Options

Tesco tablet

Comments

• Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Any opinions on this tesco one and the new nexus7? My kids want n7 for Xmas and obviously a huge price difference. They are gadget aware and we do have the original n7. I like the idea of the hdmi out which I presume will show whatever is on screen via their tvs hdmi. My concern is longevity really. Wondering if it will get kitkat etc.
    A suggestion:
    Get the children to do the research and make the decision. Tell them they'll get the difference in cost in the form of money or other presents, but they'll have to live with the consequences if they make the wrong decision. It'll be a useful lesson for them in many ways.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta john. Been showing them a video of it connecting to tv and they seem interested in it. Seems only black available on tesco website just now. Cracking price for this though
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are keen 'gamers' they probably need the 2013 Nexus 7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't play what I'd call blockbuster retail games. More candy crush, minecraft
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't play what I'd call blockbuster retail games. More candy crush, minecraft
    Is there a community or forum etc for Minecraft? If so, it might be worth the children searching that for comments on the two tablets, or asking the question. (I'm still trying to flog the idea that they do the research work :) )
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The tiny tinny speakers on stuff elsewhere might be slightly better, but do not quote me on that.

A rough guestimate of quality order would be Kindle, New Nexus 7, iPad Mini, Nexus 7.

Does the 'appalling' sound match the Mini or the old Nexus 7?

My iPad Mini sound is good for a small tablet. I rarely plug in PC speakers to the headphone socket.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta john. Been showing them a video of it connecting to tv and they seem interested in it. Seems only black available on tesco website just now. Cracking price for this though

Big notices in Tesco saying sorry for the delay in the coloured versions. I've had a play with the Hudl and it's pretty cool, seems much faster than the original Nexus and the screen is absolutely stunning. It feels like Vanilla Android, and the Tesco app on the screen is very unobtrusive.

I've tried a few games on it, and they all look stunning and play perfectly smoothly. Can't see why anyone would want to spend more on a 7" tablet with the quality of this baby.

:) Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can the back come off and be swapped for a colour ?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Just fit one one of the protective covers which come in a varietyy of colours. I can't imagine using a portable device like this without a cover to protect the screen when not in use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh yeah thats true. My kids are 8 and 10 so definitely need a cover. Thier fragmented ipod touches are testament to that
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    ..Seems a shame to be prepared for forego such quality in favour of a cheap model just for the sake of £20 quid...
    Tesco's looks planned around becoming Amazon Kindle like, but without the restrictions.
    They own Blinkbox to sell and stream videos plus they also bought Sony WE7, now Blinkbox Music
    Argos just seem to have bought a cheap batch and bunged their Bush label on them. I doubt it would have made the news but for the Tesco launch.
  • Options
    ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Big notices in Tesco saying sorry for the delay in the coloured versions. I've had a play with the Hudl and it's pretty cool, seems much faster than the original Nexus and the screen is absolutely stunning. It feels like Vanilla Android, and the Tesco app on the screen is very unobtrusive.

I've tried a few games on it, and they all look stunning and play perfectly smoothly. Can't see why anyone would want to spend more on a 7" tablet with the quality of this baby.

:) Mark

Not quite , but close. ( i own both)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my hudl today. It'll take a bit of getting used to but it looks like a winner so far.:cool:
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Got my hudl today. It'll take a bit of getting used to but it looks like a winner so far.:cool:
    YAY :D

I'm still in love with mine in fact, I've all but retired my ten-incher :o
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    One issue I have is using the Eurosport Player app on my Hudl, On my computer and Windows mobile I can timeshift up to three hours which is very useful but this feature does not appear to be available on the Android version of the app?
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...and they say sizes doesn't matter.:D
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    On my computer and Windows mobile I can timeshift up to three hours which is very useful but this feature does not appear to be available on the Android version of the app?

Not really Hudl specific, the Eurosport android app has been rubbish/ broken for ages. It didn't work atall for several months, so no timeshift is a minor inconvenience in comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    ...and they say sizes doesn't matter.:D
    Indeed - and I've bucked the trend somewhat by preferring the smaller model :D
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Im fairly happy with my HudL esoecially as it was kinda FREE as used £60 of Tesco vouchers BUT not happy with the Micro SDcard slot which doesn't appear to have a spring mechanism some have to prise it out with a needle .....very fiddly .

Also the web pages freeze every so often which is annoying as we have to swit off and in to unfreeze things .
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hudl has Plants vs Zombies 2! Yay!.:D:cool:
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't have been much of a success, as it's been far too short a time - and they messed up availability on them - resulting in what stocks there were been sent to the largest stores.

BIB - or bought by the Tesco staff before they reached the shelves ??
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else have issues with youtube after the update today? It won't sign in anymore or do anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Im fairly happy with my HudL esoecially as it was kinda FREE as used £60 of Tesco vouchers BUT not happy with the Micro SDcard slot which doesn't appear to have a spring mechanism some have to prise it out with a needle .....very fiddly .
    As I said in your thread - you must have inserted it incorrectly as this shouldn't happen and doesn't with mine.

I found these instructions for you, for future reference:

https://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3533
    Also the web pages freeze every so often which is annoying as we have to swit off and in to unfreeze things .
    I haven't had this happen to me at all.
  • Options
    marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and the ex have decided to buy these for our two girls (8 & 11) for Chrimbo. I've already ordered one, and she'll do the same in a couple of weeks. They've practically monopolised the cheapo Chinese tablet I bought early last year, and I think they'll love them. They're a cracking spec for the price. We're coupling them with some funky KitSound Leveller SPL limited headphones for some peace and quiet with no ear damage...
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and the ex have decided to buy these for our two girls (8 & 11) for Chrimbo. I've already ordered one, and she'll do the same in a couple of weeks. They've practically monopolised the cheapo Chinese tablet I bought early last year, and I think they'll love them. They're a cracking spec for the price. We're coupling them with some funky KitSound Leveller SPL limited headphones for some peace and quiet with no ear damage...

I am sure they will love them they are great for kids.