
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Could be redundancies! Where has Sparky gone off breakfast on Galaxy South Coast?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teh wrote: »
    Could be redundancies! Where has Sparky gone off breakfast on Galaxy South Coast?

I noticed he's been on less and less lately! Not on the main photo on theyr page of the website either.
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is an 'official thread', anyway?
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, the big Galaxy announcement?

Hmmm.

Maybe Richard Park will shock you all by announcing he was wrong about focussed playlists and the Galaxy rebrand.

"Och aye, I should've listened to Red Kite, wckartist, Bundyman, Tiger 8 and their wee chums on DS", he might say.

Maybe he'll then say that from next Monday, Power FM and Beat 106 will make a big return to the airwaves in a moment of unbridled and joyous local radio glory.

Or maybe not. :rolleyes:

"Say no more, Joey, say no more". :p
  • Options
    ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Trent, Ram, Leicester Sound, Red Dragon, and Capital will all become Galaxy. I'm so sure I might even bet money on it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    When are we going to hear this announcement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trent, Ram, Leicester Sound, Red Dragon, and Capital will all become Galaxy. I'm so sure I might even bet money on it!

If I was a betting man, I might put money on Trent/Ram/Leicester becoming Galaxy, not so sure about Red Dragon though. And I would probably kill myself if Capital changed, so there'd be no point betting on it, because I wouldn't be here to collect my winnings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member

all capital. simple as that.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    What is an 'official thread', anyway?

I always interpret 'official' threads as ones started by someone with an ego the size of a small country.
  • Options
    Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a fascinating question, and one to which only a handful of people truly know the answer, but my thoughts on the options:

ALL BECOME GALAXY: Fits with the Heart pattern, and Global's stated strategy of big national brands. But I still think Parky (and to a lesser extent Ashley) will stop short of killing Capital.

ALL BECOME CAPITAL: This would surprise me. I think it would be a major u-turn after a pretty committed effort with the Galaxy brand (and any half-measures are probably only because Heart was the bigger fish to fry)

EAST MIDS (AND PROBABLY RED DRAGON) BECOME GALAXY: Still my favoured option. I think none of those brands are any stronger than some of the ones which made way for Heart. Capital could still be rolled into a unified music policy, management structure and some overnight networking, but I think they'll see the brand - and its associated 'London' values - as valuable enough to preserve. Just as Real hasn't yet followed Smooth into total networking, I think Capital has a local vibe they'll want to keep.

EAST MIDS STATIONS RETAIN THEIR BRANDS: That's the one option I'd put money against if I was a betting man :)
  • Options
    ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Seeing as how they killed off the emensely (is that how you spell it??) popular Essex FM and ten-17 in my local area, it would not surprise me if Global decide to murder Capital. Why on earth did Global not rebrand all stations to Galaxy? Their CHR stations and Heart makes me physically sick!! :O
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always interpret 'official' threads as ones started by someone with an ego the size of a small country.

Well you interpreted it wrong in this instance. I just said "official" because you always tend to get multiple threads of the same things on DS, so did it in the hope when it does all the news does come out, it will stop countless other threads from appearing.
  • Options
    MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Randall has a major "scoop" on commercial radio. All will be revealed after 7 tonight on his Sky News programme.
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Randall has a major "scoop" on commercial radio. All will be revealed after 7 tonight on his Sky News programme.

Can't see that being anything to do with Galaxy or Capital rebranding - Randall does big business stories.

More likely to be a takeover - GMG maybe?
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expect something pretty imminent I reckon, going by a few people's social networking statuses, I think the meeting might be in progress.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Neil Greenslade PD of Galaxy Brum is going to Red Dragon - The Plot gets thicker !!!
  • Options
    MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    Can't see that being anything to do with Galaxy or Capital rebranding - Randall does big business stories.

More likely to be a takeover - GMG maybe?

He's sworn to secrecy till then, but he does know what has happened already.

The end of the Capital name on Londons airwaves could be significant to his programme. It would be a major marketing story.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a fascinating question, and one to which only a handful of people truly know the answer, but my thoughts on the options:

ALL BECOME GALAXY: Fits with the Heart pattern, and Global's stated strategy of big national brands. But I still think Parky (and to a lesser extent Ashley) will stop short of killing Capital.

ALL BECOME CAPITAL: This would surprise me. I think it would be a major u-turn after a pretty committed effort with the Galaxy brand (and any half-measures are probably only because Heart was the bigger fish to fry)

EAST MIDS (AND PROBABLY RED DRAGON) BECOME GALAXY: Still my favoured option. I think none of those brands are any stronger than some of the ones which made way for Heart. Capital could still be rolled into a unified music policy, management structure and some overnight networking, but I think they'll see the brand - and its associated 'London' values - as valuable enough to preserve. Just as Real hasn't yet followed Smooth into total networking, I think Capital has a local vibe they'll want to keep.

EAST MIDS STATIONS RETAIN THEIR BRANDS: That's the one option I'd put money against if I was a betting man :)

It's this one - it was briefly put up on BrandRepublic.com, then taken down, but not before a few Twitter feeds has caught it.

Galaxy and the HMN brands to all go Capital.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Greenslade PD of Galaxy Brum is going to Red Dragon - The Plot gets thicker !!!

Correct.

Colin Paterson left as Red Dragon PC on Friday and started as a producer at BBC Radio Wales today.
  • Options
    overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingethink wrote: »
    It's this one - it was briefly put up on BrandRepublic.com, then taken down, but not before a few Twitter feeds has caught it.

Galaxy and the HMN brands to all go Capital.

The article has been removed, but this still shows up in a search:
    Global Radio takes Capital national
    13 Sep 2010 | by Maisie McCabe

Global Radio is to scrap its Galaxy network, and four further stations, to create a new nine...New Capital stations will replace the six Galaxy stations operating in Scotland, the South Coast ... being played on the Hit Music and Galaxy stations is the same genre as is played on Capital. Each ... delivered locally has been a success. Though we looked at rolling out Galaxy or creating a new brand we ...

http://www.brandrepublic.com/index.cfm?event=page.search&sSearchPhrase=Galaxy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Neil Greenslade is a good guy - met him very very briefly whilst in Birmingham and he seems switched on, great appointment for Red Dragon.

Craig
  • Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »
    I will be the first to say '"told you so" when the news is 'out there'. :rolleyes:

So will I!

Still backing Galaxy to stay?