BT set to charge for CL games

Comments

• PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smidster wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the pricing details when they are announced (tomorrow?)

I am a Sky customer with BT sport through plusnet.

The key for me is what the "premium content" is going to be in the new pricing structure. If it is just the UCL then I wouldn't mind as not all that bothered about football in general. My concern is that the additional charges will soon range to other sports (e.g. Rugby final) in order to ensure the customer loses out.

Fairly soon something will have to go and have to say at the moment i would probably be BT.
    Since they're labeling it the "new home of European football" I think it will have some, if not most, of the European league matches, in addition obviously to the CL and EL. I wonder if BT will try and go for La Liga rights? Sky have been strangely quiet on those after winning the Spanish Cup rights a little while ago.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,983
    Forum Member
    BT had an advert on ITV 4 this evening with the chosen Juan promoting their UCL deal.
  • syko29793syko29793 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    They certainly didn't provide a complete answer to my question, and "you won't be getting Champions League for free" is a fairly essential bit of information.

There are people with exactly the same comments on this thread:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3111471/BT-charge-extra-Champions-League-coverage-TV-war-hots-more.html

I know it's the Mail and a Charles Sale article, so every person posting there must be insane, but it shows I'm not the only one who feels a little deceived by what BT didn't tell me when I renewed the broadband.

I really Can't see how you feel you were mislead or deceived .

You have now, exactly what you agreed to when you renewed your contract, which is BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN for free.

BT Sport Europe is a new BT TV channel that wasn't even dreamt of when you renewed. How could the advisor you spoke to possibly have known what was going to happen.

We don't even know how much it's going to cost until it's announced tomorrow so how do you know it's not going to be free?? Who knows? anything could happen. You can't have everything for nothing.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to BT the cost of this new channel plus HD could be less than HD on Sky. I'm intrigued by the structure of their 4k rollout and pricing.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been watching Sky for the last few years and I have been made to believe this is the best competition and even better than the World Cup

But now all of a sudden

Sky Sports chief Barney Francis fired the opening shot in the latest battle with BT Sport by claiming that viewers' interest in Europe's flagship Champions League is on a rapid slide.
    Francis chose the eve of BT's launch of their European coverage next season to make his provocative comments.
    Writing in his blog, Francis argued that the Champions League — which BT snatched from Sky and ITV by paying £897million for live coverage over three seasons — was not the valuable asset it once was. He said it accounted for just 2.5 per cent of Sky Sports' viewing figures and claimed the Barclays Premier League was 'seven times bigger'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3116091/Sky-Sports-chief-Barney-Francis-takes-dig-BT-Sport-Champions-League-TV-deal-eve-launch-897m-coverage.html#ixzz3cY7hpbMR
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    I have been watching Sky for the last few years and I have been made to believe this is the best competition and even better than the World Cup

But now all of a sudden

Sky Sports chief Barney Francis fired the opening shot in the latest battle with BT Sport by claiming that viewers' interest in Europe's flagship Champions League is on a rapid slide.
    Francis chose the eve of BT's launch of their European coverage next season to make his provocative comments.
    Writing in his blog, Francis argued that the Champions League — which BT snatched from Sky and ITV by paying £897million for live coverage over three seasons — was not the valuable asset it once was. He said it accounted for just 2.5 per cent of Sky Sports' viewing figures and claimed the Barclays Premier League was 'seven times bigger'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3116091/Sky-Sports-chief-Barney-Francis-takes-dig-BT-Sport-Champions-League-TV-deal-eve-launch-897m-coverage.html#ixzz3cY7hpbMR
    There's a surprise! Sky in "lose valuable rights they unsuccessfully begged UEFA to re-open the negotiations on AFTER BT's bid, and proceed to pretend they weren't in the least bit interested, and the competition is now irrelevant as it's not on Sky" shocker.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    A rapid slide in interest is just down to a lack of English teams getting to the latter stages, that and the pacing of euro matches is much slower than that of the epl

Bt would need an English team getting to the later stages for it to be a success imo
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They also need to make sure Man United get into the Champions League Group stages first !!!
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find it pretty galling seeing the likes of Lineker, Savage, Rio and Darren Fletcher wetting themselves with excitement at the prospect of average Joe having to fork out more money to watch the same content as this season.
  • david04121980david04121980 Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Stumacher7Stumacher7 Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Btsporteurope Twitter feed saying big day ahead join us at 10:30
  • david04121980david04121980 Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pricing...if not been mentioned already....£5 a month for standard and super fast broadband...free with BT TV....I have just joined BT TV....GET IN!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pricing...if not been mentioned already....£5 a month for standard and super fast broadband...free with BT TV....I have just joined BT TV....GET IN!!!
    Seemingly no mention of the non-broadband price though (through Sky).
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add long as I still get some free prem footy with broadband that's fine.

Personally wouldn't pay £5 for champs league, given I support a league 1 club. Not bad for broadband subscribers who don't have sky though I suppose.
  • Mr NewshoundMr Newshound Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    Seems to be a TBA - see pricing table at bottom of page... http://btplc.com/news/#/pressreleases/uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-to-be-free-with-bt-tv-1175981
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »

But now all of a sudden

In the newly published illustrated editions of the Fox and the Grapes, Barney Francis is now depicted as the fox, the Champions League rights are the grapes.

It will however be interesting to see the UK viewing figures from next season, as I can only imagine they will be lower, possibly much lower, than they were on a combination of ITV and Sky.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    free with BT TV
    But can we expect an increase in BT TV subs at some point? As it stands, good for me as I only subscribe to get the MotoGP / Superbike racing though happy to watch CL matches that pique my interest (ie not run of the mill group games). Hope they do a decent CL highlights programme of say an hour (or 90 minutes including ads).
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »

"BT Sport Lite Not Available"

As it appears there could you take it that it might mean that you will be able to subscribe to all (ie BT Sport 1, 2, ESPN and Europe including CL/EL) but not the "Lite" on Sky? So it could be 15/16 price, say £19-£20 per month but without a non-CL/EL "Lite" option for less?

This has at least cleared up the FTA access
    BT will make some matches available for everyone to watch, whether a subscriber or not, via a new, free-to-air channel on digital TV. Called BT Sport Showcase, this channel will show a minimum of 12 UEFA Champions League matches and 14 UEFA Europa League matches and these will be available to anyone to watch for free. Each participating British team will be shown at least once.

http://btplc.com/news/#/pressreleases/uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-to-be-free-with-bt-tv-1175981
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    In the newly published illustrated editions of the Fox and the Grapes, Barney Francis is now depicted as the fox, the Champions League rights are the grapes.

It will however be interesting to see the UK viewing figures from next season, as I can only imagine they will be lower, possibly much lower, than they were on a combination of ITV and Sky.

Also interesting that ITVs figures for their coverage particularly the final were very good - think Sky need to ask what they were doing wrong with their coverage....
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but this is all BS. I have had bt through sky since they started. There is no way i will pay extra for this channel. I am hoping bundesliga etc go on this channel so the other channels can concentrate on other sports rather than football
  • AdamBlackpoolAdamBlackpool Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll continue to watch online for free through other means. I can continue Chromecasting BT Sport games for the BPL. As long as that stays, I'm happy (saves me finding a decent stream every few weeks when my team is broadcast on BT).
  • Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, I am a Sky broadband and TV customer and pay for BT Sport. The price as it stands will not change for me?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gray77 wrote: »
    So, I am a Sky broadband and TV customer and pay for BT Sport. The price as it stands will not change for me?
    It will change - I'm in the same boat (except VM broadband) and currently all BT are saying is "price to be announced". I'm going to ring BT later and see if I can talk my way into a deal to take the extra channel on Sky.

It'll likely be at least £5 extra on top of what we're paying for "standard BT Sport".
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An absolute con.

If I want to watch what I did this season and go with BT's phone/broadband/TV for the Champions League, add Sky Sports (just 1 and 2) and Sky Movies it will be just under £90 per month compared to the £70 that I pay with Sky - which also gives me Sky Sports 3,4 and 5!

Great for the consumer this...
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sky customer here, hoping the price is not increased by more than 3 quid.