2015/16 Premier League Tv Fixtures Thread

JudioJudio Posts: 11,775
Forum Member
✭✭
Now that the FA has released a draft schedule I thought that we should start a new thread for next season

THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
FIXTURE LIST – SEASON 2015-2016
Sat 8 Aug Premier League Commences
Tue 11 Aug UEFA Super Cup
Tue 18 Aug UEFA Champions League Qualifying Play-Off(1)
Tue 25 Aug UEFA Champions League Qualifying Play-Off(2)
Sat 5 Sep San Marino –v- England – Euro 2016 Qualifier
Tue 8 Sep England –v- Switzerland – EURO 2016 Qualifier
Tue 15 Sep UEFA Champions League MD1
Wed 23 Sep Football League Cup 3
Tue 29 Sep UEFA Champions League MD2
Fri 9 Oct England v Estonia – EURO 2016 Qualifier
Mon 12 Oct Lithuania v England – EURO 2016 Qualifier
Tue 20 Oct UEFA Champions League MD3
Wed 28 Oct Football League Cup 4
Tue 3 Nov UEFA Champions League MD4
Fri 13 Nov Possible England International
Tue 17 Nov Possible England International
Tue 24 Nov UEFA Champions League MD5
Wed 2 Dec Football League Cup 5
Tue 8 Dec UEFA Champions League MD6
Sat 26 Dec Boxing Day
Fri 1 Jan New Year’s Day
Sat 2 Jan
Wed 6 Jan Football League Cup SF(1)
Sat 9 Jan FA Cup 3P
Wed 27 Jan Football League Cup SF(2)
Sat 30 Jan FA Cup 4P
Tue 16 Feb UEFA Champions League 16(1)
Sat 20 Feb FA Cup 5P
Tue 23 Feb UEFA Champions League 16(1)
Sun 28 Feb Football League Cup Final
Tue 8 Mar UEFA Champions League 16(2)
Sat 12 Mar FA Cup 6P
Tue 15 Mar UEFA Champions League 16(2)
Fri 25 Mar Good Friday
Sat 26 Mar
Mon 28 Mar Bank Holiday
Tue 5 Apr UEFA Champions League QF(1)
Tue 12 Apr UEFA Champions League QF(2)
Sat 23 Apr FA Cup SF
Tue 26 April UEFA Champions League SF(1)
Tue 3 May UEFA Champions League SF(2)
Sun 15 May End of Premier League
Wed 18 May UEFA Europa League Final
Sat 21 May FA Cup Final
Sat 28 May UEFA Champions League Final
Fri 10 June UEFA Euro 2016 commences
Sun 10 July UEFA Euro 2016 Final

Comments

• JudioJudio Posts: 11,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First question

Which possible dates will be used for BT's Contract of 5 Holidays and Midweeks ??

The reason is that Boxing Day is a Saturday and New Years Day is a Friday

So will they have a full Easter Monday list instead ???

Based on last season the 5th Round of the League Cup may be on Dec 15th and not the 1st
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possible Midweek Dates

12 Aug (UEFA ban re Super Cup clashing on TV ?? )

2 Dec (or 16 Dec)

13 Jan

3 Feb

2 Mar (Unlikely due to Cup Replays)
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,812
    Forum Member
    How often are the newly promoted sides on early on - guess that really depends on how the fixtures line up but guess they try to put them on a couple of times against the big boys...
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    First question

Which possible dates will be used for BT's Contract of 5 Holidays and Midweeks ??

So will they have a full Easter Monday list instead ???

Based on last season the 5th Round of the League Cup may be on Dec 15th and not the 1st

Boxing Day could be classed as a BH for TV purposes even though it is a Saturday. Possibly, the blackout rule may not apply that day.

Monday 28th December is a bank holiday and I assume there will be a full round of games that day.

Easter 2016 is during an international break, so that would be unavailable for a BH round.

As for the August midweek, even if the 12th is out, they could play most of the games on the 11th, with BT showing their second game on Thursday night.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxing Day could be classed as a BH for TV purposes even though it is a Saturday. Possibly, the blackout rule may not apply that day.

Monday 28th December is a bank holiday and I assume there will be a full round of games that day.

Boxing Day will presumably work like a regular weekend, that's what happened in 2009 when Sky had Super Sunday on the 27th as usual. So Monday 28th will be the Bank Holiday round, which is just the reverse of what we've had the last two seasons when the round in between Christmas and New Year was a normal weekend.

Because the FA Cup third round is on the second weekend of January, there's presumably a bit of flexibility. It may be we have a repeat of what we had on Boxing Day and Sunday 28th this season where everyone plays on New Year's Day, the Friday, and then there's a full programme spread over Sunday 3rd and (the evening of) Monday 4th.
    Easter 2016 is during an international break, so that would be unavailable for a BH round.

As for the August midweek, even if the 12th is out, they could play most of the games on the 11th, with BT showing their second game on Thursday night.

There's no international break at Easter 2016, there wouldn't be three months before the Euros. It's only in odd-numbered years the last weekend in March is an international break. Hasn't been an August midweek for ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no international break at Easter 2016, there wouldn't be three months before the Euros. It's only in odd-numbered years the last weekend in March is an international break. Hasn't been an August midweek for ages.

It's listed as an international break on the FIFA calendar.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's listed as an international break on the FIFA calendar.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

OK, but there won't be any qualifiers for anything, only friendlies. I don't think they've ever demanded associations drop a weekend of fixtures for friendlies so I'm assuming they'll all be midweek.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that the FA has released a draft schedule I thought that we should start a new thread for next season

THE FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
    FIXTURE LIST – SEASON 2015-2016
    Tue 17 Nov Possible England International

Hasn't there been a friendly arranged v France for this date?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, but there won't be any qualifiers for anything, only friendlies. I don't think they've ever demanded associations drop a weekend of fixtures for friendlies so I'm assuming they'll all be midweek.

That would prevent the PL scheduling games on Easter Monday, since I assume any friendlies will be played on Tuesday 29th March.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would prevent the PL scheduling games on Easter Monday, since I assume any friendlies will be played on Tuesday 29th March.

Indeed, but we've only had an Easter Monday fixture list once since 2007, so I think we can safely say the Premier League now generally won't put a full fixture list on that day unless they have no other options to squeeze in 38 games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possible Midweek Dates

12 Aug (UEFA ban re Super Cup clashing on TV ?? )

2 Dec (or 16 Dec)

13 Jan

3 Feb

2 Mar (Unlikely due to Cup Replays)

15/16 December, 12/13 January, 2/3 February look like the most likely dates for midweek games.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have also got hold of the "leaked" fixture list for the first day of the new season.

Team A v Southampton
    Team B v Team D
    Team C v West Ham
    Team E v Tottenham

Arsenal v AFC Bournemouth
    Chelsea v WBA
    Crystal Palace v Watford
    Everton v Manchester City
    Manchester United v Stoke
    Swansea v Liverpool
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Having never had the need to know the intricacies of how the Premier League TV deals work before, could someone give this newbie to the Premier League an idiots guide too...

When are the TV selections made? Are they done in a better way than the ad hoc basis Sky pick Championship games?

How many times are each team likely to appear on Sky and BT?

Thanks! :D
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    Having never had the need to know the intricacies of how the Premier League TV deals work before, could someone give this newbie to the Premier League an idiots guide too...

When are the TV selections made? Are they done in a better way than the ad hoc basis Sky pick Championship games?

yes they are done in batches i think about 6 weeks in advance but could be wrong.

Maximum is 28, minimum 7 is it, others would no better.

i would have guessed bournemouth will be around the lower limit

hope it helps
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some useful links:
    PL TV rights 2016/17-2018/19 thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2032192
    PL TV Fixtures 2014/15 thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1968474
    PL TV rights 2013/14-2015/16 thread part 2 - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1755756
    PL TV rights 2013/14-2015/16 thread part 1 - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1649839

We can expect the fixture list for the new season to be released around mid-June. This is something that will be announced in advance. Then comes the wait for the first batch of live games to be confirmed. This happens around a month after the fixture list release (without much notice) and will see the live games from August through November announced. The remaining live fixtures are released one month at a time, starting around two months in advance but slowly sliding to around one month in advance.

This is the last season of the current three-year Sky-BT deal with the packages distributed as follows (courtesy of mlt11 post from back in the day!):

Package A (BT): 26 at Sat 12.45pm
    - 13 1st picks
    - 13 4th picks

Package B (BSkyB): 16-18 at Sat 5.30pm; 6-7 at Sun 12pm or 1.30pm/2.05pm; 2-3 Bank hols
    - 22 3rd picks
    - 4 5th picks

Package C (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 1.30pm/2.05pm
    - 13 2nd picks
    - 13 3rd picks

Package D (BSkyB): 26 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm
    - 20 1st picks
    - 6 4th picks

Package E (BSkyB): 18-22 at Mon 8pm; 4-8 at Sun 4pm/4.10pm or Sat 12.45pm
    - 12 2nd picks
    - 10 4th picks
    - 4 5th picks

Package F (BSkyB): 12 at Sat 5.30pm
    - 8 2nd picks
    - 4 4th picks

Package G (BT): 10 Midweek and Bank hols; 2 at Sat 12.45pm
    - 5 1st picks
    - 5 2nd picks
    - 2 5th picks

Club Quotas (in alphabetical package order):
    Maximum: 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 2, 2 (Total = 28)
    Minimum: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0 (Total = 5)

Pick totals:
    - 38 1st picks
    - 38 2nd picks
    - 35 3rd picks
    - 33 4th picks
    - 10 5th picks

Note that from 2016/17 the packages are different, with BT holding the equivalent packages B and F. For full details of the new packages, see here.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And since the most common question on these threads tends to be 'when will the live games for [enter your favourite month here] be announced?', I thought I'd post this here too:

August-November
    2014/15 - Mon 14 Jul
    2013/14 - Thu 11 Jul
    2012/13 - Thu 5 Jul
    2011/12 - Mon 11 Jul
    2010/11 - Tue 6 Jul
    2009/10 - Thu 9 Jul

December
    2014/15 - Mon 6 Oct
    2013/14 - Wed 9 Oct
    2012/13 - Fri 6 Oct
    2011/12 - Fri 7 Oct
    2010/11 - Tue 5 Oct
    2009/10 - Thu 8 Oct

January
    2014/15 - Tue 11 Nov
    2013/14 - Mon 4 Nov
    2012/13 - Wed 31 Oct
    2011/12 - Tue 25 Oct
    2010/11 - Thu 27 Oct
    2009/10 - Sun 8 Nov

February
    2014/15 - Fri 20 Dec
    2013/14 - Tue 10 Dec
    2012/13 - Tue 4 Dec
    2011/12 - Fri 2 Dec
    2010/11 - Tue 7 Dec
    2009/10 - Tue 1 Dec

March
    2014/15 - Wed 21 Jan
    2013/14 - Mon 27 Jan
    2012/13 - Fri 18 Jan
    2011/12 - Mon 23 Jan
    2010/11 - Tue 18 Jan
    2009/10 - Tue 26 Jan

April
    2014/15 - Fri 20 Feb
    2013/14 - Thu 27 Feb
    2012/13 - Wed 13 Feb
    2011/12 - Wed 22 Feb
    2010/11 - Fri 25 Feb
    2009/10 - Mon 22 Feb

May
    2014/15 - Thu 2 Apr
    2013/14 - Fri 4 Apr
    2012/13 - Thu 10 Apr
    2011/12 - Wed 4 Apr
    2010/11 - Mon 28 Mar
    2009/10 - Fri 19 Mar
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Thanks Igloo, those two posts are excellent and I'm sure I'll be coming back to those posts throughout the season as I try to plan away days without getting caught out by Sky and BT over fixture changes...

...although it looks like we could end up having less TV games then we had this season. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that BT are meant to be offering the PL games free for broadband customers from next season as well

The Champions League coverage will cost money though

No Confirmation of it sill being free on Virgin ???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    How often are the newly promoted sides on early on - guess that really depends on how the fixtures line up but guess they try to put them on a couple of times against the big boys...

Well yes, obviously. It depends on the fixtures. It is a bit early to be starting this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First question

I honestly think this seasons thread suffered as a result of some people over complicating everything.

By the way the first question is which 20 clubs will be competing in the Premier League next season!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The last August internationals were in 2013 when England played Scotland in a friendly.

There IS an international break in March 2016. FIFA changed the international calander starting after the 2014 world cup. Each set of 2 years after a major international tournament has international breaks in September, October, November, and March, with the odd numbered years having internaionals in June, (with the even numbered years being used for the tournaments.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The international break in March 2016 is for a double header of friendlies! Whether England choose to play 2 friendlies in that period is obviously up to the FA, but I guess other countries will. It really will be no different to an international break at any other time of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fletch10 wrote: »

First of all welcome to the thread, and congulations on your team AFC Bournemouth getting into the Premier League. This is a very good thread to follow, the quality and quantity of posts is usually high, and your certainly get more in depth analysis than anywhere else I can think of.

I think that certain newspapers might be reading this thread over the season! They certainly quickly corrected themselves after the 2013-2014 first batch of TV fixtures were realised when it was said by the Daily Mail that Sky had used all of their 20 first picks immediately in the first 20 fixtures. Of course all of the first 20 sets of fixtures for TV had not being selected at that point, it was impossible because some of the first 20 sets of fixtures had midweeks in them which would automatically be BTs first pick, and besides that it would simply lack common sense of Sky to let BT have all first picks as the run in to the season would be shown on BT!

It was immediately picked up and commented on in this thread and soon enough there had being a correction on the Daily Mail (no doubt Sky might have had a word with them as well.) Sporting Intelligence once published mlt11's own figures of the estimated cost for each package that was bid.

Even if your team get relegated to the championship (or even league 1 in successive years!) it is still a good thread to follow and I always enjoy the fixtures for TV being realised just to see reactions from posters afterwards. It seems almost unfair for me to pick out individual posters, but I will pick out mlt11, TLG86 and also Igloo_man.

As for your specific questions, Sky are likely to show you at least 6 times in a season. They have a minimum of 4 times to show you, but always like to show each club more than the minimum number of times that they have to. BTs minimum is 1, and it maybe that you are indeed only shown once on BT.

That would mean you are likely to be shown at least 7 times during the season. The maximum is 28 (21 on Sky, 7 on BT.) The minimum is 5 (not 7) and that is 4 times on Sky and 1 on BT. I hope you enjoy the season, and I also hope you enjoy the thread.
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone please clsrify: is it a case of Sky choosing the 4pm first and then down the packages? Not sure how it works.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think this seasons thread suffered as a result of some people over complicating everything.

By the way the first question is which 20 clubs will be competing in the Premier League next season!

Speak for yourself. Personally I doubt I'll sleep tonight for worrying about which round will be classed as midweek.