Options

Radio silence: Alexandra Burke's new single snubbed by national broadcasters'

Comments

• Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Let it Go is soooo commercial sounding to me. I definitely think there's something more sinister going on than radio simply not liking it.

It's sad that her first album went multi-platinum but this one looks like it's going to struggle to go triple polystyrene.
  • Options
    Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    Let it Go is soooo commercial sounding to me. I definitely think there's something more sinister going on than radio simply not liking it.

It's sad that her first album went multi-platinum but this one looks like it's going to struggle to go triple polystyrene.

Lol :p
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    But the point is posters are giving Simon Cowell a lot more power with the radio stations than I think he has. When Capital banned 1D I am damm sure he or management were trying to sort it out but they didn't budge and it took three months before they were put back on the play list. Surely if he was so all powerful it would have been sorted sooner.

He also couldn't get Joe much radio play when he was signed to him so if he can't get acts he wants played then surely it would work the other way and he can't stop acts from being played.

ETA correct me if I am wrong but isn't her management still part of syco so then of course they want her to be a success as it is money for them. Really think some Alex obsessed posters need to look at the bigger picture

To be honest re Joe, I don't think Simon cared if radio played his songs or not. I think he was just bidding his time until he could drop him. He was more interested in olly murs.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    To be honest re Joe, I don't think Simon cared if radio played his songs or not. I think he was just bidding his time until he could drop him. He was more interested in olly murs.

Yep. He always cared about Olly.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely you can See that this is not the same.go Alex left syco to another label. Rebecca and Matt were always signed.to other labels from the start. I do think that Simon is being spiteful because she left his label.

She moved to RCA under his agreement. If she was annoying him and he wanted to kill her career he could have kept her at Syco and just sat on the album forever or thrown it out on no budget. Sony wouldn't argue if he wanted to do that so long as he keeps the money rolling in. But I imagine they'd be a bit more put out if he transfered her to one of their frontline labels only to deliberately screw up the album release.

She wasn't going to get R1 play anyway. As for Capital, it's possible that Syco have better connections there that helped her get airplay when she was with them although we don't know that for sure. But regardless, they plainly don't have that much clout with the station - if they wanted a favour in the past few months it would have been to start playing 1D again, not ignore Alexandra Burke!

I don't think the parting was half as acrimonious as some fans want to believe. If she seriously pi*sed them off they'd not have had her on X Factor. Someone, somewhere would have done it. And they went with 3 judges in the past so they didn't need a replacement anyway. His top PR was even tweeting download links for LIG earlier in the week.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

of course he was and he was right to do so. even after 3 album releases joe has still not sold anywhere near as many albums as olly`s début album alone.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    of course he was and he was right to do so. even after 3 album releases joe has still not sold anywhere near as many albums as olly`s début album alone.

But one had the money put behind him and the other didn't. Not exactly the same. Joe could've been bigger but they didn't even try.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, but how many of those albums of Olly's are languishing on a shelf somewhere? I know I listen to Joe's Classic album every day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Ah, but how many of those albums of Olly's are languishing on a shelf somewhere? I know I listen to Joe's Classic album every day!

maybe so, although i would imagine those shelves are also home to a copy of his second album which also went double platinum. also i might add in response to other comments, that money invested in different artists is irrelevant. if an artist is marketable then they will succeed whatever the investment. besides, no one is privy to syco`s books, so all speculation is purely based on assumption.

assuming syco did nothing to promote joe, decca certainly did. joe has won two singing competitions and his second album was rush released to capitalise on his second win. now surely one would assume he would have caught up with olly`s début album`s sales after such hype, but he does not come close even adding all his album sales together. so that is why i truly believe that sony were right to be more interested in olly.

alex has proved she is marketable. however, the promotion and material does not hold up to her previous efforts. that is where i think it has gone wrong for her this time around.
  • Options
    LancashireLass2LancashireLass2 Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When some artists have never ending hype, are played on the radio every hour if not more, have the benefit of hosting a top weekly television show for months, etc etc. then it's never going to be a level playing field for other artists who don't get the same. I'm interested to know how one company is allowed to own so many commercial radio stations in the country. :confused:
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    She moved to RCA under his agreement. If she was annoying him and he wanted to kill her career he could have kept her at Syco and just sat on the album forever or thrown it out on no budget. Sony wouldn't argue if he wanted to do that so long as he keeps the money rolling in. But I imagine they'd be a bit more put out if he transfered her to one of their frontline labels only to deliberately screw up the album release.

She wasn't going to get R1 play anyway. As for Capital, it's possible that Syco have better connections there that helped her get airplay when she was with them although we don't know that for sure. But regardless, they plainly don't have that much clout with the station - if they wanted a favour in the past few months it would have been to start playing 1D again, not ignore Alexandra Burke!

I don't think the parting was half as acrimonious as some fans want to believe. If she seriously pi*sed them off they'd not have had her on X Factor. Someone, somewhere would have done it. And they went with 3 judges in the past so they didn't need a replacement anyway. His top PR was even tweeting download links for LIG earlier in the week.

>THIS !
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »

Well that is because you are a die hard fan and that is what die hard fans do :D

I have Olly's album and I was surprised how good it is. It is just pure fun pop. Of course I don't play it every day but then neither do I play Ed Sheeran, 1D, Bruno Mars or Adele or any of the other hundreds of CD's from my collection but the bottom line is I bought them and added to the sales figures
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is though that there are loads of good artists out there with good albums but if they don't get heard they won't sell. :(

So their sales figures would look poor and indicate that no one was interested but the truth may be that loads of people would find it surprisingly good and buy it if they could hear it in the first place.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

Totally agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is though that there are loads of good artists out there with good albums but if they don't get heard they won't sell. :(

So their sales figures would look poor and indicate that no one was interested but the truth may be that loads of people would find it surprisingly good and buy it if they could hear it in the first place.

So many artists have launched their careers by posting their music on youtube. If it's very good people will pick it up and spread the word.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    But one had the money put behind him and the other didn't. Not exactly the same. Joe could've been bigger but they didn't even try.

I'm not a fan of either of them but looking in from the sidelines I would say Cowell realised early on that Olly was a far more commercial prospect than Joe and as he is really most interested in making a fast buck threw Joe under the bus and backed Olly

Olly is currently doing better career and sales wise but his commercial career like many others will probably fade in time and he will disappear

On the other hand Joe has now found his niche and settled into middle of the road music is doing fine and, albeit he will probably never bother the charts again, could go on for years as MOR music isn't affected by the ups and downs and trends of the charts. Therefore long term he could be far more successful and sell more records than Olly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know how true that is. Looking back Olly was the more commercial and he brought Ska back to the charts, but at the time Joe had this whole High School Musical/Glee vibe that was very 'in'. Joe was no Brookstein/Jackson that he would be itching to drop asap. The writing was on the wall when the album failed and, most importantly, Somebody Wake Me Up (which inc.his theme to a the Nania film on the flip). The whole kerfuffle about his coming out ("I'm gay!" "I'm not gay!" "I'm gay again!") did not help matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt very many people knew that Joe had recorded the theme to a major block buster film because it was never played or marketed properly. :( Which brings us back to the topic of radio play or lack of it for artists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of either of them but looking in from the sidelines I would say Cowell realised early on that Olly was a far more commercial prospect than Joe and as he is really most interested in making a fast buck threw Joe under the bus and backed Olly

Olly is currently doing better career and sales wise but his commercial career like many others will probably fade in time and he will disappear

On the other hand Joe has now found his niche and settled into middle of the road music is doing fine and, albeit he will probably never bother the charts again, could go on for years as MOR music isn't affected by the ups and downs and trends of the charts. Therefore long term he could be far more successful and sell more records than Olly

that is a possibility, but then almost anything is possible. there is a lot of uncertainty with this business and the wise would be prudent to ensure a back up plan is in place. in olly`s case a tv career is not beyond the realms of possibility and his continued exposure within that side of the business could continue to support his music career.

olly has the broader appeal, not only have music executives seen that potential, but tv executives have no doubt seen that potential too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »

On the other hand Joe has now found his niche and settled into middle of the road music is doing fine and, albeit he will probably never bother the charts again, could go on for years as MOR music isn't affected by the ups and downs and trends of the charts.

Therefore long term he could be far more successful and sell more records than Olly.[/QUOTE]

I think this could turn out to be the case actually. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure of the reasons behind Will Young being ignored, and I'm equally as puzzled as to the reason why Radio 1 and Capital and Heart FM has decided to blacklist her singles.

It is wrong to assume it is because of her personality, because, that bares no reflection on anything. There are many obnoxious artistis in our charts at the moment. Madonna from day one has never been a nice person to know, yet she has always been A Listed. Elephant went to no 3 in the singles charts and no 1 on the dance chart with virtually no airplay had it been A Listed it would have got to no 1.

It would appear the hype that Alexandra is disliked is just that hype and of course the haters jump on the bandwagon, outside of the internet, Alexandra is well received.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    But the point is posters are giving Simon Cowell a lot more power with the radio stations than I think he has. When Capital banned 1D I am damm sure he or management were trying to sort it out but they didn't budge and it took three months before they were put back on the play list. Surely if he was so all powerful it would have been sorted sooner.

He also couldn't get Joe much radio play when he was signed to him so if he can't get acts he wants played then surely it would work the other way and he can't stop acts from being played.

ETA correct me if I am wrong but isn't her management still part of syco so then of course they want her to be a success as it is money for them. Really think some Alex obsessed posters need to look at the bigger picture

The fans are looking at the bigger picture. The problem is who is directly to blame. If you have an artist who so far has been successful even with only 70% promos, and everyone including the radio stations know this, it should automatically make them an A List candidate. The new album has been well received yet promos for it is around 60% and the 2 singles from the album not even C listed. Who do you point the finger at? The singles are a lot better then some of the stuff in the top ten right now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fans are looking at the bigger picture. The problem is who is directly to blame. If you have an artist who so far has been successful even with only 70% promos, and everyone including the radio stations know this, it should automatically make them an A List candidate. The new album has been well received yet promos for it is around 60% and the 2 singles from the album not even C listed. Who do you point the finger at? The singles are a lot better then some of the stuff in the top ten right now

Her record label, RCA it's their job to promote her music.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    Her record label, RCA it's their job to promote her music.

Actually I'd send more of the blame to her diabolical manager. She is the one who is supposed to be securing all the promo and she flopped hard. And as a result Alexandra has ended up with zero promo for this album. Her management team are a trainwreck and most of the reason why this era was a disaster....

This radio snub could easily have been countered by strong promotion on The Voice/BGT and other shows, but they failed to secure a single slot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another girl who won three years later? If he did then that is very shoddy work and he should be hauled over the coals for it.

Why hasn't she sued if it isn't true? Why has the book not been recalled? I'm not up to date on defamation law but the implications of saying a contestant was pregnant (who now doesn't have child in tow) must be pretty major if she wasn't?

I find it bizarre she was even named, was it really in Cowell's or Bowers interest to shame her like this?