Found Wallet STUFFED with cash.

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NOW if you found £10,000 in cash in a carrier bag,and you thought it might have been drug money......would you hand it in ??????

If it was drug money, I wouldn't want it, however much there was.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got on the bus today and sat on a wallet. I opened said wallet and it was crammed with cash, like someone's wages or savings. I promptly turned in to the bus driver and made him promise he would turn it in. Now I am worried I should have kept it, tried to identify the person and rang them to come to my house and collect it. Perhaps I should have handed it to the police. Keeping it was out of the question because I classify that as stealing or being dishonest and I like my integrity.

I told my husband and he is raging. He couldn't believe I handed it back! I said, we have had a lot of good fortune in the past few weeks and I couldn't live with myself for taking it. He said, I should have at least turned it in to the police and they would have given it to me if someone hadn't reclaimed it, but my mind doesn't work that way. I have lost my wallet and my first thought is to ring all of the shops and transport I have been on to see if someone has turned it in.

Am I a mug, or would you have done the same? If the bus driver steals it, then on his head be it.
    Well done. You are not a mug, but The Police would have been the better option.
    fi~ wrote: »
    why dont you phone the bus company and enquire if someone claimed it
    Good idea
    I'd have kept the cash, but not any ccards or driving licenses etc.
    I wouldn't have given it to the bus driver. I'd have kept the cash and binned the wallet.
    We have a couple of criminals in the thread:rolleyes:
    bigbam1231 wrote: »
    unfortunately, the chances of the police being able to find the owner of a wallet with no ID in is miniscule. You should have kept the money cos now within 3 months if the owner isnt found the government gets the money!

Not so. If the owner was not traced or the wallet was not claimed, they would have to return the wallet and contents to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Well done you, OP :)

I refuse to believe society is as bad as people try to make out.
    My Mum was very lucky a few weeks ago, she withdrew £300 cash, and somehow walked away from the ATM without taking the money with her. A girl of about 15 called her back to tell her she didn't take her money, when it would've been so easy for her to grab the lot and run. I wasn't there but she said the girl looked quite rough around the edges too, the type you'd 'expect' to run off with a wad of free cash.
    People never fail to surprise me :)
  • shuddershudder Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she did. Finders Keepers Losers Weepers. Oh and you do have a good memory.:)

Ever heard of 'Theft by Finding?' - Keeping the wallet is not a viable legal option.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No reflection or offense to the OP but I've long since taken to not believeing anyone who claims to find wads of cash in the street. I find people boast about such things far too often to seem likely.

As I said no reflection on the OP but I get so tired of hearing someone or other say to me almost on a bi-monthly basis "I found £50 just laying in the street"..that now I cannot help but not believe anyone who claims to have done the same, even if it's true.
  • goonerladygoonerlady Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got on the bus today and sat on a wallet. I opened said wallet and it was crammed with cash, like someone's wages or savings. I promptly turned in to the bus driver and made him promise he would turn it in. Now I am worried I should have kept it, tried to identify the person and rang them to come to my house and collect it. Perhaps I should have handed it to the police. Keeping it was out of the question because I classify that as stealing or being dishonest and I like my integrity.

I told my husband and he is raging. He couldn't believe I handed it back! I said, we have had a lot of good fortune in the past few weeks and I couldn't live with myself for taking it. He said, I should have at least turned it in to the police and they would have given it to me if someone hadn't reclaimed it, but my mind doesn't work that way. I have lost my wallet and my first thought is to ring all of the shops and transport I have been on to see if someone has turned it in.

Am I a mug, or would you have done the same? If the bus driver steals it, then on his head be it.

I think you did the right thing in not keeping the wallet though I think I would have handed it to a police station(sorry bus driver).I found a wallet stuffed with money just before Christmas one year in someone's drive way,I posted it through the letter box.The money would have been very handy as we did not have much(still don't!)but I would not have enjoyed spending it to be honest as it was not mine to spend.I just hope if I lost my purse someone would do the same.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you had decided to give it to the Police I would try to do it as soon as possible.

If you go home first it may appear that handing it in was an merely an act of conscience.
  • comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing to have done was to have informed the driver you had found it and were handing it in to the police. Then take it to the police who will give you a reciept and if it is not claimed within a certain length of time, it's yours. It would also be a good idea to inform the bus company in case they are contacted by the owner.

My father once found a shotgun in the middle of a road.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd keep a shotgun. :)
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think you were joking...

No, she found money on the bus coming home from school.
  • comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't look good though if it turned out to have been used in a murder.

Pa hoped no-one would claim it and he'd be able to have it. Went to all the trouble of getting a licence and everything. However the cops had it on record and went to the owner. Apparently he got a right rollacking off them. He'd been out shooting with it and had it stood up it the back of an open backed van. it must have fell out going over a bump or something. He didn't report it to the police as missing cos he hadn't even noticed it had gone, which made them even more angry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well done to you, I am glad there are honest people like you in the world.

I would have kept every penny of the cash. :o
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member

you must be so proud of her taking after her father with your strong moral values like that
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news did owner phone up bus company
    I think you did right thing,you're great person
    I found wallet stuffed with money etc while back police station shut so 1 st thing in morning to the bank (credit card in wallet ) I got thank you from bank got my name and telephone number did I get a thank you call
    no did not but its right thing to hand in
    I think you get fantastic karma like if you buy lottery card you win,win premium bond if you do pbs or win competion or something wonderful will happen for you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you must be so proud of her taking after her father with your strong moral values like that

And then he wonders why she was such a little b**ch to him and driving him to suicide a while back :rolleyes:

You reap what you sow
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And then he wonders why she was such a little b**ch to him and driving him to suicide a while back :rolleyes:

It's just her age. So our GP tells me. She'll come out at the other end, aged about 18!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just her age. So our GP tells me. She'll come out at the other end, aged about 18!

Bulltish to be honest otherwise every kid would behave like that and they really don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulltish to be honest otherwise every kid would behave like that and they really don't.

Many teenagers act worse though. Ask the cops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    I can understand being tempted to keep it, especially in this climate where finances are tight to for a lot of people. I would hand it back money intact, but then my finances are healthy. If i was struggling then i don't know.

Theoretically it's the right thing to do, handing the money back, but i can understand why some people wouldn't.
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or then he could of handed it in and said....What Money? That then puts you back in the spotlight.

Being the person I am :) I'd probably kept the cash lol....maybe if I lost mine it might come back but the odds are pretty stacked against me and fair play to them for finding my misfortune.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A small amount I'd hand back but ten grand I'd keep.

There was a guy in Philly who found a bag of money that fell out of an armoured truck.
    If he'd kept quiet and spent it slowly he'd probably have been alright but he opened his mouth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    mmm
    ever heard of karma

According to the Buddhist philosophy the bad karma you accumulate in this life will be repaid in the next (completely redundant if you don't believe in reincarnation). It's not an immediate payback.

I find that when people speak of 'karma' in those terms they're actually referring to the Wiccan 'rule of three', something completely distinct from Buddhism.

Sorry, i know i'm being pedantic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    No reflection or offense to the OP but I've long since taken to not believeing anyone who claims to find wads of cash in the street. I find people boast about such things far too often to seem likely.

As I said no reflection on the OP but I get so tired of hearing someone or other say to me almost on a bi-monthly basis "I found £50 just laying in the street"..that now I cannot help but not believe anyone who claims to have done the same, even if it's true.
    Why on earth would I lie about something like that? I have a happy and healthy life, and have no need to big myself up. I didn't find it in the street, I sat on a wallet on the bus. It's hardly boasting, if I returned it. Your cynicism is actually depressing, and I am one of the world's biggest cynics.
    Any news did owner phone up bus company
    I think you did right thing,you're great person
    I found wallet stuffed with money etc while back police station shut so 1 st thing in morning to the bank (credit card in wallet ) I got thank you from bank got my name and telephone number did I get a thank you call
    no did not but its right thing to hand in
    I think you get fantastic karma like if you buy lottery card you win,win premium bond if you do pbs or win competion or something wonderful will happen for you

I rang the bus company a minute ago and the driver handed in the wallet and they will contact the owner. I do hope he gets his cash and wallet back.
    My husband was going on about rewards, but I honestly don't think like that. A reward was the furthest thing from my mind. We aren't struggling financially, but I could understood if someone who was kept the money. I still wouldn't have kept it if we were broke. In hindsight, I probably should have taken it home, contacted the owner/his bank/the police, but hey-ho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you take it to the police you know it's been handed in.If you depend on the bus driver to hand it in there is the chance he won't.

But you automatically go to the driver and only later do you think I should have handed it in myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many teenagers act worse though. Ask the cops.

And you've proved my point - it's this reasoning which is why she disrespects you and walks all over you - it's your own fault. If someone else's child is a murderer it doesn't make it OK for yours to be a thief (that's just an analogy, not actually saying your daughter is a thief)

Anyway this is OT now - sorry OP.