Birthdays around Christmas and New Year

Comments

• Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend has her birthday party on NYE - she was born on Jan 1st. It's quite annoying actually, I don't think I'll go to it next year, want to do something else for NYE.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my American friends has her birthday on Jan 8th so I usually end up posting a card between 27th and 31st Dec so that she gets it in time.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    Mines on the 29th. This year I will be working it and then going to my grandparents on the 30th to have a family dinner. My boyfriend is going to take me out for dinner the week after when I have a the weekend off. My usual fall back is a night out raving with a few mates in mid January but as I'm recovering from a broken ankle that's not going to happen this year.

Same as my son - he'll be 20 this year! I have never let him dip out on presents just because it's close to Christmas.

Far from it being a pain, when he was younger he always had very successful birthday parties as people were relieved to get rid of their children for a few hours! The only problem was you could tell they'd bought his presents in the sales (he used to get a lot of annuals which are reduced to 99p!)

He also likes it being in December as he was never in school on his birthday, unlike his brother with a May birthday - he had GCSE and A'Level exams on his birthday!

ETA sorry to hear about your broken ankle.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    My daughter's birthday is 20th December, it's a very special day for her and we keep it totally separate from Christmas. The problem is that many others don't, so she has an official unbirthday on 20th June, we treat her like the queen and, oh boy, does she play on it!! :D
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends child is an Xmas Eve baby, she just has a party in the afternoon. I live quite close but her family are all over the country so not everyone can make it.

Cousin and best friend are both on 28th. Cousin is only 8 though so he tends to have a party in the daytime whereas my friend has drinks in the evening.

They all get separate cards for Crimbo and Birthday BUT I may get one joint pressie, so I'll spend a bit more than I would on a "normal" Birthday pressie if that makes sense?

OH's cousin is 2nd Jan and rarely does anything as everyone is normally too tired and skint to bother which I find sad! Although he's in his 30's and not too fussed about his Birthday.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My birthday is 22nd December and I've always had two lots of presents every year too. Why should we get any fewer?

My daughters is on that day as well and always gets birthday presents separate from her Christmas ones also wrapped in birthday paper with a birthday card.

I think its horrible when people just give the one present and say its for birthday and Christmas ( unless its a extra special gift) and its wrapped in Christmas paper with a Christmas card.. Its like their birthday means nothing :(
    Forum Member
    Friends child is an Xmas Eve baby, she just has a party in the afternoon. I live quite close but her family are all over the country so not everyone can make it.

Cousin and best friend are both on 28th. Cousin is only 8 though so he tends to have a party in the daytime whereas my friend has drinks in the evening.

They all get separate cards for Crimbo and Birthday BUT I may get one joint pressie, so I'll spend a bit more than I would on a "normal" Birthday pressie if that makes sense?

OH's cousin is 2nd Jan and rarely does anything as everyone is normally too tired and skint to bother which I find sad! Although he's in his 30's and not too fussed about his Birthday.

BIB is exactly what you shouldn't do. Most of us have a date that's just for us, the day we were born on, our own special day. We get gifts and there aren't many of us who don't appreciate a thought on our birthday . What you're denying those who were born so close to Christmas is a special "birthday" present. Okay, you spent a bit more on that joint present, but it means nothing when push comes to shove.

If you're born in any month other than December, you're likely to get a birthday present AND a Christmas present.. Those who were unlucky enough to be born in the run up to Christmas lose out, they only get one when the rest of us get two.

Keep birthdays and Christmas separate, don't punish those who had no control over which month they were born in, don't be so idle as to buy a joint birthday/Christmas present just because you couldn't be bothered to separate the two dates.

Just saying, like. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    BIB is exactly what you shouldn't do. Most of us have a date that's just for us, the day we were born on, our own special day. We get gifts and there aren't many of us who don't appreciate a thought on our birthday . What you're denying those who were born so close to Christmas is a special "birthday" present. Okay, you spent a bit more on that joint present, but it means nothing when push comes to shove.

If you're born in any month other than December, you're likely to get a birthday present AND a Christmas present.. Those who were unlucky enough to be born in the run up to Christmas lose out, they only get one when the rest of us get two.

Keep birthdays and Christmas separate, don't punish those who had no control over which month they were born in, don't be so idle as to buy a joint birthday/Christmas present just because you couldn't be bothered to separate the two dates.

Just saying, like. ;)

Surely people should just be grateful to recieve any pressie?? :o

As I say if I do buy a gift I tend to buy something a bit more expensive than I would for say my nephew born in March??
    Forum Member
    Surely people should just be grateful to recieve any pressie?? :o

As I say if I do buy a gift I tend to buy something a bit more expensive than I would for say my nephew born in March??

Okay, let me put it another way. When your birthday comes around, you'll receive no birthday presents on your special day, you'll have to wait until Christmas because your day isn't that important.

Being grateful doesn't come into it, aren't most people grateful for gifts received? It's not the cost, it's the thought that counts, but giving a gift for both birthday and Christmas combined doesn't indicate much thought, just laziness or disregard for a person's once a year day. Put YOURSELF in their place, I doubt that you'd appreciate it very much if you didn't have a birthday because others just couldn't be bothered, because it was easier to kill to birds with one stone.

Idleness and lack of thought about others. Birthdays and Christmas are two different events in a person's life, don't deny anyone their birthday, as you seem to be doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, let me put it another way. When your birthday comes around, you'll receive no birthday presents on your special day, you'll have to wait until Christmas because your day isn't that important.

Being grateful doesn't come into it, aren't most people grateful for gifts received? It's not the cost, it's the thought that counts, but giving a gift for both birthday and Christmas combined doesn't indicate much thought, just laziness or disregard for a person's once a year day. Put YOURSELF in their place, I doubt that you'd appreciate it very much if you didn't have a birthday because others just couldn't be bothered, because it was easier to kill to birds with one stone.

Idleness and lack of thought about others. Birthdays and Christmas are two different events in a person's life, don't deny anyone their birthday, as you seem to be doing.

I do not expect a gift from anyone on my Birthday (or at Christmas). I actually find thought of people feeling obligated to buy me a gift quite sad.

I understand with kids of a certain age will be disappointed with a combined gift BUT adults shouldn't and really young kids won't know??

Getting a gift for Christmas / your birthday isn't a God given right and if I had a child born close to Christmas I'd be telling them from an early age to expect combined pressies.

People aren't made of money and people usually have to give lots of gifts to lots of people at this time of year.
    Forum Member
    I do not expect a gift from anyone on my Birthday (or at Christmas). I actually find thought of people feeling obligated to buy me a gift quite sad.

I understand with kids of a certain age will be disappointed with a combined gift BUT adults shouldn't??

Who is talking about adults?

You were the one talking about an eight year old child.

An eight year old child who goes to school, sees his fellow classmates throughout the year who have a birthday, hears about the cards and presents they've received and has probably been to their parties and seen for him/herself. Sad that the poor eight year old in your family only has Christmas to look forward to as far as you're concerned, no birthday like the rest of his/her classmates and friends and why? Because people like you just can't be bothered to separate the two celebrations and who's the loser? The poor kiddie who doesn't actually have a birthday of their own, it has to be shared. It's pathetic, it's selfish on your part because you actually can't be bothered, it's all down to you and your lack of sensitivity or your downright idleness to think of two separate gifts. An eight year old child? What are you thinking? :eek:
    Forum Member

I understand with kids of a certain age will be disappointed with a combined gift BUT adults shouldn't and really young kids won't know??

Getting a gift for Christmas / your birthday isn't a God given right and if I had a child born close to Christmas I'd be telling them from an early age to expect combined pressies.

People aren't made of money and people usually have to give lots of gifts to lots of people at this time of year

The cost, to a kiddie, is irrelevant, it's the present to be unwrapped that's the exciting part, that you've given that child a thought on their birthday.

I truly believe that I'm flogging a dead horse as far as you're concerned. Christmas and birthday are two separate occasions, if you can't get that through your head then I feel sorry for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is talking about adults?

You were the one talking about an eight year old child.

An eight year old child who goes to school, sees his fellow classmates throughout the year who have a birthday, hears about the cards and presents they've received and has probably been to their parties and seen for him/herself. Sad that the poor eight year old in your family only has Christmas to look forward to as far as you're concerned, no birthday like the rest of his/her classmates and friends and why? Because people like you just can't be bothered to separate the two celebrations and who's the loser? The poor kiddie who doesn't actually have a birthday of their own, it has to be shared. It's pathetic, it's selfish on your part because you actually can't be bothered, it's all down to you and your lack of sensitivity or your downright idleness to think of two separate gifts. An eight year old child? What are you thinking? :eek:
    The cost, to a kiddie, is irrelevant, it's the present to be unwrapped that's the exciting part, that you've given that child a thought on their birthday.

I truly believe that I'm flogging a dead horse as far as you're concerned. Christmas and birthday are two separate occasions, if you can't get that through your head then I feel sorry for you.

Urm I also mentioned my friend (adult) and OH's cousin (adult). Friends LO [born on Xmas Eve is just 2 years old]

My 8 year old cousin sometimes doesn't even get a pressie, - he got money this year. £20 for Crimbo and £20 for Birthday.

That way his Mum can take him out and let him pick something he wants (or she can put it in his savings account)

Of course that isn't going to be "good enough" either?

Luckily my aunt and my cousin do not share the view that he is entitled to two pressies from everyone!!
    Forum Member
    Urm I also mentioned my friend (adult) and OH's cousin (adult). Friends LO [born on Xmas Eve is just 2 years old]

My 8 year old cousin sometimes doesn't even get a pressie, - he got money this year. £20 for Crimbo and £20 for Birthday.

That way his Mum can take him out and let him pick something he wants (or she can put it in his savings account)

Of course that isn't going to be "good enough" either?

Luckily my aunt and my cousin do not share the view that he is entitled to two pressies from everyone!!

I can only think that you've forgotten what it felt like to be a child or that you have no children of your own who were born over the Christmas period. Whichever is the case, you lack thought and consideration. Money is such an easy option and a lazy one, too. Still no birthday present for the eight year old on his once-a-year day. What's this expensive present that you bought for him? ;)
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My birthday is 22nd December and I've always had two lots of presents every year too. Why should we get any fewer?

My eldest Sons birthday is the 19th Dec ,he always had presents and parties as a child on his birthday too ,and then different Christmas presents ,he never had combined presents ,and still doesnt now he's 30
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tarotangel wrote: »
    Yeah, a lot of them can't afford to in out in January, and I've had my actual birthday, so I don't think it matters too much about when we get together.
    It's mine tomorrow and I'd love one year to do something more than go to the pub, but everyone is always so skint.
    I don't see why your mates can't put money aside for your day? It's not as if it's a surprise that sprung on them, it's there every year! :)
    Takae wrote: »
    ... Oomisoka, a week-long New Year's Eve event. From 27/28 Dec to 2 Jan with a focus on 31 Dec and 1 Jan.
    Admittedly I do like the sound of that... it's a bit of a come down for me from the big day when I've still got a load of the Christmas spirit in me! ;)

I've got three birthdays in the family in December, none of them are forgotten or conjoined into one celebration; we've kept them completely separated and they get separated present as would any other person would do if their birthday is not in December. It's not hard to do.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our son's birthday is 28th Dec. When he was little we always made sure he got two separate presents for Christmas and Birthday, and told all our family to make sure he had a separate birthday present and card, coincidentaly his cousin's birthday is the same day. Christmas children should get 2 separate presents and not be told this is for Christmas and birthday.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a December baby I can totally understand the thing about joint presents. Both mine and my cousins are on the 29th, and I used to hate it as a kid getting one joint present for both xmas and bday from relatives, my mum was sometimes very clear to relatives that as she took the time to buy presents for their children on both xmas and their birthdays, it should be no different because I'm near xmas.

Now as an adult I don't mind as much, most of my relatives are good that they'll give me my birthday card (usually with money) to me at xmas for me to open on my birthday which I dont mind.

Only thing as a kid that used to bother me was that a lot of my friends were away for xmas and so it was difficult having a party. I would probably rather have my birthday another time of year but one good thing is I always off school!
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Stargirl90 wrote: »
    As a December baby I can totally understand the thing about joint presents. Both mine and my cousins are on the 29th, and I used to hate it as a kid getting one joint present for both xmas and bday from relatives, my mum was sometimes very clear to relatives that as she took the time to buy presents for their children on both xmas and their birthdays, it should be no different because I'm near xmas.
    Now as an adult I don't mind as much, most of my relatives are good that they'll give me my birthday card (usually with money) to me at xmas for me to open on my birthday which I dont mind.

Only thing as a kid that used to bother me was that a lot of my friends were away for xmas and so it was difficult having a party. I would probably rather have my birthday another time of year but one good thing is I always off school!

one christmas someone tried to give my child his late birthday present but I said 'no his birthday is separate'
    both he and my OH are december bdays, and they both just say they know no different - my son enjoys 'present month' and they both have separate birthday and christmas presents.

and every december i am totally stony skint
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    one christmas someone tried to give my child his late birthday present but I said 'no his birthday is separate'
    both he and my OH are december bdays, and they both just say they know no different - my son enjoys 'present month' and they both have separate birthday and christmas presents.

I totally agree they should be seperate whatever time of year your birthday is. People wouldn't dare say to someone whose birthday was in June, "Oh you'll get your joint present at xmas". In my mind it shows a lack of thought about someone.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

I asked my son once of he minded having a birthday so close to Christmas and he said he liked having all his presents at once - it's funny isn't it as you would expect them to prefer them spread out over the year!
    But then again he's never known any different....

It reminds me though, when he was about 2.5 and it was his older brother's birthday, he kept asking "Where's the tree, mummy?" and it took me a while to realise that there was always a (Christmas) tree up for his birthday and he expected the same for his brother :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    You should have it during Up Helly Aa, celebrate them both:)

Whats Up Helly aa? Im Scottish obviously but havent heard of this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only think that you've forgotten what it felt like to be a child or that you have no children of your own who were born over the Christmas period. Whichever is the case, you lack thought and consideration. Money is such an easy option and a lazy one, too. Still no birthday present for the eight year old on his once-a-year day. What's this expensive present that you bought for him? ;)

Its horrible when they get combined presents When do you open them? On your birthday and have half the Christmas presents of everyone else or at Christmas and have only a couple of things for your birthday I am very surprised that some people cant see this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I asked my son once of he minded having a birthday so close to Christmas and he said he liked having all his presents at once - it's funny isn't it as you would expect them to prefer them spread out over the year!
    But then again he's never known any different....

It reminds me though, when he was about 2.5 and it was his older brother's birthday, he kept asking "Where's the tree, mummy?" and it took me a while to realise that there was always a (Christmas) tree up for his birthday and he expected the same for his brother :D

My daughter always thought everyone celebrated her birthday with tree and lights awww
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    My birthday is the 20th dec and I've never done anything to celebrate it..when a child it was always too close to Christmas and as an adult and a mum it's too close to Christmas :)
    my wedding anniversary is on the 5th jan and we used to go to the cinema years ago but don't bother with it now..a card and a gift and that's it and this year it's just going to be a card..it will be 23 years though