Smoking death risk higher than thought

13»

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    I've had several family members die of smoking related diseases, it's not pretty. I see lots of school kids, around 14, smoking on the way to school, they think it looks cool but as an adult you can see its anything but.

I'm 67 and I've known one smoker die from lung cancer and it was no worse than the many other non smoking related deaths. Some were far worse. There are few easy ways to die.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I think he was taking the p!ss :D

Yep! :D
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Of course they should, and the government are pleased. We die younger so less money going to pensions, bus passes, fuel allowance etc. And if every smoker quit today, £12bn would be gone from the public purse. Where would that money come from?

It's not quite 12 billion profit though, as it does cost the NHS money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Smokers are foolish folk. :(

and people who name call are rude
    I suppose you don't drink, don't eat fatty food, and exercise an hour a day
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    and people who name call are rude
    I suppose you don't drink, don't eat fatty food, and exercise an hour a day

Other activities are foolish, but that doesn't mean that smoking is any less foolish. I have some sympathy for people who started decades ago, but none at all for those who started in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smokers are foolish folk. :(

Yeh well. if you know what addiction is like then maybe you can say something but if you don't then your opinion isn't really worth listening to. it is foolish I suppose to harm one's health. but it is hard to give up. And you may ask, why start? because of many reasons. apart from anything else it didn't seem addictive to begin with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh well. if you know what addiction is like then maybe you can say something but if you don't then your opinion isn't really worth listening to. it is foolish I suppose to harm one's health. but it is hard to give up. And you may ask, why start? because of many reasons. apart from anything else it didn't seem addictive to begin with.

That's what Christy Turlington said, people have to address the addiction, and also the notion that smokers choose to smoke, when they are often in environments where they are psychologically and physically pre-addicted to nicotine. There was even this guy on Tobacco Wars who had inoperable incurable lung cancer, who started smoking at 13 and later became a person who worked on advertising campaigns for a tobacco company, he lit a cigarette and smoked, looking at X-rays of his cancerous lungs and said, "If I had my time over again, I would have chosen not to smoke, but now, what the hell..."

If anything, smokers are victims, not necessarily stupid. After all, Einstein was a smoker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Other activities are foolish, but that doesn't mean that smoking is any less foolish. I have some sympathy for people who started decades ago, but none at all for those who started in the last 20 years.

The same reasons people get addicted to anything. Don't suppose theyre looking for your sympathy
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    It's not quite 12 billion profit though, as it does cost the NHS money.

So where does the £7bn come from?
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would put this "research" with those adverts that claim that cats prefer a certain brand of food.
    These "experts" seem to prefer funding to facts....;-)
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I'm 67 and I've known one smoker die from lung cancer and it was no worse than the many other non smoking related deaths. Some were far worse. There are few easy ways to die.

You should have tried working on a medical ward then. I saw hundreds of patients die of smoking related diseases, of which lung cancer is just one. And plenty of patients readmitted every few weeks with COPD . Not a pleasant life at all.
    Hopefully these diseases are less common with the decline in smoking rates.