Options

Has there ever been a TV Show about... Driving Lessons?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
Forum Member
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if there has ever been any TV Show in the UK that has revolved around a driving instructor and students from hell? Because I think something like that would make a great TV show and offer something new and fresh instead of all the same celebrity driven shows that dominate TV at the moment.

I have filmed a six driving lessons with a friend, and everyone that has seen them have said how great it would be if there was something like that on TV. Please check them out on youtube and let me know your feedback! Thank You! :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL42EF519F3206C168

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was "Driving School" years ago. It was rubbish!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_School
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    "Driving School" with the famous Maureen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_School

Edit: beaten to it... and yeah, it was rubbish.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maureen was probably one of the very first "celebrities" to emerge from a reality show. My whole family used to love watching her get it all wrong!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    Maureen was probably one of the very first "celebrities" to emerge from a reality show. My whole family used to love watching her get it all wrong!

She was. Maureen blazed a trail really, though peoples opinions may differ as to whether the end result is actually welcome.
    Good show though, and Maureen was a laugh.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also Muslim Driving School
  • Options
    GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was that other one on last year on BBC3 i think, where they looked at crap drivers and put them with instructors to try and sort out their issues. Was piss poor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah I think I can remember that driving school now! 1997!? I think It would be good if something similar was made for TV today! Here's a video of all of the best bits of my driving lesson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MbDNz1HOB4&feature=plcp
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »

She was class, I remember watching the show as a kid
  • Options
    Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only TV show I could think of about driving lessons was 'Learners' starring David Tennant.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello. wrote: »
    The only TV show I could think of about driving lessons was 'Learners' starring David Tennant.

Yep I remember that, I think it was a one off comedy/drama.

Not sure if the OP is looking for reality based shows or fictional. The two most remembered have already been mentioned; Driving School with Maureen and Muslim Driving School which I think aired in 2011.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gibman wrote: »
    there was that other one on last year on BBC3 i think, where they looked at crap drivers and put them with instructors to try and sort out their issues. Was piss poor.

It was on Channel 5 called Dangerous Driver's School. I was watching it because I was still learning to drive at that point, and thought it'd be interesting. It was for me then.
  • Options
    stevenjwstevenjw Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    There was also the rubbish L for Lester, which stared Brian Murphy of (George & Mildred) fame. It only ran for 6 episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah thanks for all of the help guys!
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also wasn't there a comic relief show for celebs to learn how to drive? Paul Ogrady was on it, 2000ish time?
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learners was a dud too.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    also Muslim Driving School

I'm actually having lessons from Lynne right now :)
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Also wasn't there a comic relief show for celebs to learn how to drive? Paul Ogrady was on it, 2000ish time?

Yes, there was, and Natalie Cassidy was on it too, I think. In the end,
    They all failed their tests!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

I think he crashed into his garden wall!
    Maureen and her husband in the lada was classic :D
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, Driving School - that brings back memories. For me, that was the start of reality TV. That along with Airport in Heathrow and the Holiday Reps one were on about the same time. Made minor celebrities out of a lot of their subjects IIRC.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Driving School - that brings back memories. For me, that was the start of reality TV. That along with Airport in Heathrow and the Holiday Reps one were on about the same time. Made minor celebrities out of a lot of their subjects IIRC.

They did indeed. However at least those shows were somewhat interesting. Unlike the Big Brother, I'm a Celeb blandness we get now.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    never saw it but I heard Castaway was interesting too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a one of TV play with David Tennant as a driving instructor a few years back.

Starred & (IIIRC) written by Jessica Hynes
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

We has a discussion about these early reality shows before.
    I and another poster thought that's where these programs went wrong, trying to turn certain people into the focus of the show/celebs.

IIRC Maureen from Driving school received death threats and letters say how they hoped she'd get Cancer again, she'd had it before and recovered.

I'll mention Paddington Green, might bring back good memories for some on here.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    There was a radio programme specifically looking at Driving School, and the phenomenon of those type of reality shows. The link is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yw1pk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "Mirror, Signal, Manouevre" which aired on the BBC back in 2005

IMDB - http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1127763/

DS Thread - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=233907