Options

Panic room woman challenges bedroom tax

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Then this is a legal/judicial issue, nothing to do with the "bedroom tax"
    Both because her and her child are being punished, because of the bedroom tax, this panic room was part of her protection from this person and was put in for this reason, and was not classed as a none extra not needed room, the bedroom tax is saying that this is a extra room that is NOT needed, yet the police and other government department agreed that this room was needed and spent money on making this room into a secure safe room.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the outrage should not be about the bedroom tax but why her apparent lunatic rapist ex partner is freely walking the streets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can, that's probably why I've been with the same woman for 28 years, and without being married.

Well if you can spot a baddun you should have done the right thing and reported this man to your leader as not a fit person to be a tory MP. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2F2014%2F07%2F28%2Ftory-mp-david-ruffley-to-stand-down-after-protracted-media-debate-about-him-beating-his-girlfriend_n_5627902.html&ei=bt9rVIWaGonjarLLgtAP&usg=AFQjCNEpLyFEyqfkzlpNtV2X0TZcVd2UhA&bvm=bv.79908130,d.d2s&cad=rja
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's because people seem intent on blaming everything and every social ill on the "evil" "vile" Tories

OH MY GOD!!!! are you actually telling me that some people have had different lives and life experiences to the one/s you have had?

that they form their views and opinions based on their own individual and personal experiences, and that they don't all live the exact same life as you?

and that some of these people who have different opinions and experiences to yours actually have the sheer audacity to express them and to not agree with you?

That is outrageous and I now understand why you feel the need to sneer at and deride and belittle these creatures, what with you being the prime human and all.

As far as I am concerned Nye Bevan was 100% correct in his opinion of the Tory party,

Of course I understand that other people have different opinions and I fully respect their right to hold and to express those opinions, but then that's probably because I am a soft leftie liberal do-gooder eh?
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Perhaps the outrage should not be about the bedroom tax but why her apparent lunatic rapist ex partner is freely walking the streets?

Perhaps, but until then, she's still being penalised for needing such protection, hence the case.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What in the heck is a "panic room"? :D

Another welfare con, "I need bigger housing because I need a panic room" or something?
    ...to challenge the government’s so-called bedroom tax...

Blimey. Has even The Guardian now worked out it's not actually a tax?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »

Another welfare con, "I need bigger housing because I need a panic room" or something?

Blimey. Has even The Guardian now worked out it's not actually a tax?

Do you like the real title then, penalty which = punishment, so this women and her child should pay a penalty and recieve a punishment because a man has threated her and her child safety. The under-occupancy penalty (also known as the "bedroom tax
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Just in case you're being serious, it's basically a mini bunker you can lock yourself in and call for help from, with reinforced doors, windows, floor, ceiling and walls.

Only needed in extreme cases, but don't let that stop the glib "scrounger" style rhetorical rubbish;
    I suppose at least it wasn't as bad as the victim blaming someone came out with on page one, eh?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She has a bedroom. Why can't that be her panic room ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Guessing here, but it could have been one of those pokey box rooms that just about got a single bed and cupboard. It would be the cheapest in the house to fortify, and those fortifications would probably make the room too small for a bed to fit.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why did the the system NOT make her her bedroom into a panic room why did the system make a differantt room a panic room. only the system can answer that as its the system that decides these things
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was wondering the same - how many rooms do you need for this panic room? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    I was wondering the same - how many rooms do you need for this panic room? :confused:
    You have to ask the people who did this NOT the lady, as its the system that decided to do it this way. I never asked the system to give me a 3 bedroom disabled persons adaptard house but i was given one, but we only ever needed 2 bedrooms, but they had no 2 bedroom homes availible that meet all of my disabled needs, only a 3 bedroom place that had all the adaptions done, now this government expect the local social services to find the money to adapt a 2 bedroom place to fit my needs, but have not given them any extra money to do this, and yes its SS who pay not the landlord for these adaptions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most people forget its NOT the tenant who decides these things, its the powers above that decide if they build a safe room in that house or move the tenant, the tenant is ASKED what they would like to happen but at the end of the day it is other people who decide what is the best caurse of action is NOT the tenant. The tenant cannot force the landlord, police or socail servivevcs, to build a safe room or anything else in these things
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/18/panic-room-woman-challenges-bedroom-tax

It beggars belief that the few people in this situation (just 281 according to the article) are not automatically exempted from the "bedroom tax"/"RSRS". Yet another shameful indictment of Iain Duncan Smith and this government. I wish this lady all the best for tomorrow and I hope that she gets the verdict that she and others in her situation deserve.

well said, i too wish her the best and hope her challenge is successful
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the state of policing & the courts got so bad in this country that we are now building panic rooms to protect people from their ex partners?

Surely if this person is such a threat he should be locked up
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    You have to ask the people who did this NOT the lady, as its the system that decided to do it this way. I never asked the system to give me a 3 bedroom disabled persons adaptard house but i was given one, but we only ever needed 2 bedrooms, but they had no 2 bedroom homes availible that meet all of my disabled needs, only a 3 bedroom place that had all the adaptions done, now this government expect the local social services to find the money to adapt a 2 bedroom place to fit my needs, but have not given them any extra money to do this, and yes its SS who pay not the landlord for these adaptions

Your situation sounds exceptional to me and you should be treated in an exceptional way. imo
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Has the state of policing & the courts got so bad in this country that we are now building panic rooms to protect people from their ex partners?

Correct, As much as the IDS stalkers, whingers and whiners on here claim this 'story' has absolutely nothing to do with the 'bedroom tax'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

We can't keep people locked up indefinitely 'just in case' they decide to commit another crime. Perpetrators of domestic violence are charged, sentenced, imprisoned and released in the same way that anyone else who commits a crime is. We don't keep burglars in jail 'just in case' they decide to break into another house, so expecting violent ex-partners to be kept locked up forever is unrealistic. Helping to protect victims by providing them with panic rooms within their own homes has been cost effective - people did not have to be immediately rehoused, or placed in refuges or emergency homeless accommodation.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one has asked the obvious question - can the panic room be used as a bedroom?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/18/panic-room-woman-challenges-bedroom-tax

It beggars belief that the few people in this situation (just 281 according to the article) are not automatically exempted from the "bedroom tax"/"RSRS". Yet another shameful indictment of Iain Duncan Smith and this government. I wish this lady all the best for tomorrow and I hope that she gets the verdict that she and others in her situation deserve.

It beggars belief that people expect the state to pay for a panic room. How about rehousing her somewhere else - so that the ex-partner does not know where she is. Or better still slap a court order on the ex-partner and slap him in jail if he so much as approaches them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It beggars belief that people expect the state to pay for a panic room. How about rehousing her somewhere else - so that the ex-partner does not know where she is.
    Who will pay to rehouse her somewhere else?
    Or better still slap a court order on the ex-partner and slap him in jail if he so much as approaches them.

You think they don't do that already? The victim will still need to be able to escape to a safe place in order to phone the police, and will need to be able to stay there until the police arrive. Do you think if someone politely asks the perpetrator to wait until the police arrive before they begin smashing their face in they'll just say 'okay, sorry'?
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be better to put him in a safe room if he is that dangerous. She can't live in a bedroom 24 hour a day, if he is hell bent on hurting her he will do it when she is out of the room.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct, As much as the IDS stalkers, whingers and whiners on here claim this 'story' has absolutely nothing to do with the 'bedroom tax'

"The local council has told her she will lose £11.65 a week from her benefits on the grounds that she has a spare room, which is the panic room."

• Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    "The local council has told her she will lose £11.65 a week from her benefits on the grounds that she has a spare room, which is the panic room."

Surely the council should make up the shortfall with their discretionary fund.