Options

Leona Lewis turns down £1M from Harrods....

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Obscene amount to be offered by a horrible man to an incredibly unoriginal and bland singer.

Can you actually name an "original" singer successful these days? I thought not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    I have loved Leona ever since her first audition on x factor, she is beautiful and down to earth and is a great role model for young women whose only aspiration is to get their baps out and be "glamour" models.

I'm so glad she has stuck to her principles!

Great woman. i love her :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just PR; the money was never offered.

So I also hear from someone in the know :eek::)
    Got the public well and truly duped though. Good luck to her and the new single which while I admit is catchy is a little difficult to understand.

Upthemacduff, got to agree, she's not beautiful but there is something about the face that makes you look.

A friend called her look aggressive attractiveness a bit mannish but genteel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    I have loved Leona ever since her first audition on x factor, she is beautiful and down to earth and is a great role model for young women whose only aspiration is to get their baps out and be "glamour" models.

I'm so glad she has stuck to her principles!

Great woman. i love her :)

Off topic but what exactly is wrong with girls wanting to become glamour models?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Off topic but what exactly is wrong with girls wanting to become glamour models?

I just don't see how getting your breasts out and exploiting yourself for money is emancipating.

and yes, this is off topic. why dont you start a new thread or something.
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Indeed not - but it's always good to point out her (many) hypocrisies:D

True..... and she gives us sooooo much ammunition!!

Good on Leona btw :)
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just PR; the money was never offered.

I hope you have proof of that statement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    I hope you have proof of that statement.

There is not proof that the money was offered either.
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Pass the bucket.

Not a fan eh?
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think she's overrated. The Mariah Carey-esque squealing is very 90s.
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I still think she's overrated. The Mariah Carey-esque squealing is very 90s.

And yet still evidently very popular.

Good for Leona, she's a genuinely nice person and great role model.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not particularly a fan of Leona Lewis - but if she has turned down the money from Harrods then she deserves a big CONGRATULATIONS!

It is refreshing to see someone who has morals and standards and doesn't just ditch them for 30 pieces of silver!
  • Options
    computersaysnocomputersaysno Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »
    A Harrods spokesman refused to reveal how much she was offered as this was "confidential", but he added: "It was at least a tenth of what has been reported."

I was going to say... 1mil pounds is a bit much, just to open up a store. £100,000 seems a bit more plausible.

Anyhoo, good on Leona for sticking to her guns. :)
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im not a fan of her style of singing but im very impressed
    by her integrity and principles.

she seems a genuinely nice person and modest too.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Right, this isn't easy as I hate the type of music Leona Lewis is known for, and have taken opportunities to slag her off on here occasionally.

But, although musically I am still not interested, as a person she has been elevated highly, in my eyes.

I apologise for my peronal criticism of her and think this is a brilliant stance she has taken.

Whether it was a million or a few thousand, it's still money she refused on principle, and I take my hat off to her.
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dislike of Leona is well known on other threads. But seemingly she also sent a few very expensive leather bags back to their designer houses when they were sent as gifts as she doesn't use leather.

I have to say in this day and age her stance is not only refeshing but encouraging.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    Not a fan eh?

No, not at all. I find her insipid and her singing is bland and her songs boring but I take my hat off to her for this. She's taken more of a stand than many others and has stuck to her guns. It shows strength of character and is to be admired. It also shows she's not a hypocrite.
  • Options
    spiideyspiidey Posts: 16,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really nice comments in this thread.

Dunno if I'd be able to turn down £1 million .... so well done Leona :)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Dammit............pedant warning - to self!

Of course I meant 'personal' and not 'peronal' in my above post! :o
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    TBH I can't understand why Harrods even considered her, it's not like she's a looker anyway :confused:
  • Options
    Al Murray fanAl Murray fan Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's like the male Paul Scholes(He's a footballer) only wants to do his job without getting noticed or being in the spotlight! Good on the sexy babe sticking to what she believes in!

She means like a nice person and I like that! :)
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewis is contracted to Simon Cowell's Syco, which in turn is a component of Sony Music Entertainment. What this means is that her team are focused on her earning potential for their company. That's what they're paid for, obviously.

Media 'leaks' such as this one are an hourly occurrence. Not just in music, but all forms of news. The media itself is privy to the validity of most inside information, but also benefits from running the stories regardless; it's their lifeblood. Likewise, many celebrities need a gateway to publicity for survival.

Leona Lewis could *not* self-manage. Realise the consequences of this for a moment. The individual cannot jeopardise the masters for personal profit. Good or bad print is vital to agents.

Right now, tabloids would kill for juicy PR about Lewis, but her team aren't biting because they can make more money from a clean image; hence this manoeuvre.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewis is contracted to Simon Cowell's Syco, which in turn is a component of Sony Music Entertainment. What this means is that her team are focused on her earning potential for their company. That's what they're paid for, obviously.

Media 'leaks' such as this one are an hourly occurrence. Not just in music, but all forms of news. The media itself is privy to the validity of most inside information, but also benefits from running the stories regardless; it's their lifeblood. Likewise, many celebrities need a gateway to publicity for survival.

Leona Lewis could *not* self-manage. Realise the consequences of this for a moment. The individual cannot jeopardise the masters for personal profit. Good or bad print is vital to agents.

Right now, tabloids would kill for juicy PR about Lewis, but her team aren't biting because they can make more money from a clean image; hence this manoeuvre.

Weren't you first claiming that the money was never offered?
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful? Not in the least.
    Totally agree
    Does that mean Lilly Allen got nearly £1m for her opening last year??

If so that's crazy she's hardly a massie star....

True, but a much bigger star than Leona Lewis whose potential songs are being given to Leon Jackson as he's more marketable.

She
    didn't turn it down. She wouldn't even have had the chance. Her management turned it down for her.