Options

Finally we have a FRESH and CURRENT panel

StubeStube Posts: 16,833
Forum Member
✭✭
It's about time we had a relevant panel without any judges that felt a bit too dated for a 2010s entertainment show. Looking at the history of the XF's judging panel, this one is definitely the most relevant:

2004 - 2006: Louis and Sharon didn't have any up-to-date musical knowledge and Louis couldn't manage female acts.
2007: See above and Dannii, whilst a great mentor, wasn't exactly "current" in 2007.
2008 - 2010: Louis and Dannii belonged in the 90s while Cheryl was the only real judge with relevance.
2011: Probably the only other relevant judging panel we've had although Tulisa wasn't exactly the epitome of a million-selling popstar while Kelly hadn't been relevant for quite a few years bar the occasional David Guetta collaboration.
2012: Tulisa and Gary were both stale after only a year on the panel. And then there was still Louis.
2013: Louis was still there, Sharon was back (bore) and Gary was still there too.
2014: Mel B, like Dannii, was only relevant in the 90s and Louis hadn't been sacked yet.

Now there's the current Radio 1 Breakfast Show DJ who has a lot of popstar links such as Harry Styles who will know a lot of current songs from playing them on his show. There's Rita Ora who, despite not being her biggest fan, has a bubbly personality and is very big in the UK at the moment. Cheryl and Simon are XF veterans at this point and both contributed a lot to the Golden Era of the show so deserve their places. I think this year could be the best in a long time.

Comments

• Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    No chance. This show is finished. Running on fumes now. SCD will crush it.
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love how some claim Sharon/Dannii/Kelly and Louis are not relevant. Does this not apply to Simon Cowell? He is hardly relevant himself. I personally couldn't care a less if a judge is relevant, or not, just as long as the have experience in the music industry. I think that is the most important thing.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the panel still has Cheryl? So it's not fresh and current?
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl has been past her sell by for years. As said above the show is really running on fumes, two more series I reckon and that will be it if viewers continue to slide. I mean the viewing figures from last year averaged similar to series 2.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    Love how some claim Sharon/Dannii/Kelly and Louis are not relevant. Does this not apply to Simon Cowell? He is hardly relevant himself. I personally couldn't care a less if a judge is relevant, or not, just as long as the have experience in the music industry. I think that is the most important thing.

But Simon created the show so he's always relevant technically. The more stars he finds from XF, the more relevant he becomes. Being the boss of One Direction and Little Mix hardly makes him irrelevant.
    JordyD wrote: »

Having two #1 singles in the last 12 months makes you current enough in my books. It's not like she's a faded pop star from 15 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Ratings will almost certainly slump this time round.
  • Options
    MilkitaMilkita Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finally we have a positive thread and i love this !!!

totally agree with everything you said.
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    Rita Ora has been on the Voice and she was very boring on that so why have her do the same act again on the X Factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    If there is one X Factor cliche I hate more than any other, its the over use of the words "fresh", "current" and "relevant". The panel has no bearing whatsoever on how the show performs.

The most "relevant" panels were those in 2011 and 2012, yet they are the years where a lot of the current problems stem from. The ratings were originally up in 2013 when a 61 year old and not "relevant" Sharon Osbourne replaced Tulisa, with that series having the 4th most watched set of auditions in the shows history. Likewise when Dannii joined back in 2007, and Cheryl in 2008 (when Girls Aloud had started to flatline). The reintroduction of "relevant" Cheryl last year saw the ratings fall further.

Britain's Got Talent did incredibly well this year, Alesha Dixon and Amanda Holden are hardly at the forefront of British talent. Yet that show does well because it's consistent each year, not a merry go round of judges which X Factor has become. It needs people on the judging panel who can commit to doing more than just a year, because they aren't busy or "relevant". The Voice is a prime example, where coming into its fifth season, they will be on its fourth judging line up.

I genuinely think it would have been more beneficial for last years entire panel to return, there was nothing wrong with it and it should have been allowed to bed in. We haven't had a full returning panel since 2010, and the viewing figures have been on the slide ever since. Is that a coincidence, whilst shows such as BGT and SCD continue to do well with infrequent lineup changes?
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    But Simon created the show so he's always relevant technically. The more stars he finds from XF, the more relevant he becomes. Being the boss of One Direction and Little Mix hardly makes him irrelevant.

Having two #1 singles in the last 12 months makes you current enough in my books. It's not like she's a faded pop star from 15 years ago.

Not before she was announced to return to the show.

Cheryl got those no1s thanks to the show's publicity. After the announcement of her return her new single was revealed no so long after which was available preorder for 8 weeks with a BGT audition, which helped her to no1. The second one that year was during the live shows and was the lowest selling no1 of the year. She released a new single this year and it bombed.
  • Options
    Sammi42Sammi42 Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have people with music industry knowledge and someone who has been in the business for years than someone who has been asked on simply because they have had a it song recently.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    sj8585 wrote: »
    If there is one X Factor cliche I hate more than any other, its the over use of the words "fresh", "current" and "relevant". The panel has no bearing whatsoever on how the show performs.

The most "relevant" panels were those in 2011 and 2012, yet they are the years where a lot of the current problems stem from. The ratings were originally up in 2013 when a 61 year old and not "relevant" Sharon Osbourne replaced Tulisa, with that series having the 4th most watched set of auditions in the shows history. Likewise when Dannii joined back in 2007, and Cheryl in 2008 (when Girls Aloud had started to flatline). The reintroduction of "relevant" Cheryl last year saw the ratings fall further.

Britain's Got Talent did incredibly well this year, Alesha Dixon and Amanda Holden are hardly at the forefront of British talent. Yet that show does well because it's consistent each year, not a merry go round of judges which X Factor has become. It needs people on the judging panel who can commit to doing more than just a year, because they aren't busy or "relevant". The Voice is a prime example, where coming into its fifth season, they will be on its fourth judging line up.

I genuinely think it would have been more beneficial for last years entire panel to return, there was nothing wrong with it and it should have been allowed to bed in. We haven't had a full returning panel since 2010, and the viewing figures have been on the slide ever since. Is that a coincidence, whilst shows such as BGT and SCD continue to do well with infrequent lineup changes?

Good post. I highly doubt we'll be seeing this new line-up again next year either.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Haha this thread, the whole show is irelevant

I'd say a likeable panel would be most relevant!
  • Options
    Sife LucksSife Lucks Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Nick Grimshaw is just on the panel so that in return for promoting a Radio 1 DJ (and it's channel), Radio 1 will playlist more X-Factor artists. I can't see any other reason.

Likewise if Ricky and Melvin from Kiss FM are doing Xtra Factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Lol. A DJ who is haemorrhaging listeners and a third rate pop star. Very fresh and current.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member

An one of the lowest selling albums of last year.
  • Options
    BlazingLovaticBlazingLovatic Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »

Cheryl had TWO #1 singles last year. In what world does that allow her to be irrelevant?
  • Options
    BlazingLovaticBlazingLovatic Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Wanita wrote: »
    An one of the lowest selling albums of last year.

Most albums don't even sell 1,000 copies....
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're about as fresh as haemorrhoids.
  • Options
    Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon has tried - time and time again - to refresh the format by changing the line up of judges/presenters. And it has never worked. It's like his default system when things aren't going well (which is pretty much always nowadays) is to change the judging panel. He's in for a nasty shock.
    X Factor isn't new or original anymore. It'll always have its fans and millions of viewers of course, but nothing on the glory days. There is no way this show can ever compete with SCD any more, it's too tired. Having a so called "current" judging panel will make no difference whatsoever.
  • Options
    samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arthur_B wrote: »
    Simon has tried - time and time again - to refresh the format by changing the line up of judges/presenters. And it has never worked. It's like his default system when things aren't going well (which is pretty much always nowadays) is to change the judging panel. He's in for a nasty shock.
    X Factor isn't new or original anymore. It'll always have its fans and millions of viewers of course, but nothing on the glory days. There is no way this show can ever compete with SCD any more, it's too tired. Having a so called "current" judging panel will make no difference whatsoever.

Yep

People have finally gained sense that these talent shows are manufactured rubbish.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's about time we had a relevant panel without any judges that felt a bit too dated for a 2010s entertainment show. Looking at the history of the XF's judging panel, this one is definitely the most relevant:

2004 - 2006: Louis and Sharon didn't have any up-to-date musical knowledge and Louis couldn't manage female acts.
    2007: See above and Dannii, whilst a great mentor, wasn't exactly "current" in 2007.
    2008 - 2010: Louis and Dannii belonged in the 90s while Cheryl was the only real judge with relevance.
    2011: Probably the only other relevant judging panel we've had although Tulisa wasn't exactly the epitome of a million-selling popstar while Kelly hadn't been relevant for quite a few years bar the occasional David Guetta collaboration.
    2012: Tulisa and Gary were both stale after only a year on the panel. And then there was still Louis.
    2013: Louis was still there, Sharon was back (bore) and Gary was still there too.
    2014: Mel B, like Dannii, was only relevant in the 90s and Louis hadn't been sacked yet.

Now there's the current Radio 1 Breakfast Show DJ who has a lot of popstar links such as Harry Styles who will know a lot of current songs from playing them on his show. There's Rita Ora who, despite not being her biggest fan, has a bubbly personality and is very big in the UK at the moment. Cheryl and Simon are XF veterans at this point and both contributed a lot to the Golden Era of the show so deserve their places. I think this year could be the best in a long time.

The whole show is as outdated as a evening out in the 90's at a local pub for the karaoke night.

With the current state of music being current is something to be ashamed of IMHO.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »

How is Simon not relevant? He created the show for one, but even outside of that he runs a very successful record label with a number of current singers who are having great success, he is very relevant.

And I agree OP, it is a relevant panel, doesn't mean I like Nick Grimshaw much as a choice, but he is relevant and I am willing to give him a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammi42 wrote: »
    I would rather have people with music industry knowledge and someone who has been in the business for years than someone who has been asked on simply because they have had a it song recently.

Yep, I agree.:) As long as they have experience in the music industry and are good at judging/mentoring, then I could not care a less if a judge is relevant. Just because an artist is 'relevant', doesn't mean anything in my opinion, experience in the music industry does,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sj8585 wrote: »

Good post. I cannot stand Amanda Holden, but agree with your points.:)