Is anyone else unable to get Crystal Palace com7 mux?

fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Because I get London Live OK here its 50% signal most the time on my Sony 42706 TV.
The channel BBC News HD does come up in my EPG but never works apart from once.
All the other muxs are at 90% or more for me.
A bit annoying Com 7 is so weak compared to London Live on channel 8.
Is there any chance they may be a power boast at all or the mux to be added to Sudbury?

Comments

• Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine there are lots of people who can't get it because they are outside of its service area.

It will not get a power boost - it is a temporary mux using recycled equipment. You can get London Live because although it is low power it uses a much more rugged transmission mode (although it results in that mux having a very low capacity).

Clacton is outside of the normal Crystal Palace coverage area - your best main transmitter is Sudbury which doesn't, and will never get COM7. I know that a lot of people in Essex prefer London TV, but it's not intended to cover your location.

Your only other possible option is to try Bluebell Hill (depending on your location) but to be frank I don't think it's worth the money trying - it would be better spent on a Freesat system if you really want these channels in HD.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see I thought I would have better chance getting com 7 as it shows 43,100W.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Clacton Post Office predictions: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/CO15+4BS/17/0/jqfjpbt4hmsbuop8reuli1mj31

suggest that CP isn't impossible but will be subject to interference from other transmitters for a fair bit of time. Location of course is key (along with quality antenna at good height etc.,.) so do check your home's predictions.

L-LON although only 20kW erp ( -10dB cf BBC A etc.,.) uses a more robust QPSK modulation and as a result may be receivable (as Colin has already explained).

COM7 is some -7dB on the main muxes but also 'top channel' now for the site (was BBC TWO analogue always a bit more noisy??)... so it will be received a tad weaker (higher frequencies do get attenuated more by distance than lower one) ... and if aerial droop with higher frequency is an issue, together with cable losses with frequency - it all adds up to making it more difficult to pull in ... TBH in all likelihood it will be other COM7 transmitters (Belmont, Hannington, Sutton Coldfield etc.,.) that are the interferers in this case as much as anything else.

A minor aerial adjustment (of height or crabbing sideways / fore aft) might make a difference if there are some standing wave type issues with reception at that frequency?

The extra HD C4+1 and 4 Seven are NOT available on satellite of course... but may not be considered a great big loss anyway. ;)