Options

Character Assassination of Jefferies

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Release of LL stated on other thread isn't confirmed by other sources.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    I heard it on another forum, but I think it might have been misunderstood. Apparently they have until Monday morning to charge him, release him on bail or release him without further investigation.

I get the impression that the police don't currently have enough concrete evidence to charge him...yet, but obviously need more time to get that evidence. The trouble is that everyone has latched onto this Jefferies chap now. I am truly not sure about him.

At the very worst the man has done something awful, but at the very least he is now branded as being 'weird' enough to be suspect of doing something awful. He doesn't even strike me as the kind of man, like Ian Huntley who went out of his way to divert suspicion by getting actively involved in a body search or search for evidence. This man simply made a vague statement to the police about seeing the victim with two other people and even that seems to have been misconstrued.
  • Options
    FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are looking for new 'quirks' to fill the NOTW's 'news' pages.:yawn:
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    nessa456 wrote: »
    LL has been released on bail without charge according to the other thread.

Wow, how did you know so early?? :confused:
  • Options
    4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone not interested in trawling through the other thread for confirmation:

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/LocalPages/NewsDetails.aspx?nsid=22383&t=1&lid=1

I hope this sparks some serious debate in the medias treatment of suspects in high profile cases.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon40 wrote: »
    Sorry but when i first saw him on tv i said he did it!
    Seems like i was right.

Just look at the guys eyes - he is a guilty as hell.

He is being charged later tonight, so i'm affraid you are wrong.
    Why are you standing up for this guy?
    Are you related?:p

Ooops
  • Options
    CharlieChanCharlieChan Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate to say I told you so but I did didn't I?:D

The thread is quiet. Why, it's almost as if the malicious and the gullible have fled now that the victim of their witchhunt has been released.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, because it's all in the eyes isn't it? In which case they should call my ex in, he has the wildest eyes I have ever seen. He also has the gentlest nature. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

The thread is quiet. Why, it's almost as if the malicious and the gullible have fled now that the victim of their witchhunt has been released.;)

This case is causing a furore all by itself. Now we await the tsumani of recriminations and accusations.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dunno about anyone else, but I've not posted because I've been watching a movie. And I've ALWAYS thought the media treatment of the guy was disgusting- as have, I'll think you'll find, MOST people in this thread. You want the malicious and gullible, look at the thread on the case. This one's not really what you're after.

Go back and read my posts, and most other people's. I think you'll find we're not QUITE the people you thought we were. But... y'know, jumping to conclusions an' all...

I think what you've done there is to confuse "people who think anyone arrested who isn't guilty doesn't necessarily deserve compensation" with "people who think anyone funny-looking is clearly guilty".

So far, it looks like it's only the latter with egg on their face, if anyone. And they weren't really out in force on this thread, what with its whole raison d'etre being to debunk that stereotype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CharlieChan is quiet. Why, it's almost as if he's missed the point of this entire thread, isn't it?

Now, it's gonna be great to see how the tabloids spin THIS development, isn't it?

Except it isn't. Because they'll conveniently forget that they effectively ruined this dude's life. Unless he's called back, in which case they'll be all "WE TOLD YOU SO!" Except that probably won't happen, so... they'll just be a bit quiet about it.

Well done, tabloids!
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Hells teeth you've got tickets on yourself haven't you.
    I've been off watching Father Ted, not that I had a lot to contribute that hadn't been said already.

Oh hang on see Stoatie's post, pretty much covers it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jezebeth wrote: »
    This case is causing a furore all by itself. Now we await the tsumani of recriminations and accusations.

Surely what we REALLY await is the finding of the murderer? That's gotta be more important than the other stuff right now, hasn't it? All that shit's for later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    To all intents and purposes this guy is a good guy and once again I find myself disgusted at the media's assassination of some person.

To me he sounds like a dedicated teacher, eccentric, ---yes, a bit, gregarious, theatrical but not a murderer.

The more I read the more it comes across as the police not making a lot of headway and so going for a soft option, to keep the media dogs and the public ones for that matter at bay.

The heart ache they are causing the parents with this ploy.

So what if his hair is blue or purple or whatever, so what if he knew/knows a pedophile, we all do, so what if he use to throw chalk at pupils heads, sounds like an old fashion teacher to me.

This man might be a little bit of a attention seeker, so what, that doesn't give the police not the media the right to haul him up and over for public scrutiny, to hang him out to dry because he is a little odd, who should we be to judge.

The police may charge him with a crime but it won't be for murder, dig deep, they may find something,----so it won't be a complete waste of time.

IMO, who did it?--- the keys left in the flat,---- a knock on the door, a random killing.

I agree with your bit about the character assassination of the land lord, however its only been a week since the poor girl's body was found, you can't expect murder cases to be solved just like that. If only it were that easy.

It seems members of the public are obsessed with this case and I find it very disturbing some of the comments on here.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyJK wrote: »
    I agree with your bit about the character assassination of the land lord, however its only been a week since the poor girl's body was found, you can't expect murder cases to be solved just like that. If only it were that easy.

It seems members of the public are obsessed with this case and I find it very disturbing some of the comments on here.

Hi,

I'm not sure where in my OP you got the idea I thought/expect murder cases to be solved just like that.

The media are responsible alone for the hatchet job on this man, not the police.

I do raise the question however as to why the police thought Jeffries was a reasonable suspect to haul in and detain in the first instance?

Because statements he may have made varied but is that reasonable suspicion, being different, surely not?

I mean in such cases, with such characters, shoot first ask questions under lock and key,---I ask,---is that reasonable?

I suspect the family/friends of murder victims would think so,---their grief, their need for answers.

The parents, family, their lives changed forever, does one more life potentially ruined, on that heap of grief and sorrow, did/does it matter?

As they say, you can't make an omelet without
    but reasoned suspicion,
    anything other can always be made to look reasonable and that is not good enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am now assuming CharlieChan really DOESN'T give a sh1t about either the dead girl, the hypocrisy of the press, or the opinions of those he pretends to engage in conversation.

Anyone else up for carrying on the conversation we were all having before he showed up?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I am now assuming CharlieChan really DOESN'T give a sh1t about either the dead girl, the hypocrisy of the press, or the opinions of those he pretends to engage in conversation.

Anyone else up for carrying on the conversation we were all having before he showed up?

I'm watching Kung Fu Panda thanks :)
  • Options
    mickbirch2000mickbirch2000 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a bad feeling about this case days ago when Jefferies was 1st arrested & said to the wife: I hope the police have some sort of proof against him.
    Now it seems his only crime was being an eccentric & in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    The more I hear I tend to think this was an opprtunist who may never be caught.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has been released on police bail, so enquiries are continuing. The only thing we can say for definite about this case is that the poor girl is dead. Anything else is third-hand suppositions, rumour and tittle tattle. Best leave it to the police, because the amateur sleuthing on this forum has reached a farcical level.

I reckon that the media discussion, disgusting Facebook comments and forum speculation mean that any fair trial of any suspect could now actually prove impossible. How awful would that be?
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is keystone cops a term only reserved for the Portuguese police?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought the media should not be allowed to name any suspects until they are found guilty, because it literally ruins peoples' lives. There will always be people who 'know for sure' someone is guilty, the minute they see them on the news, because 'you can just tell' ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought the media should not be allowed to name any suspects until they are found guilty, because it literally ruins peoples' lives. There will always be people who 'know for sure' someone is guilty, the minute they see them on the news, because 'you can just tell' ...

I completely agree.

It actually beggars belief that they are allowed to do this and risk jeopardizing someone's chance of a fair trial. We desperately need to rein in our disgusting gutter press in this country. They've been totally out of control for far too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I completely agree.

It actually beggars belief that they are allowed to do this and risk jeopardizing someone's chance of a fair trial. We desperately need to rein in our disgusting gutter press in this country. They've been totally out of control for far too long.

I think the Attorney General should have stepped in sooner, to be honest, though he is to be applauded for stepping in at all. I'm all for freedom of the press, but the PCC's punishments are so ineffective that many sections of the media seem to forget that with that freedom comes responsibility. If any action's taken in this case, nobody's gonna suffer anything that they won't have laughed off a couple of weeks later. Absolutely disgraceful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Today's press is the equivalent of yesterday's stocks. Both provide the desired results for the baying mob waiting to lynch the accused, no matter how tenuous the motive or evidence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    the PCC's punishments are so ineffective that many sections of the media seem to forget that with that freedom comes responsibility. If any action's taken in this case, nobody's gonna suffer anything that they won't have laughed off a couple of weeks later. Absolutely disgraceful.

It makes my blood boil to know they will basically get away scott free, laughing in everyone's faces all the while. :mad: