Who is your favourite Batman?

Comments

• johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought I was the only one who thought Keaton's Batman was the best...on here it seems that he is the overwhelmingly preffered one. His balance between cheesy superhero and pshyco vigilante was perfectly portayed...the menace in his voice when he says to Moxy (I call him that, because that's the part he played in Auf Wedersien Pet:)) "I'm Batman" is just brilliant

I think that Batman '89 was not only the best Batman film, but quite possibly one of the best fims of all time.

Subsequent Batmans have been ok, with Bale being the next best....George Clooney though..tch tch..criminal :o
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Kevin Conroy

Kevin Conroy IS Batman - no one else even comes close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else to contribute, now we have a best batman film thread going....?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else to contribute, now we have a best batman film thread going....?

Do we? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Keaton was the best Batman. :)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    Michael Keaton

The perfect Batman and Bruce Wayne. Will never be bettered
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Keaton

The perfect Batman and Bruce Wayne. Will never be bettered

He has been bettered. Christian Bale's portrayal of Batman is far better than Keaton's. Michael Keaton never carried the same emotional weight as Bale did as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Keaton's Batman was one dimensional.
    Forum Member
    He has been bettered. Christian Bale's portrayal of Batman is far better than Keaton's. Michael Keaton never carried the same emotional weight as Bale did as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Keaton's Batman was one dimensional.

Bale's performance was rubbish. His Batman voice just makes me laugh, and his Bruce Wayne is basically Patrick Bateman without the dead prostitutes.

Keaton reigns supreme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bale's performance was rubbish. His Batman voice just makes me laugh, and his Bruce Wayne is basically Patrick Bateman without the dead prostitutes.

Keaton reigns supreme.

Bale's performance as Batman is way better, particularly his performance in Batman Begins.

But it all comes down to 'that voice' that some people can't get past. Bale's portrayal was far closer to the source material.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Definitely Bale. He didn't get much to do as Bruce Wayne in TDK, but his performance in BB was flawless. I expect, with the 8 year gap, that we'll get to see Bale as Bruce a bit more at the start of TDKR. He won't let us down.
    Forum Member
    Bale's performance as Batman is way better, particularly his performance in Batman Begins.

But it all comes down to 'that voice' that some people can't get past. Bale's portrayal was far closer to the source material.

Source material isn't a big deal for me. Spiderman was supposed to wear webslingers. They changed it to organic webbing, which made considerably more sense. Now it's back to webslingers for the reboot. Not all source material is necessarily superior.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Definitely Bale. He didn't get much to do as Bruce Wayne in TDK

The Dark Knight was always more of an ensemble film. All of the essential character development was done in Batman Begins. Bale still does quite a lot in The Dark Knight but the supporting actors Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman and Heath Ledger bring their A game also. Their characters are every bit as vital as the Batman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source material isn't a big deal for me. Spiderman was supposed to wear webslingers. They changed it to organic webbing, which made considerably more sense. Now it's back to webslingers for the reboot. Not all source material is necessarily superior.

You're right but Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman was far more interesting than Keaton's. Bale played the three personas of the playboy billionaire/frightened Bruce Wayne/Batman monster fantastically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Keaton for me. I seem to remember him saying he got fed up of playing the title role but being the sideshow to the big name paying the villain all the time.

Mind you, I quite enjoyed Heath Ledger blasting the endlessly drab Bale of the screen.
    Forum Member
    You're right but Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman was far more interesting than Keaton's. Bale played the three personas of the playboy billionaire/frightened Bruce Wayne/Batman monster fantastically.

Keaton's version was more oddball. I prefer eccentric characters. Bale looks like a statuesque male model. I can never distinguish what emotion he's trying to convey. He always looks the same to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keaton's version was more oddball. I prefer eccentric characters. Bale looks like a statuesque male model. I can never distinguish what emotion he's trying to convey. He always looks the same to me.

You can't tell what emotion he's trying to convey? There's this thing called subtlety :D

Michael Keaton's performance was fine but he never got the balance of playing Bruce Wayne and Batman right IMO. Bale did that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Mind you, I quite enjoyed Heath Ledger blasting the endlessly drab Bale of the screen.

It's a shame you think that as Bale was underrated. But then again a lot of people like the theatrics but fail to see the subtly of the other performances, Gary Oldman's in particular. He gave an Oscar worthy performance, every bit as good as Heath's IMO.
    Forum Member
    You can't tell what emotion he's trying to convey? There's this thing called subtlety :D

Michael Keaton's performance was fine but he never got the balance of playing Bruce Wayne and Batman right IMO. Bale did that.

Subtlety is fine. Bale is just wooden.
  • benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Keaton is my fave and the one I most associate with the role.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam West right for the 60s era Batman but not darker modern day version.

Keaton was a good Bruce Wayne but it was not very believable that he was also the super-hero Batman.

Val Kilmer very average Batman. Thought the Batman hood made the bottom half of his face look weird.

George Clooney a big joke that he was ever cast in the role. Was he the first gay Batman?

Bale brilliant Batman but not very good (wooden) Bruce Wayne.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Keaton. " Let's get NUTS !". Absolutely brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like I'm alone then :cry::D
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    another vote for Michael Keaton. The original Batman film was brilliant except for the jarring insert of Prince's music.
    Pity MK's career's gone a bit south since then as he's a versatile and talented actor.
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always going to be Michael Keaton for me. He had the most expressive eyes...so perfect for Batman/Bruce.

I do love Christian Bale but the awful voice he chose to use for the Batman portion of the role does ruin it for me somewhat. I can appreciate Batman needing to sound different to Bruce being a good idea, but Nolan and Bale desperately needed to bring it down several notches. It just doesn't work and ruins an otherwise really realistic interpretation of the Batverse.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another vote for Michael Keaton. The original Batman film was brilliant except for the jarring insert of Prince's music.
    Pity MK's career's gone a bit south since then as he's a versatile and talented actor.

Yes. When I saw him for the first time in 'Night Shift' I thought this guy is going to be big ...... and he was ..... and then he played a snowman and it was all downhill from there.