Does your job accomodate your holidays/social life ect..?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just wondering if your job adapts to your life or if you work around your job or have unsociable hours?

Currently I get the days off and holidays I want but work until times I don't like. Many people even without families in my job get day shifts 9-5 or even earlier finishes on higher contracts. Some people get comfortable hours it seems but depends on who you are I suppose.

Comments

• Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Night shifts: 8pm - 7am.

Schedule: 4 on, 4 off

Works for me. Only ending up working 50% of the year (16 shifts a month) which leaves a lot of free time for other things.

Also, using 4 holiday days actually gets you 12 off, so even better.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am supposed to be on leave now until after Christmas but am still expected to answer emails and calls. I switched my phone off so my boss called by house and bollocked me for switching my phone off. I'm looking for something else!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soon to start a 12hr shift pattern and will only work 15 days out of 35. Over the course of the year, leave included, I will only be at work about 120 days a year.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump anymore?
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work 6pm - 2am. Horrible hours, and the only way I'm allowed to have Friday and/or Saturday off is if I use holidays.

The only people I see these days are my work colleagues... >:(

I found it extremely difficult to get a job in the first place, so I'll be sticking it out until I can get a job with better hours, but I'm guessing that's going to be quite a long wait...
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I work Monday to Friday, no Bank Hols :D I'm very pleased as every job I had until the age of 40 seemed to be unsociable hours and working Bank Hols. I'm a lone worker too so can take my leave whenever I like, so my job doesn't get in the way of my social life/hols at all. Sometimes I wouldn't mind working Bank Hols and taking the holiday another time, but my unit is closed, so no go.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I work as a scrub nurse and frequently can't make plans or have to cancel them due to enforced overtime. If the operation runs over I can't leave as there is no one to releive me. Can't exactly cover the patient up and leave them lying there until the next morning, lol.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    It doesn't affect my holidays as I take them whenever I can and only has a minimal effect on my social life. I don't like to leave before my staff do but if I really need/want to be somewhere I will go.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it doesnt I work early shifts which means I always miss out on nights out and im always to tired to go out after working an early shift
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work flexi between 8 and half 5 Monday to Friday so it definitely accommodates my running at weekends.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's difficult but I get by on 250 days off a year. The rest of the time it's full on schmoozing Arab sheikhs. You try being Prince Andrew.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work Mondays and Fridays from home and then in the office the other 3 days from 10 to 3.

Works out just fine for me as I never do overtime and can pretty much get my pick of the school holidays
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    The job I have now is brilliant, Monday to Friday 9 - 5, no weekends or bank holidays, no late nights and enough annual leave for a few decent breaks throughout the year.

I have worked in less savoury environments though, whilst at uni, I worked in a factory on the night shift, in a fast food restaurant doing the overnight shift, in a clothes shop that was open until 9pm on weekdays and all day Sunday...not great, but I needed the money, my rent, bills and festival tickets wouldn't pay for themselves :D