Options

Is this house a good investment?

WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just looking for some advice. I have seen this property & am wondering if people think it would be a good investment opportunity. I'm a first time buyer, so I'm a complete novice to all this.

http://www.propertypal.com/93-deerpark-road-oldpark-belfast/228074#

It's in a residential area with most houses on sale at the moment going for between £75k - £140k (which makes me wonder why it's going for such a cheap amount).

I only earn £15,500 p.a but I have some savings so would only need a mortgage for £36k. I also work for the bank that I would get the mortgage through so I know I would be approved as they usually lend 2 1/2 times annual salary.

Also, I live at home so wouldn't want to live in this house - it would be mainly as an investment. Over the years I would want to build a front wall, do the garden up and also do some home improvements (save more & do a small loft conversion maybe).

The only thing is, the windows have been previously smashed several times by protestants in a neighboring estate (as this used to be a predominantly protestant street but now is more like 55% Catholic), and this is being done around the 12th July each year & as it is the end house (so easy access?) and because Catholics keep moving in.

The reason I'm confused is, about 6 years ago the house facing this one was selling for £50k and I regret never having gone for it as that one is now valued at around £70k-£75k and I don't want to miss another opportunity.

I'm single, have no dependents or major bills (am able to save £500 per month comfortably as I still live at home), and don't go out drinking at weekends anymore.

Would you go for it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would do it if you are sure your job is safe, you have the skills to do the house up.

You could sell it for a higher price once it has been done up, but it depends on the housing market in that area of course.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    I also work for the bank that I would get the mortgage through so I know I would be approved as they usually lend 2 1/2 times annual salary.

<snipped>

Also, I live at home so wouldn't want to live in this house - it would be mainly as an investment.

I'm not at all sure that your employer will be willing to approve a mortgage loan on a property which you don't intend to occupy, so I suggest that you clarify this before going any further.
  • Options
    queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this bit would put me off

"Sadly the dwelling has suffered minor vandalism and will require improvement works"

added to which you seem to indicate that vandalism in the area is common and you are not going to live in the house.

Ask yourself this. How much would you have to spend on it to get it back in liveable condition, and how long would it stay in that state ?

If they are available I would look at local police statistics for the area to see if there is any indication of ongoing trouble \ potential trouble
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    I'm not at all sure that your employer will be willing to approve a mortgage loan on a property which you don't intend to occupy, so I suggest that you clarify this before going any further.

Oh really? Ahh, see I said I was a novice :o I thought as long as they were getting the monthly mortgage payment it would be irrelevant to them. Nobody else would be living in it.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To make this a sensible investment you need a more professional approach than renovating the house 'over the years' or your outgoings in connection with the house (mortgage, council tax, insurance etc) are likely to outstriip or at least substantially erode any appreciation in the value of the property.

Live in it, do it up and rent it out, do it up and sell it, but don't leave it empty for years.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over what term do you see it as "an investment"?

Work out how much you'll pay to the bank in total during the loan period.
    Work out how much you'll pay out for renovation, repairs, council tax, insurance etc. during that period.
    Then try to guess what the house might sell for at the end of that period.

If the value is less than you paid (or not very significantly more) it's not an investment - it's a money sink.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this bit would put me off

"Sadly the dwelling has suffered minor vandalism and will require improvement works"

added to which you seem to indicate that vandalism in the area is common and you are not going to live in the house.

Ask yourself this. How much would you have to spend on it to get it back in liveable condition, and how long would it stay in that state ?

If they are available I would look at local police statistics for the area to see if there is any indication of ongoing trouble \ potential trouble

Without saying too much, the house is very near my own & it is generally a very quiet area occupied by mostly elderly & young families. It's only this one house which has been hit by valdalism in recent years and only on or around 12th July (marching season). But you're right, I guess. Would there be any point in buying it to constantly have to fix broken windows? :(
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know what the damage actually is?
    How easy will it be to rent it given the risk of damage? Will a tenant want to stay after they've had windows smashed? How much will it cost to fix each time? (bearing in mind it may be difficult or not worthwhile insuring against)
    Is there a risk of the damage being more serious next time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over what term do you see it as "an investment"?

Work out how much you'll pay to the bank in total during the loan period.
    Work out how much you'll pay out for renovation, repairs, council tax, insurance etc. during that period.
    Then try to guess what the house might sell for at the end of that period.

If the value is less than you paid (or not very significantly more) it's not an investment - it's a money sink.

Thanks. I was wondering why it was at such a low price in comparison to other houses in this street which are on sale at the minute. I guess I havn't put too much thought into the other necessities that you mentioned above. Maybe back to the drawing board and keep saving for another few years...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh really? Ahh, see I said I was a novice :o I thought as long as they were getting the monthly mortgage payment it would be irrelevant to them. Nobody else would be living in it.

Obviously, I can't speak for your employer but if they are lending to a member of staff, I would expect them to be even more cautious than usual.

The fact that you intend to leave the property unoccupied is likely to be a negative factor, rather than a positive.

You really need to ask them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Do you know what the damage actually is?
    How easy will it be to rent it given the risk of damage? Will a tenant want to stay after they've had windows smashed? How much will it cost to fix each time? (bearing in mind it may be difficult or not worthwhile insuring against)
    Is there a risk of the damage being more serious next time?

I wasn't going to rent it I was just gonna do home improvements over a 5 year period and try to sell it at a profit. But another poster mentioned above that if the costs of the home improvements outweigh the increased value, then what's the point.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't going to rent it I was just gonna do home improvements over a 5 year period and try to sell it at a profit. But another poster mentioned above that if the costs of the home improvements outweigh the increased value, then what's the point.

Apart from anything else, if it's already a target for vandalism then leaving it obviously unoccupied for 5 years isn't really going to help. And if there was scope for making a quick buck out of doing it up then you'd have competition from other property developers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Apart from anything else, if it's already a target for vandalism then leaving it obviously unoccupied for 5 years isn't really going to help. And if there was scope for making a quick buck out of doing it up then you'd have competition from other property developers.

And people who actually know what they're doing/have done it before.

I think I'll just stick to saving - for what, I dont know.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    The website says "Price £45,000" and it's not like it needs much work doing.

Well a part from the boiler has been nicked.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing is, the windows have been previously smashed several times by protestants in a neighboring estate (as this used to be a predominantly protestant street but now is more like 55% Catholic), and this is being done around the 12th July each year & as it is the end house (so easy access?) and because Catholics keep moving in.

Was the house occupied at the time? Vandals seem to be attracted to empty properties.

Why is the house only £45K? This needs to be established first. Maybe the others are over-valued, or maybe it has a problem. If that really is the price, then perhaps it can be negotiated even lower.

Keeping it empty for five years when house prices are likely to be stagnant, or could fall further, probably isn't a good idea, as the mortgage (plus insurance, council tax (or rates) and other expenses) will be costing you money each month. Usually this cost is offset by rental income. (And if you're to let it, perhaps let to a protestant family, but then that side is a complete mystery to people from other parts of the UK.)
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP why would you not want to live in it while you are doing it up ? It means you are there and will getto know the idiosyncrasies of the place, you can see when a door handle goes or something needs painting and it means you don't have to keep going back and forth.

Also I would assume you are paying your parents lodge at the moment, if you moved in you would save the lodge money and put it towards your own bills, they may be cheaper
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It means you are there and will getto know the idiosyncrasies of the place ...

Freudian slip? (ghetto)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Was the house occupied at the time? Vandals seem to be attracted to empty properties.

Why is the house only £45K?
    This needs to be established first. Maybe the others are over-valued, or maybe it has a problem. If that really is the price, then perhaps it can be negotiated even lower.

Keeping it empty for five years when house prices are likely to be stagnant, or could fall further, probably isn't a good idea, as the mortgage (plus insurance, council tax (or rates) and other expenses) will be costing you money each month. Usually this cost is offset by rental income. (And if you're to let it, perhaps let to a protestant family, but then that side is a complete mystery to people from other parts of the UK.)

I have sent an e-mail to the company saying I am interested but this is one of the first things I will be asking. Considering the house a few doors up (who is a good friend of my mum's) is currently valued at £75k.

I was actually thinking that doing buy-to-let and letting to a protestant family, would be a better option. But my sister has just informed me that the house never keeps tenants for some reason (she knows a girl who had to move out after 2 months due to attacks). But again, a protestant family renting would be the best option.
    OP why would you not want to live in it while you are doing it up ? It means you are there and will getto know the idiosyncrasies of the place, you can see when a door handle goes or something needs painting and it means you don't have to keep going back and forth.

Also I would assume you are paying your parents lodge at the moment, if you moved in you would save the lodge money and put it towards your own bills, they may be cheaper

I just learned a new word, thanks :D

To be honest, I havn't been very thorough in my thought process with this at all, it seems. I just thought, I'll take out a mortgage, still live at home & save. Best case scenario = it earns a profit as and if the house values increase over the years. Worst case scenario, I could either sell it and get my money back or take a small loss or if anything ever happened to my parents, it would be somewhere I could go live. I wanted it more as a security blanket for the future rather than a 'live-in now home'.

Instead of lodge I pay the phone/internet, elec & sky Direct Debits monthly, & chip in with gas.

I was also thinking "I'll get a loft extension built on it aswell" to make it 4 bedrooms, thinking that would be about £10k. But a quick search on Google makes it at more like £25k-£40k for a loft extension :eek: I was trying to be sensible but really it has highlighted my shortcomings ie I know nothing about mortgages!! I work in the same branch as a few mortgage advisors though so might just ask them for a quick bit of advice also, next week,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    The house is attacked, tenants have moved out because they've been attacked and tenants don't stay longer thab 2 months at a time, its valued at 30k less than other houses on the same road and yet you're still asking if this house is a good investment?!! I think you should get some proper advice before making such decisions as, no offence, you seem very out of your depth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The house is attacked, tenants have moved out because they've been attacked and tenants don't stay longer thab 2 months at a time, its valued at 30k less than other houses on the same road and yet you're still asking if this house is a good investment?!! I think you should get some proper advice before making such decisions as, no offence, you seem very out of your depth.

Lmao :D I definitely am!!
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how you're going to specifically rent it to a Protestant family and how will anyone know that it's a Protestant family rather than a catholic one?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The thing is if you buy it for that price, keep it empty and do it up, will you really be able to sell it for a profit if it has such a bad reputation? It could be the nicest looking house in five years and be valued at £75k but that means nothing if nobodies willing to buy it to live in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    When you come to sell or rent it, how do you ensure you only get Protestants? Do they have to state their religion to you, or their mortgage supplier? Out of all the strange things about this scenario, this is the strangest - only renting/selling to a specified religion! What if they're Buddhists, or Jews?
  • Options
    chrishartxxchrishartxx Posts: 318
    Forum Member

i bought a flat with a loan from my employer who was a large insurance company. The moment I got married, they demanded I repay the loan as they assumed I was going to move in with my OH. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RegMonkey wrote: »
    When you come to sell or rent it, how do you ensure you only get Protestants? Do they have to state their religion to you, or their mortgage supplier? Out of all the strange things about this scenario, this is the strangest - only renting/selling to a specified religion! What if they're Buddhists, or Jews?

You know the Belfast wags' answer to that?

It's: "Are they Catholic Jews / Buddhists or Protestant Jews / Buddhists?"