US Olympic Committee vote Boston

Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Boston is the US nominated City for the 2024 Olympic Games beating LA in the vote.

Immediately Boston is a huge favourite to host in 2024.

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Is it just favourite because it is a confirmed bid?

There are lots of other potential candidates - who might appear more attractive as cities either due to the climate or their general appeal to IOC members who will have to spend two weeks there.

Rome
    Brisbane
    Paris
    Durban
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boston is a great City but I think a strong bid from one of the top European cities such as Rome, Berlin or Paris will likely win the 2024 bid
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're always keen to go to the US for the TV money.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boston is a fantastic city but I just think that it is too small for an Olympics host and events would be spread out too much.

Organisers are proposing a "temporary" stadium: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/01/15/audacious-plan-backers-city-olympic-bid-want-build-temporary-seat-stadium-south-boston/U8nsaAiY4qUbQgEQJNP7tN/story.html?event=event25

US TV and corporate sponsors will favour Boston but I would still put Paris as the clear favourites.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    They're always keen to go to the US for the TV money.

Not really. NBC has already signed a binding contract with the IOC for broadcast rights through 2032. The host cities chosen during that time will have no impact on IOC revenue from NBC.

I agree with LostFool, although greater Boston is fairly populous, the city itself is fairly compact by American standards. A temporary stadium isn't going to help either. The main thing going for it, if past history of American bids are anything to by, is that it will be a financially sound and viable bid. But if Paris or Berlin put up strong bids then there will be a strong impetus to return the games to Europe, since it will be a dozen years since London, compared to eight for The Americas (Rio). The Americans would have the likely consolation of landing the winter games in 2026 since few western governments seem prepared to put up the financing for them (the US having the luxury of more corporate financing).
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the delayed NBC 'as live' prime time coverage isn't to everyone's taste and NBC get a lot of flak for it but it seems to work in terms of ratings - incredibly London actually rated higher than the Atlanta Games in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think much of Boston 2024's logo. I'm not sure what it is supposed to be:
    http://www.2024boston.org/

Berlin or Paris would be great hosts - and both very easy for me to get to my second Olympics.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/07/27/discussions-underway-that-could-end-boston-olympic-bid/WlJlAoTnCf23rGy5hrpQtN/story.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/28/the-olympics-are-dead-why-should-anyone-want-be-a-host-city-anymore

Not really surprising to see Boston pulling out. It's possibly my favourite city in the US but I never thought it capable of hosting an Olympics and the organisers weren't able to get the locals on board - despite Boston being one of the most sports mad cities in the world.

It seems now that the only cities willing to host the Summer and Winter Olympics are those where the local population doesn't have a say in the matter.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But how much support did London's bid have as far back as 2003 (9 years before the games took place.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The USOC has now chosen Los Angeles.

5 confirmed bids are now taking place:

Paris, France
    Rome, Italy
    Hamburg, Germany
    Budapest, Hungary
    Los Angeles, America.

Paris hosted the games in 1900 and 1924.
    Rome hosted the games in 1960.
    Los Angeles hosted the games in 1932 and 1984.

The Olympic games were hosted in Germany in Berlin in 1936 and in Munich in 1972.

The games have been also been hosted in America in St. Louis in 1904, and in Atlanta in 1996.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I have happy memories of LA84 and wouldn't be sad to see it there again.

I wonder if LA could become the USA's permanent Summer Olympic venue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time to post an update.

Since the last post on this thread Rome, Hamburg and Budapest have all pulled out of the bidding.

This just leaves Paris (France) and Los Angeles (America) as the only remaining contenders.

One wonders if the International Olympic Committee (IOC) need to rethink of how the bids for the Olympics are carried out in the future.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't think much of Boston 2024's logo. I'm not sure what it is supposed to be:
    http://www.2024boston.org/

Berlin or Paris would be great hosts - and both very easy for me to get to my second Olympics.

I had to laugh when I clicked on this link two and a half years later and find it now links to a dumpster firm!