Options

Rajar Q2 2014

Comments

• Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 3 is about as elitist as it gets. It's a club for pompous classical music lovers who don't believe in making the genre accessible to other people. A sort of closed-shop, secret society audience.
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Radio 3 is about as elitist as it gets. It's a club for pompous classical music lovers who don't believe in making the genre accessible to other people. A sort of closed-shop, secret society audience.
    Pardon? What a load of tosh - it's as accessible as any other radio station! You just sort of turn the dial and...
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,907
    Forum Member
    Mall wrote: »
    It depends on how you look at it. The bitrates enjoyed by listeners to Radio 3 are used on one standalone station - Radio 3 itself.

Radio 1 listeners have a supplementary/complimentary station (1extra) as do those listening to Radio 2 (its simply called 6music rather than 2extra).

There's four choices of output for Pop Music and its various offshoots rather than the one choice offered to Classical Music listeners. Perhaps if R1 + 1extra were lumped together and the same for R2 + 6music then pop Music listeners could also enjoy the same higher bitrates.

You can't have your cake and eat it

The output of the other 4 BBC music channels does not consist of "pop music and its various offshoots".

You then go on to try and provoke a reaction by deciding that four channels should be merged into two and end up with some meaningless cliche that doesn't relate to anything at all.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How can a national radio network which is available to anyone with a FM/DAB radio be a closed shop? Is it not the reverse snobbery in some people that makes them think it is elitist?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think you have worse problems than being snobby. Not understanding proper English for starters. If Radio 3 can't provide its programming for less why should Radio 1 or 2? Why should other services have to put up with worse sound quality. Bob Harris or 6 music's freak zone is just as in need of high quality sound as anything on Radio 3.

I'm not saying those shows don't deserve better sound. It was your claim that Radio 3 gets funding because of snobbery that I'm disputing. You simply don't have any evidence to support it.

The problem is, the BBC chose to develop a platform which it now can't afford to use to its full potential. It had to make hard choices about how to deal with that, and without a doubt it made decisions which adversely affect some listeners. That's not good. I doubt if anyone thinks it is. But it's still nothing to do with snobbery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really think you have worse problems than being snobby. Not understanding proper English for starters. If Radio 3 can't provide its programming for less why should Radio 1 or 2? Why should other services have to put up with worse sound quality. Bob Harris or 6 music's freak zone is just as in need of high quality sound as anything on Radio 3.

Scroll down to page 9 and you'll see the disparity between Radio 3's budget/audience appreciation/cost per listener and 6 Music's.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/pdf/2013-14/bbc_annualreport_201314_bbcexecutive_performance.pdf

It's far too wide. And anyone who listens to the Freak Zone will know of the tie ups between 6 Music and Late Junction despite these claims of all the other networks consisting of "pop music and its various offshoots" compared with the "quality" of Radio 3.

Then people wonder why the elitist charge for classical music is made, it's because of the attitude of some Radio 3 supporters.
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The snobbery of the anti snob.

Try giving it a listen.Late Junction,midweek at 11.15 onwards out funks Kiss or R1 sometimes.

Com and join our club.....
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Radio 3 is over-catered for in terms of the DAB bit-rate it enjoys in relation to the listeners it attracts. Contemporary music is no less worthy of a decent bitrate than classical in terms of fidelity and even the once ailing 6 Music has overtaken Radio 3 this quarter.
    One possibility is when D2 is up and running move Asian network to it (as the previous NGW bid) this will allow R2 and 6 music to go 160k on standard DAB, not as good as 192k but an improvement until DAB+
    is more in use?
  • Options
    Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    The snobbery of the anti snob.

Try giving it a listen.Late Junction,midweek at 11.15 onwards out funks Kiss or R1 sometimes.

Com and join our club.....

Late Junction is brilliant. One of the best shows on the radio anywhere IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian_Scott wrote: »
    Sussex/Surrey is interesting.

BBC Sussex & Surrey 10% down to 9% (-1%)
    Eagle FM 29% down to 26% (-3%)
    Heart Susssex 29% down to 25% (-4%)

Where have those folks gone I wonder?

Susy? Redstone? To London stations?
    It's the trends that are important.
    Looking at past rajars Eagle was 120k in 2009, but since thsn has varied between 140k and 160k so providing the next rajar does not go down has nothing major to worry about.
    Heart Sussex has varied between 350k and 400k and BBC Sussex and Surrey 220k and 280k so will also sort themselves out in time.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with Signal 107 is that despite being a good station it has little or no presence in the areas it broadcasts to. I would be surprised if anyone in Telford knows that it is there. Plus the signal from that 107.4 transmitter is pathetic, it always has been even when that ghastly Telford FM was on the air.
    Free Radio may have a stupid, cringeworthy name but it is a good station and there are posters, signs and stickers all over Telford advertising the station

The problem is though they have less listeners than before the expansion. To over double your TSA and half your listeners suggests something is very very wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    How do these experts know all this? Do we have people stalking FM radios?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the amount of people listening on mobile devices nowadays on apps like tunein radio is rajar fit for purpose?
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    The problem is though they have less listeners than before the expansion. To over double your TSA and half your listeners suggests something is very very wrong.

Well, like I said before. The main problem is a very distinct lack of promotion and a poor signal strength from that very badly set up 107.4 transmitter in Telford.
    Free Radio has a very strong presence in it's catchment areas and is wiping the floor with Signal 107. A shame, because I prefer Signal 107 out of the two stations.
    Get your act together UTV for goodness sake!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chris983 wrote: »
    With the amount of people listening on mobile devices nowadays on apps like tunein radio is rajar fit for purpose?

Listening on mobile devices whether to DAB or FM and listening using online apps is recorded in the diary, the internet section is now headed online/apps.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Listening on mobile devices whether to DAB or FM and listening using online apps is recorded in the diary, the internet section is now headed online/apps.
    How many people are surveyed though? In my whole entire life I only 1 person I know has been asked to fill out a diary and this was 10 years ago!
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about an elitist club who are these people that fill in these radio diaries? Do they exist? Does anyone on this forum know anybody that compiles these diaries for rajar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How many people are surveyed though? In my whole entire life I only 1 person I know has been asked to fill out a diary and this was 10 years ago!
    Talk about an elitist club who are these people that fill in these radio diaries? Do they exist? Does anyone on this forum know anybody that compiles these diaries for rajar.

Sample size is 110,000 15+ adults a year, information on the process, diary etc etc all on the RAJAR website as posted here several times. Must be one, if not, the biggest sample size used in the UK.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member

No never come across anyone except me when I was asked to complete one about 15 years ago. Asked once but never been asked since or know anyone who has. That is precisely why I am sceptical about the whole system
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thelockup wrote: »
    i sincerely hope a certain mr grimshaw is going to be in reciept of a P45

Tough luck.Grimmy survives for 3 more months ! Word is Fearne Cottons audience figures have shot up though, possibly because she's absent half the time
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I participated in a survey about 3-4 years ago. Someone came to my door recruiting people to keep a diary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    No never come across anyone except me when I was asked to complete one about 15 years ago. Asked once but never been asked since or know anyone who has. That is precisely why I am sceptical about the whole system

Even if you were going round asking every single person you meet whether they had filled in a RAJAR diary, which would not be a representative sample for one thing, this would have no significance as the methodology of RAJAR is well known and on their website. I've just posted the large sample size they use.

The results are similar time after time anyway which proves the system is sound. They use six monthly or twelve monthly reporting periods for many stations even though the results are published quarterly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are always variations like Eagle being down 3% but the important thing is watching trends oer a period.
    Found on google search this
    http://www.rajar.co.uk/docs/news/Methods%20of%20Measurement-Branded.pdf
    Why does RAJAR use a Diary?
    More recently, Ipsos has been testing a system which transforms a smartphone into an audiometer,
    using open-market solutions, and which looks quite promising. So promising in fact, that RAJAR has
    elected to invest in a year-long trial of the device, primarily to learn more about long-term listening.
    Apart from Switzerland, audio-matching is also used in Cyprus, while encoding is in use in the largest
    cities in the US, and in Canada. Part of the radio measurement in some Scandinavian countries is also
    carried out using this system.
    It is inevitable that the UK will eventually move to or incorporate some form of electronic
    measurement, but that won’t happen until we find a system that is at least as inclusive, and as
    affordable, and which represents an improvement on what we already have. In the meantime, we
    will continue to develop and adapt our human-friendly diary.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Even if you were going round asking every single person you meet whether they had filled in a RAJAR diary, which would not be a representative sample for one thing, this would have no significance as the methodology of RAJAR is well known and on their website. I've just posted the large sample size they use.

The results are similar time after time anyway which proves the system is sound. They use six monthly or twelve monthly reporting periods for many stations even though the results are published quarterly.

110,000 is not exactly a good representation of the total population of the UK for something like radio listening given the population. Do they change the diary fillers or is it the same elite sample everytime? It would be interesting if an independent research company was appointed to run a large online poll open to all with internet access to compare results. I wouldn't expect the industry to welcome it though in case it varies too widely from RAJAR. Almost certainly the pro Global crowd wouldn't welcome it.
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    Capital xtra presenters had their rajar meetings today, Despite 50% loss in audience, still being praised for their shows. Unreal.

If true, it's not unreal at all. Global have chosen a new route for Capital Xtra following the rebrand from Choice, moving away from a very London-centric urban-focused sound, and introducing more 'dance' music onto the playlist. There has, as always after a rebrand, been some presenter churn as well. It was inevitable in the short-term this would lead to a loss of audience, especially on FM in London.

Global, however, clearly feel that with the potential to build audience outside of London on digital platforms, the long term strategy is the right one. Recent results with Smooth suggest they usually get these things right.

In that scenario, where presenters are delivering a new format and meeting the requirements of station management, it is absolutely right that the feedback they receive is positive. I would absolutely be telling them 'we believe in the changes we have made, we will take a while to see some positive results, in the meantime you're doing everything we want you to do - we're in this together, keep up the good work'.

That would be far more supportive and motivational that the 'we've made changes, they haven't worked, it can't be our fault, therefore you must be s**t' approach to man management that you seem to be advocating!