Options

Official International Cricket 2010 Thread (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I have to say for the 1sxt time in memory i will be glad when this tour is over it seems every game has differant romours about spot fixing which cant be good for the game
  • Options
    NP73NP73 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    There is loud and clear talk in the bookies circle that some English players were paid enormous amounts of money to lose the match,"

Glad to know Ijaz Butt is well up in "bookies circles" anyway. I think that explains plenty about his team.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with you Hayden we both know this simply won't happen. The ECB would lose buckets of money on refunded tickets and I fear a very half hearted 2 games ahead. Ijaz Butt is a plank of the highest order, this country gave his team a home for the summer and this is how he repays us? Tosser.:mad::mad::mad:

NOt sure why your mad, the ECB have made plenty of money out of it. Its the only reason why they hosted Paksitan. Its the only reason why they insist the tour most finish, they want the money. Once the tour is over, I am sure the ECB will change will come out with statments like "in hidsight we should haev cancelled the tour".

I do agree the PCB are a joke. The only qualifications Butt has is that he is known by Zirdari. Until the PCB is appointed based on cricketing background. This kind of rubbish will continue.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Yes, that's a very good and rather blantantly obvious point. :D:p:o

It's still too late in the 'summer' for a one day final - they used to be a big event at the end of summer. :(

The end of the summer is on the 21st September:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    NOt sure why your mad, the ECB have made plenty of money out of it. Its the only reason why they hosted Paksitan. Its the only reason why they insist the tour must not finish, they want the money. Once the tour is over, I am sure the ECB will change their stance, and come out with statements like "in hindsight we should have cancelled the tour".

I do agree the PCB are a joke. The only qualifications Butt has is that he is known by Zirdari. Until the PCB is appointed based on cricketing background. This kind of rubbish will continue.

fixed the above added bits in bold
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This game is quite awkward to watch, obviously a lot of bad feeling around.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Here's me moaning about it not being right that there's cricket in late September and today's a lovely warm day and it feels like the summer, well I suppose it is still technically summer.:D
  • Options
    HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Razzaq has just smashed 44 from 20 balls, Pakistan scoring 42 runs from the last 2 overs, makes it a very competitive total...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    Razzaq has just smashed 44 from 20 balls, Pakistan scoring 42 runs from the last 2 overs, makes it a very competitive total...

It wont be a easy run chase...still think Pakistan maybe around 20 runs short though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one's mentioned the international retirement of Ryan Sidebottom? :D:eek:

He did have a great period from the summer of '07 to the spring of '08 after having just a single test in '01.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He did have a great period from the summer of '07 to the spring of '08 after having just a single test in '01.

Yeah, its just shown a few of his highlights from 2008, when he was in his purple patch. I liked his approach to the game, always wanted to win badly, he just lacked a little bit of pace when the conditions didnt suit him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »
    Yeah, its just shown a few of his highlights from 2008, when he was in his purple patch. I liked his approach to the game, always wanted to win badly, he just lacked a little bit of pace when the conditions didnt suit him.

Did Duncan Fletcher have a bit of blind spot with Sidebottom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Duncan Fletcher have a bit of blind spot with Sidebottom?

By not selecting him, you mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Sidebottom had a brief but very successful career with England and did of course win the T20 World Cup with England. He was rather underused in the last couple of years , but this was partly due to injury.

Ryan has also confirmed he has left Notts , but he certainly left on a high as a batsman as well as a bowler.

He will be a massive gain for any county next year especially as he will not be called up for England. It must have been so frustrating for him ( and Notts) to be selected so often only to be made 12th man.
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Sidebottom had a brief but very successful career with England and did of course win the T20 World Cup with England. He was rather underused in the last couple of years , but this was partly due to injury.

Ryan has also confirmed he has left Notts , but he certainly left on a high as a batsman as well as a bowler.

He will be a massive gain for any county next year especially as he will not be called up for England. It must have been so frustrating for him ( and Notts) to be selected so often only to be made 12th man.

Maybe this was part of the deal he has got with his new county.

Sign for us but we want you to play (unlike KP and Broad)

Wonder if he'll join a first division club
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him go back to Yorkshire, give a bit of experience and guidance to a decent crop of young bowlers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who was the best left arm fast bowler for England before Sidebottom?

Mullally comes to mind, he was okay but nothing special for England.

Sidebottom should've played at Headingley in '09 as a 'horses for courses' selection - he could've done the job for England that Stuart Clark did for Australia in that match (and Sidebottom was perhaps too good to fall into the category of horses for courses!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mullally comes to mind, he was okay but nothing special for England.

Sidebottom should've played at Headingley in '09 as a 'horses for courses' selection - he could've done the job for England that Stuart Clark did for Australia in that match (and Sidebottom was perhaps too good to fall into the category of horses for courses!)

John Lever of Essex in the '70's was excellent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    John Lever of Essex in the '70's was excellent

That is a while back! I was going to mention Lever but I thought there must've been someone inbetween.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a while back! I was going to mention Lever but I thought there must've been someone inbetween.:)

Struggling to think of any. (not even in one-day cricket)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    IUm not suprised Sidebottom has gone from tests buit think he could have done a good job in odi and 20/20

A decent game ins store for Wednesday. Hopefully all the bad feeling can be forgot and get back to concentrating on the end of the international summer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kwscott wrote: »
    I have to say for the 1sxt time in memory i will be glad when this tour is over it seems every game has differant romours about spot fixing which cant be good for the game
    I have to disagree. It's turned out to be a really good series:)

I suspect that the selectors have given him the nod and allowed him to retire with dignity:)
    George Hirst;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Marl Illott showed potential , but was injured too often. Before him Fred Rumsey, and the best of the lot Bill Voce.

George Hirst didn't have much success at Test level
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    George Hirst didn't have much success at Test level

Only because he was too busy taking wickets and scoring runs for Yorkshire;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Only because he was too busy taking wickets and scoring runs for Yorkshire;)

He did have his moments in Test cricket, the famous we'll get em in singles partnership and also with Rhodes bowling Australia out for 36. He was dropped later in that series for the ill fated Fred Tate who managed to lose the match on his own ( or so it is said)

Ther was an earlier left arm bowler who had huge success called John Ferris, not sure what pace he bowled though , probably just medium pace.