***The Official Christmas Radio Times Countdown and Christmas TV Thread 2015***

Comments

• marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Victoria Wood was on the One Show before Christmas she said she would love to do another of her specials such as Midlife and All The Trimmings so hopefully that could be done for 2015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's only December 2014 but these have already been confirmed for Christmas 2015!

BBC

Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None
    Call the Midwife
    Sherlock

ITV

The Jonathan Ross Show

Add The Stick Man and Mrs Brown's Boys to BBC One
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your Nominations please for

The Best programme on TV Christmas 2014

Most Disappointing programme on TV Christmas 2014 (thats one you were looking forward to but was a let down)

Most surprising progamme ( the one you didnt expect to like but did)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Here is few possible schedules all have Sherlock and Doctor Who split up

1. With Call the Midwife and 1hr strictly

15:00 The Queen
    15:10 Brave
    16:45 BBC News
    17:00 Strictly Come Dancing
    18:00 Doctor Who
    19:00 Call the Midwife
    20:15 Eastenders
    21:15 Sherlock
    22:45 News

We can be sure that
    Eastenders
    Doctor who
    Sherlock
    Strictly Come Dancing
    1 film
    will air on xmas day

but Call the Midwife
    Mrs Brown
    Animated special
    could be in doubt and may be moved to Boxing Day.

By the way I love Mrs Brown and would hate to not have it on xmas day so I prefer schedule 2

I'm going with your first suggestion. Though I still feel Sherlock is destined to get a 9pm start. But I wouldn't be shocked if it was on Boxing day. Then a Series 4 start on New Years day?

Brave as the Christmas afternoon film is looking a cert for me then Wreck It Ralph on New Years Day. I hope Rise Of The Guardians is on Christmas Eve!

The Croods, Life Of Pi, Oz the Great and Powerful and Iron Man 3 are my other predictions.

ITV? Well I'm going with Frozen as their big premiere, after all they did put Tangled on back in 2012.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect they'll go for £3.99 or £3.95 for next Christmas's issue. That wouldn't look quite as offputting to casual buyers.
  • Callum_Preciou2Callum_Preciou2 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    LibLabCON wrote: »
    I'm going with your first suggestion. Though I still feel Sherlock is destined to get a 9pm start. But I wouldn't be shocked if it was on Boxing day. Then a Series 4 start on New Years day?

Brave as the Christmas afternoon film is looking a cert for me then Wreck It Ralph on New Years Day. I hope Rise Of The Guardians is on Christmas Eve!

The Croods, Life Of Pi, Oz the Great and Powerful and Iron Man 3 are my other predictions.

ITV? Well I'm going with Frozen as their big premiere, after all they did put Tangled on back in 2012.

My predictions of the BBC One network premieres are: The Iron Man Trilogy, Saving Mr Banks, The Star Wars Saga, Night at the Museum, Oz: Great and Powerful, and Brave.

ITV premiere prediction: The Dark Night Rises, and The Hangover II.

Channel 5 premiere prediction: Fred The Movie.

Channel 4 premiere prediction: Fast and Furious 6.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV premiere prediction: The Dark Night Rises

Nah, surely that wouldn't be until 2019. ;)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my prediction for BBC One and BBC Two premieres for Christmas 2015:

BBC One: Saving Mr. Banks, Rise of the Guardians, Oz: The Great and Powerful, Brave and Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie.

BBC Two: Philomena, Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, A Long Way Down, and Spike Island.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just said goodbye to the 2014 thread, so here for my first visit to the 2015 one.

I said on the 2014 thread that I watched less tv this Christmas and new year than I think I have ever done. I don't know if that says more about me or what was shown?

Anyway, before we know it Easter will have come and gone, the May bank holidays will be past, the tans from the summer will have faded, Halloween and Guy Fawkes night will be but a memory, Wizzywick will have run the pre front cover competition competition and Claires_dad will have opened the legendary guess the front cover competition. The time will fly bye!

Have a good year everyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Just said goodbye to the 2014 thread, so here for my first visit to the 2015 one.

I said on the 2014 thread that I watched less tv this Christmas and new year than I think I have ever done. I don't know if that says more about me or what was shown?

Anyway, before we know it Easter will have come and gone, the May bank holidays will be past, the tans from the summer will have faded, Halloween and Guy Fawkes night will be but a memory, Wizzywick will have run the pre front cover competition competition and Claires_dad will have opened the legendary guess the front cover competition. The time will fly bye!

Have a good year everyone.

BIB: Already compiling questions! They're not going to be as easy this year! Get revising! claires_dad's website is a useful research tool! The Quiz returns on August 22nd!

Claires Dad, would it be possible to put a link to your website on this thread? Thanks.
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    BIB: Already compiling questions! They're not going to be as easy this year! Get revising! claires_dad's website is a useful research tool!

Claires Dad, would it be possible to put a link to your website on this thread? Thanks.

http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    This article from the Daily Mail about tv ratings over the New Year period makes for interesting reading http:// www,dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2895050/New-Year-TV-flops-6million-tune-Bank-Holiday-schedule-soap-operas-sitcoms-old.
  • AllanAllan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »

Never, ever were truer words spoken! A year now I'm in my 60s seems like a month when I was a child!
  • digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    i would like to see an old sitcom come back for Christmas, dinnerladies, gimme gimme gimme, men behaving badly, absolutely fabulous, only fools and horses, if johns sons would write it, anyone of them would be good rather than the same old every Christmas which is becoming rather tedious

It's been over done. The essential problem has been that sitcoms went out of favour with broadcasters some 20 yrs ago. Now, with the world & his significant other complaining about BBC output and strongly agreeing to freeze the licence fee we are less likely than ever to get brilliant xmas sitcom specials. The sitcom is notoriously difficult in terms of capturing a regular audience to combat the relatively high cost of producing it. Even in it's heyday a new sitcom was never guaranteed a dedicated following (e.g. even sitcom greats like John Sullivan, Carla Lane, Ronnie Barker etc had new ventures that never graced a 2nd or 3rd series).
    The BBC have been more than aware during this time that the one thing truly missing in their Christmas schedule is a brilliant sitcom special like the ones everyone remembers. Subsequently, they 'brought back' many of the better sitcoms to fill that gap. It has never really worked out though - Royle Family, Absolutely Fabulous, To the Manor Born, Only Fools, Dibley, Still open all Hours etc. None of these individual specials are particularly memorable and have been of quite variable quality. I don't know anyone who watches the 'time on our hands' Only Fools special who then doesn't say "they should have left it there".
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »

Most Disappointing programme on TV Christmas 2014 (thats one you were looking forward to but was a let down)

Just noticed this.

The best programme, on Christmas Eve BBC4 had a 30 minute Frank Sinatra/Bing Crosby Christmas show. Just perfect for that time. I had never seen it before and was originally broadcast in 1957, according to IMDB, complete with Frank thanking Chesterfields cigarettes, the sponsers :D

Most disappointing, to be honest, anything I didn't fancy, I just didn't watch. And there was a lot I didn't fancy.

Most surprising, there were a couple of BBC Scotland programmes looking back at 2014 in Scotland, a year of the referendum, Commonwealth Games, the Ryder Cup and plenty of other things. They were pretty good.
  • digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member

Best - Christmas in one day (More4 - xmas eve).
    I think it was a repeat, but a film where they
    gave different people camcorders to record
    their Christmas. It was a brilliant, true life
    record of contemporary Christmas in the UK
    - wrapping presents, school nativities, cooking
    turkeys, homeless shelters etc.

Disappointing - Skyfall - cut to bits by ITV

Surprising - Dr Who (BBC1 - xmas day)
    The xmas specials aren't always great but I
    really enjoyed this years - a real mystery
    combined with brilliant SFX!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digiblade wrote: »

Disappointing - Skyfall - cut to bits by ITV

Surprising - Dr Who (BBC1 - xmas day)
    The xmas specials aren't always great but I
    really enjoyed this years - a real mystery
    combined with brilliant SFX!

I watched Christmas in a day but the lsitings said it was NEW but it was kind of a repeat as some of the videos were used in last years Sainsbury's ad

Skyfall is getting another showing on ITV next Saturday
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    digiblade wrote: »

Another vote for this. Best programme I watched over Xmas and very festive. Glad i recorded it onto my PVR :)
  • BoyontbridgeBoyontbridge Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    According to the Sun Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Specials are confirmed until 2020

That means the Christmas 2020 one is almost 6 years away. That is an absolute MASSIVE Gamble by the BEEB. And whilst it topped in 2014 at 7.63 million it is hardly a record breaker. I just cannot believe any programme would be commisioned for 6 years
    Forum Member
    Good question!

BBC have had pretty much the same schedule for the last few years and top the ratings, be interesting to see how they would fit Sherlock into a Christmas Day schedule.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sherlock is kept for New Year's Day.

As predicted in post 27 - Sunday 27th or NYD
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I may get flamed for this but I would love to see THE ROYLE FAMILY back this coming christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That means the Christmas 2020 one is almost 6 years away. That is an absolute MASSIVE Gamble by the BEEB. And whilst it topped in 2014 at 7.63 million it is hardly a record breaker. I just cannot believe any programme would be commisioned for 6 years

I think it says alot about how bare the BBC's comedy cupboard is. They probably think "At least with MBB, we've got something funny to show on Christmas Day!"
    Forum Member
    Batfink wrote: »
    I may get flamed for this but I would love to see THE ROYLE FAMILY back this coming christmas.
    I think we'd all love them back, but only at their acutely observational best and not the trite that was served up in the shocker that was their final Christmas Special
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I think it says alot about how bare the BBC's comedy cupboard is. They probably think "At least with MBB, we've got something funny to show on Christmas Day!"

Apparently there will be no new series of MBB so the Christmas specials will be that - special