Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• lewisHlewisH Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met Christopher Timothy last night after a play in Glasgow. He was such a gentleman. Had his photo taken with all who asked, and chatted for ages in such a friendly manner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Have been lucky in that the celebs I have met have been generally OK.

Bruce Forsyth - very friendly and natural
    John Barrowman - lovely, funny and sweet
    Jonathan Pryce - shy, scared-looking but was so sweet to a fan who was ill
    Martine McCutcheon - A 'Princess' , up herself
    Brian Blessed - just as you would imagine, noisy and jolly
    Geoffrey Palmer - just like your Dad, a sweetie.
    Pierce Brosnan - happy and nice
    Dame Judi Dench - friendly and chatty
    Dennis Waterman - brash ands sweary
    Ricky Gervais - smiley and natural

My bro-in-law has worked with:-

Girls Aloud - nice girls but total nightmares when they are together
    McFly - really decent guys who enjoy a laugh
    Dolly Parton- thinks she's the Queen
    ELO - friendly and down-to -earth
    Katherine Jenkins - a lovely person
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting and some of those corroborate other accounts, too. Welcome to DS :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi Folks, new poster, I've been reading this thread with interest and have 'pooled' my celebrity encounters with those of my mum and dad. Mum worked in Immigration in the 1960's and Dad was in the Met Police from 1967-1998.

Mum's

Clint Eastwood - was in UK filming in 1966. Mum said he was gorgeous, polite, very approachable but did wee down the side of a Police Car

Liza Minelli - filming Cabaret. Very chatty but also very ditzy. Mum couldn't stand Michael York though, said he was 'very up himself and aloof'

Lee Marvin - rough as a badger's arse. Got in a strop when someone asked him for an autograph and kept saying 'Jeez you bastards, just f_off' when people approached him

Robert De Niro - smooth, calm, polite and very unstarry

Dustin Hoffman - Mum's favourite with Eastwood. Polite, generous and thanked the tea lady when she brought him a cup of coffee (for which she also got a kiss)

Dad's

Michael Caine - polite, slightly drunk and a bit cheeky
    Sir Trevor Nunn - Lovely, but dad didn't like his wife much.
    Jim Morrison - This wasn't Dad's, it was my uncle and his friend who went to LA in 1967 and met Morrison in The Sunset Strip one night. Said he was 'mad, charming but crazy and dangerously inebriated'
    Jimmy Page - Dad met him at Heathrow in the '70's. Very polite and happy to chat.

Mine

Ron Pickering - Host of '80's kids show 'We are the Champions' - brusque and very keen to get on with filming so, in his words, he could 'wrap it and get out of this dump' (he was at my school for an episode).
    Jimmy Hill - interesting, loves chatting footy, very knowledgeable and polite
    Wayne Sleep - Lovely bloke. Made sure everyone got autographs, despite the woman he had danced with going off on one about being late.
    Ronnie Barker - polite but distant. Met him at an antiques fair and he was clearly not in the mood for recognition.
    John Thaw - Couldn't be bothered. Filming an episode of 'Morse' when I was in Oxford, and, to be fair to him, he was being followed by loads of old people wanting an autograph and chat. Kevin Whately was approachable though, but very quiet.
    Gordon Kaye - Rene in 'Allo 'Allo - smashing bloke. Happy to chat.
    Jamie Oliver - bad tempered and didn't like one girl near me in his restaurant 15 asking after Jools "What the f_ do you care?" he said.
    Harry Enfield - Obviously having a crappy day and was morose. His mate Paul Whitehouse was funny though, and bought me a pint. Top bloke.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonJJ wrote: »
    Hi Folks, new poster, I've been reading this thread with interest and have 'pooled' my celebrity encounters with those of my mum and dad. Mum worked in Immigration in the 1960's and Dad was in the Met Police from 1967-1998.

Mum's

Clint Eastwood - was in UK filming in 1966. Mum said he was gorgeous, polite, very approachable but did wee down the side of a Police Car

Liza Minelli - filming Cabaret. Very chatty but also very ditzy. Mum couldn't stand Michael York though, said he was 'very up himself and aloof'

Lee Marvin - rough as a badger's arse. Got in a strop when someone asked him for an autograph and kept saying 'Jeez you bastards, just f_off' when people approached him

Robert De Niro - smooth, calm, polite and very unstarry

Dustin Hoffman - Mum's favourite with Eastwood. Polite, generous and thanked the tea lady when she brought him a cup of coffee (for which she also got a kiss)

Dad's

Michael Caine - polite, slightly drunk and a bit cheeky
    Sir Trevor Nunn - Lovely, but dad didn't like his wife much.
    Jim Morrison - This wasn't Dad's, it was my uncle and his friend who went to LA in 1967 and met Morrison in The Sunset Strip one night. Said he was 'mad, charming but crazy and dangerously inebriated'
    Jimmy Page - Dad met him at Heathrow in the '70's. Very polite and happy to chat.

Mine

Ron Pickering - Host of '80's kids show 'We are the Champions' - brusque and very keen to get on with filming so, in his words, he could 'wrap it and get out of this dump' (he was at my school for an episode).
    Jimmy Hill - interesting, loves chatting footy, very knowledgeable and polite
    Wayne Sleep - Lovely bloke. Made sure everyone got autographs, despite the woman he had danced with going off on one about being late.
    Ronnie Barker - polite but distant. Met him at an antiques fair and he was clearly not in the mood for recognition.
    John Thaw - Couldn't be bothered. Filming an episode of 'Morse' when I was in Oxford, and, to be fair to him, he was being followed by loads of old people wanting an autograph and chat. Kevin Whately was approachable though, but very quiet.
    Gordon Kaye - Rene in 'Allo 'Allo - smashing bloke. Happy to chat.
    Jamie Oliver - bad tempered and didn't like one girl near me in his restaurant 15 asking after Jools "What the f_ do you care?" he said.
    Harry Enfield - Obviously having a crappy day and was morose. His mate Paul Whitehouse was funny though, and bought me a pint. Top bloke.
    Welcome and good addition to the thread.

Dustin H always struck me as a good guy. Jamie O has an edge to him, despite the jolly geezer image. Okay, the girl asked an asinine question, but there was no need for that retort.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice : Archie from balamory
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »

I'm surprised more p takes aren't made over Balamory when he's on Mock The Week!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dustin H always struck me as a good guy. Jamie O has an edge to him, despite the jolly geezer image. Okay, the girl asked an asinine question, but there was no need for that retort.

A couple of those, Barker & Thaw, from what I've read elsewhere, are understandable.

Isn't Jimmy Hill in the early stages of Altzemiers, I read somewhere?
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »

He was also Nigel in REV
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would be interesting to hear more about his experience with Dolly Parton. Do you have any more details? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I met Alexei Sayle when he was at a local reading thing and offered to sign his novel for people. He was friendly enough and happy to take a photo.

I also met Brian Conley earlier this year. I decided to hang back at the stage door because he's somewhat of a comedy hero of mine. They say never meet your heroes because you'll be disappointed. He turned out to be incredibly nice, happy to chat, so down to earth, and insisted he'd get another photo with me to make sure it turned out alright. Couldn't have been more made up.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    I met Alexei Sayle when he was at a local reading thing and offered to sign his novel for people. He was friendly enough and happy to take a photo.

I also met Brian Conley earlier this year. I decided to hang back at the stage door because he's somewhat of a comedy hero of mine. They say never meet your heroes because you'll be disappointed. He turned out to be incredibly nice, happy to chat, so down to earth, and insisted he'd get another photo with me to make sure it turned out alright. Couldn't have been more made up.

That's nice. I am not particularly a fan of his, a bit too eyes and teeth show biz, and always seems to be auditioning when he is on chat shows, but I can imagine him caring what his fans think of him, and being grateful to have fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin met Alexander Armstrong a couple of weeks back. My cousin has Down Syndrome and thinks he knows people on the TV because he can see them and thinks they know him.
    Alexander was playing an instrument for something and was doing an interview as my cousin walked up to him, he spotted my cousin asked the interview to hold on a moment while he talked to my cousin and took a picture. My aunt said he was a gentleman.
  • rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anymore details? I had heard stories that are slightly different!
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is asking after his wife an "asinine" question? It's common courtesy traditionally, I would've thought. I guess it's a north-south thing, southerners just don't understand we northerner's need to be more open and personable, I guess.

I've only met a couple of famous people. I met the author Helen Cresswell at an appearance at Waterstones book store in Newcastle in about 1993, when I was 10. We went as a class from my primary school, and I wrote a long poem based on her book The Bongleweed, entitled The Bonkersweed! I was too shy to read it out, so a girl called Claire read it out for me instead, on my behalf! She asked me if I wrote it, I said yeah, and she praised me for it, she was impressed! Quite an honour!

I also met Spencer Tunick at The Baltic art centre in Gateshead in 2006-I'd taken part in his nude photoshoot on the Quayside round there the year before,and he was attending the official opening of the exhibition of the photos he took that day-I asked him for an autograph on the back of my picture, he said he couldn't do this as it would set a precedent, and he'd be innundated. He'd already advised he wouldn't do this, but I just wanted to speak to him, and say thanks! "Thank YOU!" He replied, putting his hand on my shoulder, before turing to someone else who also wanted to talk to him, as you can imagine, he was in high demand that day. I also asked him a question at a Q&A did the following day too, but this had to be relayed by a member of staff sitting next to him, as he didn't quite understand what I'd asked him. Then someone else asked him if he ever took part in his own shoots, I remember thiking I was going to ask him that, damn! It was still nice to talk to him, though! Twice!

I have also shaken hands with both Prince Charles and Kate Middleton-sorry, The Duchess Of Cambridge-but they were shaking hands with everyone really, so it doesn't really count as a personal meeting. I've also spoke to some famous people online, too-on here Victor Ebuwa from BB5, and Jenni Trent-Hughes, who was always on BBLB back in the day. Also Aden from BB12. On Twitter, I've also received perosnal respones from Shell (also BB5) and model Nicola Mclean (who, incidentally, has also been on CBB!), but none of these really count as actual meetings with them, either.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    td1983 wrote: »
    I've only met a couple of famous people. I met the author Helen Cresswell at an appearance at Waterstones book store in Newcastle in about 1993, when I was 10. We went as a class from my primary school, and I wrote a long poem based on her book The Bongleweed, entitled The Bonkersweed! I was too shy to read it out, so a girl called Claire read it out for me instead, on my behalf! She asked me if I wrote it, I said yeah, and she praised me for it, she was impressed! Quite an honuur1

Oh yes, I forgot about her! I met her too when I was about the same age, when she came to our school. I think she was a friend of one of the teachers. She said that she had terrible handwriting, and offered £5 to anyone who could read a page of her manuscript. I took up the challenge but got stuck half way down the page. My friend picked up where I left off and read to the bottom of the page. We got £2.50 each! Decades later, I can still remember her enthusiasm for reading and writing, and how she told us that we should write a story every week, to keep our imaginations working. Lovely woman.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep it up guys.

I love love love this thread. :D
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redrose89 wrote: »
    My cousin met Alexander Armstrong a couple of weeks back. My cousin has Down Syndrome and thinks he knows people on the TV because he can see them and thinks they know him.
    Alexander was playing an instrument for something and was doing an interview as my cousin walked up to him, he spotted my cousin asked the interview to hold on a moment while he talked to my cousin and took a picture. My aunt said he was a gentleman.

Ah, I like Alexander so that's good to hear.:)
  • SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    rewind wrote: »
    Anymore details? I had heard stories that are slightly different!

Ricky Gervais was smashing when me and my gf met him a while ago. He was with his partner and kept getting approached for photos etc. He was smiley and chatty even though he was obviously on his day off. He seems to love dogs, he made a real fuss of ours. Nice guy all round I'd say.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met:
    Alistair Magowan- very nice guy, got his dad to take pic of us.
    Gary Mason (ex boxer)- top bloke, chatty and had all the time in the world.
    Chris Eubank- personal hero of mine and was v happy to chat and pose.
    Arsenal squad from a few years ago, Henry, pires, Wiltord, Wenger.

Have a lovely story re Kylie too but not through me, will post it later.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nicest I have met was Chris Martin. I'm a massive Coldplay fan, so it was a relief he was so friendly to me. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redrose89 wrote: »

How absolutely lovely :)
    He seems a nice bloke; glad to read that seems to be the case.
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,826
    Forum Member
    I worked on the final Gavin and Stacey series:

Ruth Jones - Lovely woman. She was quite stressed, being in front and behind the camera. James Corden really wasn't pulling his weight and it seemed she needed his help behind the camera but he was too busy arsing around.

James Corden - Very unprofessional. Playing games on his phone while they were trying to go for a take. Talking on set while others were filming. All in all, a very selfish actor.

Mat Horne - Very quiet but I had a nice 1-on-1 chat with him. He isn't as confident as you would believe.

Joanna Page - very distant, cold and not at all the ditzy character you might expect.

Rob Brydon - I was most excited about meeting him and he didn't disappoint. A real gent who had time for everybody! Lots of funny stories and a very generous actor.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The guy who used to teach me in-line skating taught Hoffman's kids and thought he was a top bloke. I think he met and liked Tom Cruise too - a guy I worked with said Cruise used to make his assistant lunches.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    I worked on the final Gavin and Stacey series:

Ruth Jones - Lovely woman. She was quite stressed, being in front and behind the camera. James Corden really wasn't pulling his weight and it seemed she needed his help behind the camera but he was too busy arsing around.

James Corden - Very unprofessional. Playing games on his phone while they were trying to go for a take. Talking on set while others were filming. All in all, a very selfish actor.

Mat Horne - Very quiet but I had a nice 1-on-1 chat with him. He isn't as confident as you would believe.

Joanna Page - very distant, cold and not at all the ditzy character you might expect.

Rob Brydon - I was most excited about meeting him and he didn't disappoint. A real gent who had time for everybody! Lots of funny stories and a very generous actor.
    Thanks for these - it's a shame to hear about James and Joanna, but delighted about the others. :)