Lady Gaga - G.U.Y Discussion Thread (Merge)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor
    What a pretentious mess is this video :confused:
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    I'm actually really pleasantly surprised. The whole 'rebirth' vibe; the whole fighting back thing quite a la Rihanna's S+M video; the dance scenes like Britney or Madonna-level; the great clean and fresh visuals...

The fact she actually looks happy; not even sexy-hot-desirable but definitely quite badass, she's rocking what she's doing...yes, this video and this song could give her a really strong comeback.

The only thing I didnt like was the length of the credits and MANICURE being used on them; suggesting it won't be a single but sounding a bit like a full-length ad for the album. But otherwise yeah, really good, much stronger than I was expecting and (crucially) should help to PROPEL the song to greater popularity. I don't think any of her music videos since Telephone have done that; instead they've neutralised or dragged certain songs down by being too niche or strange. This is quirky, but still commercial with a story, not-too-weird looks a la Pokerface and Just Dance, dance routines, and pretty people. And cool locations and visuals. Very impressed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    The video is really funny and impressive. Much better than Applause.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    boddism wrote: »
    I thought the beginning bit was as subtle as a rhino in a china shop.
    THe "suits" are literally trampling all over poor Gaga, but never mind cos her devoted fans are there to dunk her in the pool and give her a spiritual rebirth.

I dont see anything particularly high art about that, its got the subtlety of a brick to me.

Yeah I got that bit it's with some people describing the video as art I didn't understand it...
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor
    I really liked the Phoenix intro, how her stuff abandoned her, it was good.

But as soon as Venus started to play it turned into a cheesefest again. The housewives bit, God in the sky, Jacko, Gandhi, Jesus resurrection and the song itself are just tasteless and cringeworthy.

The castle makes a very beautiful background though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    Overall, I'm very impressed.

When I saw that it was 11 minutes long I was like "Gurl NO, you have learned nothing" but it was all very beautiful and luxurious and at no point was I like "ugh hurry up all ready with the song". Or songs plural in this case.

The G.U.Y. portion of the video was contained to one section of the video, so that can be cut out and used for the music channels. I'd like it if she did also but up the short version that just has G.U.Y. but she probably won't do that.

Did Gaga direct? I'm struck by how much she got done in/with the video. The co-ordination of the numerous dance-routines, the different sets, the synchronised swimming. Bravo.

The video itself seemed like something that she would have done earlier in her career or something that Kanye West might do :D

I haven't been afraid to sharply criticise Gaga lately but this video is simply amazing. 10/10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    That was the perfect balance of the "ART" and the "POP" that she loves to use.

I hope this is her back on form.

Agree with the first bit and hope you're right with the second.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    Yeah I got that bit it's with some people describing the video as art I didn't understand it...

Lol I think they think that is art!!
    ( not a good pop vid, which is what it is)
    Gaga fans call ANYTHING she does "art" even if it is pretty bog standards pop music performance. In a sense it IS art, but no more than Katy Perry or Rihanna does. LOL!
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Oooh really good video. It fits in perfectly with Poker face and Paparazzi imo.

There IS a lot going on but when it goes to music video channels, it all gets edited out anyway :D

I loved how Michael Jackson and Princess Diana were in it LOL.

Makes me like 'G.U.Y' (song) more actually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    Also to add, watch this video in the most high quality you can on full screen, it really looks stunning!
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    Great video and Lady Gaga with ankle length blonde hair - swoon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    The video was MUCH better than expected, brilliantly shot and her dancing is really good in this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    poll added
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    It IS good, not earth shattering though.
    Couldve done without 4 mins credits at the end though.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    I have changed my mind; I think the video (at least the G.U.Y. section with the dance routine and the pools) will propel the single to more popularity; which will lead to radio requests and playlisting. I think its a shoe-in for top ten and probably to stick around in the charts for a while; higher if she anchors it with direct promo and live performances (ESPECIALLY performances where she wears a normal-ish outfit and does a dance routine!)

That's what I thinka strength of the video is. Its quirky but not too quirky so as to be offputting; yes there's a long wig and unusual makeup and she's not exactly sexy, but she doesnt look scary either which is a big plus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!
    You just know the Gaga haters of DS will vote poor even if it were a masterpiece :D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Poor
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    You just know the Gaga haters of DS will vote poor even if it were a masterpiece :D

I am not a Gaga hater and i think this is utter crap. The real Housewives stuff? Andy Cohen in the sky? WTF?
    Just stupid.
  • HugoLottHugoLott Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    This one of THE best videos she has ever done! It somehow makes me love the song even more that i already do (G.U.Y is one of my favourites). I literally can't express how much i love this video.^_^
  • Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant!
    OMG, it's bloody fantastic. :D:D:D
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good
    Shocked to see andy cohen and the real housewives of beverly hills in the video,

Lady gaga and lisa vanderpump :blush:
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good video!
    I don't get the "art" part of it... it's a good pop video -which used to be her strong suit, so it's nice to see it back. I think she needs to ditch the pretentious talk & go back to being visually & musically entertaining.

However, the songs that I have heard in the video are not up to some of her earlier work standart, but it's just my opinion.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh. It's not gonna be sent to radio until may.
  • Rams_LordRams_Lord Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Oh. It's not gonna be sent to radio until may.

Who said this?!
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    lol its an absolute amazing video
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    I have changed my mind; I think the video (at least the G.U.Y. section with the dance routine and the pools) will propel the single to more popularity; which will lead to radio requests and playlisting. I think its a shoe-in for top ten and probably to stick around in the charts for a while; higher if she anchors it with direct promo and live performances (ESPECIALLY performances where she wears a normal-ish outfit and does a dance routine!)

That's what I thinka strength of the video is. Its quirky but not too quirky so as to be offputting; yes there's a long wig and unusual makeup and she's not exactly sexy, but she doesnt look scary either which is a big plus.

Yaaas, hopefully the radio may thing isn't true, I want it on the radio right now