Prince Harry

Comments

• MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Yes I know what you are hinting at...:D

For the first time ever, I have to say while watching the piece he at times looked like a younger Charles!!!
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he's been fighting in the frontline! I can't see many british politicians fighting the Taliban!

Well they are "fighting" them and by that I mean trying to strike a peace deal with them so that the Taliban can govern parts of Afghanistan. ;)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, arguably it made him less of a target for that other vicious pack of trophy hunters, the media. But I have far more respect for Harry, who is doing his duty than the offspring of our politicians who're kept safely out of the wars they start.

The duties of the army are his by choice. If the son or daughter of a politician chose to join the army, he or she would do his or her duty, too. Any job the son or daughter of a politician does could be viewed as their doing their duty in their chosen field. :confused: Do you not respect everyone who does the duties of their chosen job of work?

I certainly hope you would not advocate forcing politicians into paying for their government's forays into war with the blood of their children. :eek: How very 'Hunger Games'.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welll ...... just asking.

Why? What does it matter?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I thought in general he came across quite well.
    Muzski wrote: »
    I am in disbelief as to why the 'I killed the Taliban' headline has been run by the press with reference to Prince Harry, I watched the interview and thought he skirted answering to ensure there was some doubt. It would seem either this was enough for our press to decide he had, or there is another piece I have not seen that confirms he had.

Surely this means that of the approximately 6.5 billion people on the planet, Prince Harry is pretty much the only identifiable person to have publicly confirmed he had taken a Taliban life.

Unbelievable stupidity by the press, Palace, MOD or whoever is responsible.

He's out there as a soldier. he flies an Apache longbow. It's a very effective weapon. that he has seen action means he has killed the enemy. this was pretty obvious.

i don't see that he is any more or less a target now.
  • MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I thought in general he came across quite well.

He's out there as a soldier. he flies an Apache longbow. It's a very effective weapon. that he has seen action means he has killed the enemy. this was pretty obvious.

i don't see that he is any more or less a target now.

The point being, do we know any other identifiable individual in the world who has said I've killed Taliban terrorists. That's a fairly major reason to go after someone beyond all other goals. There's a difference in him being targeted and being their number one target. We are dealing with suicidal terrorists here and I'm not sure this has been very well thought out - if at all.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    The point being, do we know any other identifiable individual in the world who has said I've killed Taliban terrorists. That's a fairly major reason to go after someone beyond all other goals. There's a difference in him being targeted and being their number one target. We are dealing with suicidal terrorists here and I'm not sure this has been very well thought out - if at all.

I think that decision was taken when he went out there. suicide bombers are suicide bombers. you're not going to become one because of this. if it's a matter of them targeting him rather than someone else so be it. but i think even the taliban accept that they are in a war.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that "Harry: I didn't kill anyone" would have been a bigger story. He's been a gunner in an Apache attack helicopter. It's his job to kill people. If he had done an entire tour without any kills then that would have been remarkable.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    They could also take a sample of his DNA. What a can of worms that might have opened!!!

That would actually be a hilarious blackmail attempt.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would seeing all royal jolly jamborees are at our expense:mad:

So serving in Afghanistan in an Apache (basically a frontline weapon) is "a jolly jamboree?"
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the first time ever, I have to say while watching the piece he at times looked like a younger Charles!!!

I thought so too. I think it is stupid of him to claim killing Taliban because it has now made him a target for all the nutcase Muslims here and abroad.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Or so the spin doctors tell us :rolleyes:

And then the defence secretary said that when the base was attacked Harry was taken under guard to a place of safety. Surely he must be mistaken about that. Harry's just like any other soldier and is treated just like any other soldier. :D Only he's more heroic, obviously, being a prince.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I thought so too. I think it is stupid of him to claim killing Taliban because it has now made him a target for all the nutcase Muslims here and abroad.

He always has been a target so I doubt it will make much difference.

What was he supposed to have done - denied killing anyone or refused to answer the question?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    What was he supposed to have done - denied killing anyone or refused to answer the question?

The question shouldn't have been asked in the first place. It's kinda sick and also paints an even bigger target on him than there was previously. Some people might see him as an even more justifiable target now.

How many senior/retired soldiers get asked how many people they killed in theatre? It's not the done thing.

But that's the media for you - ****holes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    The question shouldn't have been asked in the first place. It's kinda sick and also paints an even bigger target on him than there was previously. Some people might see him as an even more justifiable target now.

Fair point. I have several friends who have been in the army but I wouldn't dream of asking them whether they had killed anyone. It's not something that most soldiers like to talk about.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd make a better King than William..
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    He'd make a better King than William..

What makes a good King?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    I find it sickening the way the media fawns over Harry yet contrast with the treatment given to soldier Ben Griffin who was served with an injunction by the High Court from speaking publicly about how British forces handed over suspects in Iraq to the American forces knowing full-well they would most likely be tortured.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could be out there handing out toys to orphans and he would still be no #1 target because of who he is.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    So serving in Afghanistan in an Apache (basically a frontline weapon) is "a jolly jamboree?"

As I said before I do not believe he should be in Afghanistan, these helicopters may be state of the art but helicopters have crashed out there and been shot down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    He could be out there handing out toys to orphans and he would still be no #1 target because of who he is.

So why make things worse for him my making him out to be revelling in his part in the killing of the odd muslim (because that's how it would be sold to any potential suicide bomber)?

Is that a reasonable price to pay for being born into the Royal family? (I roll my eyes and pity anyone who might be nodding)

I'm no religious scholar but doesn't Islam condemn killing people who haven't attacked you first? Surely this makes him a more legitimate (and more worthy) a target to these nutters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said before I do not believe he should be in Afghanistan, these helicopters may be state of the art but helicopters have crashed out there and been shot down.

So what would you have him do?

You'd whinge more if he was sat on a beach surrounded by topless dollies sipping a cold one (at our expense) I'd bet.

It's not as if he's expected to serve so I say fair play to him and each and everyone of our "volunteer" armed forces be they ginger royals or whoever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what should he be doing with his life? In 6 months time he will the 4th in line to the throne so it's very unlikely he'll ever get the "top job".
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    So what should he be doing with his life? In 6 months time he will the 4th in line to the throne so it's very unlikely he'll ever get the "top job".

Find him a charity, make him governor of the Bahamas, it's a nice place with plenty of rich people holding parties.

After some of his antics he's not really "top job" material anyway - is he?