Magic Mike - over promoted?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it just me, or does the marketing for magic mike seem very over the top and in your face? I appreciate that the whole point if marketing is to get your attention and raise awareness, but this film is everywhere you look, in terms of on busses, posters, tv, radio, magazines and the net. It's marketing budget must be huge! It just all seems a bit over the top to me.

Has the marketing worked and are you going to see it?

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what you're on about. Only marketing i've seen for the movie is a couple of ads on tv, 1 bus with a poster and trailers in the cinema. Seems the same as any other movie. I'm not actively seeking it out, maybe that's why you're seeing so much!
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    It's not worked on me - this thread is the first time I've ever heard of it!
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not seen anything much either - there is more advertisement at bus stops and posters in the shopping centre for Abe Lincoln film - I have seen it advertised a fair bit on TV but I might be confusing some of those times with Killer Joe as I don't really pay attention as I just see Matthew McConaughey.

But not over promoted here really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    It's not worked on me - this thread is the first time I've ever heard of it!

Me too.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    First I heard of it was someone mentioning it at work last week
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of it until now. The title isn't grabbing my attention or making me want to see it on first impressions. Sounds like a kids film. I must check and see what it is about. I'm already guessing it's something I won't like...

(checks IMDb)

Sounds rather boring and uninteresting. They really must want people to go see if if they are pushing it this much. If they release the first 10 minutes on YouTube you know it's gonna tank. Just look at John Carter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a film i want to go see? Yes, because it's a Steven Soderbergh movie and i saw his last two movies which i really, really liked - Contagion and Haywire. Plus it's had great reviews all around.

However i'll be watching this when it's at its last legs at the cinema because Magic Mike is this year's 'Sex and the City' i.e. aimed solely at women.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Its wayy over promoted but idc, channing is attractive. Shallow reply.
  • AnniesBoobsAnniesBoobs Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    lol It's already a massive boxoffice smash!

Budget was only 7 million and it's already made over 75 million in the US alone ! :)
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I've never heard of it until now. The title isn't grabbing my attention or making me want to see it on first impressions. Sounds like a kids film. I must check and see what it is about. I'm already guessing it's something I won't like...

(checks IMDb)

Sounds rather boring and uninteresting. They really must want people to go see if if they are pushing it this much. If they release the first 10 minutes on YouTube you know it's gonna tank. Just look at John Carter.

it's been a massive hit already... made 10 times in budget in the first week alone

its a really charming film too, the stripping is the least interesting aspect of it. the relationship between channing tatum and alex pettyfer's sister is brilliantly done

got great reviews too
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've read loads of reviews and they are mainly positive. All of them are saying Channing is brilliant. I'm seeing it on Wednesday :D
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    First I heard of it was somebody saying how odd it is that all the girls want to go see a film about strippers and all the guys want to go see a film about a teddy bear.

I asked the missus if she wanted to go see this and she said no. Strange as shes a bit of a pervert.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find the title incongruous - it puts me in mind of an 80s or 90s kids' cartoon series.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it on a lot of buses.
    it seems every so often a film gets more bus advertisement then others.
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it A LOT! On buses, lots of TV promotion, I keep seeing ads for it on websites as well.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen a couple of advertisements for it. I have no clue what it's about, but frankly, the fact that Matthew McConaughey gets his shirt off in it is as much as I need to know :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was watching This Morning and saw Channing Tatum on the show being interviewed. He wa having a right laugh with Philip and Holly. First time i've seen any member of the cast on UK tv promoting the movie and it's out tomorrow! So, nope, still don't think it's over promoted. Don't know what else he might appear on since all the main chat shows are on a break - Norton, Carr and Ross.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

(checks IMDb)

On the contrary. I understand it's already made $100M.

I saw this last night. The storyline was very weak and the acting wasn't great but the moves sure did make up for it! :D
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i don't understand people saying they hadn't heard of it, this very site had annoying pop ups, side bars on both sides and banners at the top that rolled out covering everything advertising Magic Mike. In fact it was these banners and roll out banners that annoyed me so much it put me off EVER seeing it.....