The Mentalist season 6 (US Pace) *Spoilers*

Comments

• SpoilerificSpoilerific Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I've watched it a couple times now, so if anyone has any questions, shoot. I won't be cryptic or anything like that.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I've watched it a couple times now, so if anyone has any questions, shoot. I won't be cryptic or anything like that.

well yes. do you think it's a real episode or something they've cobbled together to confuse?
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    well yes. do you think it's a real episode or something they've cobbled together to confuse?

why would they want to do that for?

it takes time and money and is of no benefit to the show
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

From the clips that are in the promo's and their scene's in the episode itself, I'm pretty sure it's legitimately the one to be shown this Sunday. There are sync issues, or cutting issues where the scene is a little jumpy. I put this down to the fact it's ripped from a browser player, rather than it being an original media file. It'd be expensive for the show to film alternate scenes just for promo's and then for an episode if they have something different lined up for the episode itself. Also, this episode was confirmed by a review site to be the one they were also given by CBS. So unless CBS have sent dummy episodes to reviewers, it's a stretch to think it's not the exact episode that will air this Sunday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    That's what I find unusual about this leaked vid because almost every advance preview I've seen or heard about states that stuff gets explained... maybe not absolutely 'everything', but a good chunk of stuff... whereas a lot of folk who have seen this leaked vid are commenting that next to nothing is explained.

Either folk have polar opposing views regarding exposition or two vids have been seen :D

Were the 8 points listed on TVFanatic dealt with, for starters?
    http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/11/the-mentalist-preview-who-is-red-john/
    Equally the various points on SpoilerTV:http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/11/the-mentalist-episode-608-red-john_171.html
    Annoyingly, the journo on STV refused to verify the leaked vid which for a lot of people is pretty much just confirming it's real, lol
    As far as I can remember from the episode, TV fanatic points, a lot of points on the list were covered yes although their definition of a couple are confusing for me.
    As for spoiler TV, again, it's their definition of a few things that could differ from my POV.
    It's open to each individual interpretation as to whether things are answered I think. For me though, they weren't.
    Seems that the next episode, the 'new' chapter if you like, the words RJ will not be uttered (according to Simon B anyways), which seems strange as how do they explain anything without mentioning why it's changed! Guess we shall wait til Dec 1st to find out.

I was hoping that the leak was slightly intentional and they have yet to finalise the whole episode therefore rectifying a few things that people who have seen it have been mentioning. Sadly I do think like others have said though, it's the real episode.
    I am just gobsmacked that a double murderer like Jane isn't behind bars at any point!
    From my POV I want the next part of the show to focus more on ALL the characters. Jane is good but he's not god. They need to show him making mistakes more. And I sincerely hope Lisbon doesn't just forgive him for all the crap he's put her through in 5 1/2 seasons. That for me would be the last straw, if they just ignore that.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boab34 wrote: »
    it takes time and money and is of no benefit to the show

You'd be surprised how easy it is to mock up something like this... extra/wrong scenes are quick to hammer out if everything is already set up for the proper scenes. Easy enough to make a whole episode out of cut/bloopered scenes too, for example. Lots of crews do it, sometimes for misdirection, sometimes as internal jokes. The benefit would be to wind folk up. Or it's an internal joke that got loose. Why is it that no other episodes have ever got out like this? Why is it that the running time is longer than normal by a random 3-4 minutes?

Or someone simply hacked a journalists account and released the source code access to the preview rough cut...
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how easy it is to mock up something like this... extra/wrong scenes are quick to hammer out if everything is already set up for the proper scenes. Easy enough to make a whole episode out of cut/bloopered scenes too, for example. Lots of crews do it, sometimes for misdirection, sometimes as internal jokes. The benefit would be to wind folk up. Or it's an internal joke that got loose. Why is it that no other episodes have ever got out like this? Why is it that the running time is longer than normal by a random 3-4 minutes?

Or someone simply hacked a journalists account and released the source code access to the preview rough cut...

3-4 minutes? No, only about 1 minute. I get the impression you think its a dud. I really don't think it is, although I hope it is. In this day and age where spoilers leak left right and centre, it'd be really great to genuinely be surprised by something.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3-4 minutes? No, only about 1 minute. I get the impression you think its a dud. I really don't think it is, although I hope it is. In this day and age where spoilers leak left right and centre, it'd be really great to genuinely be surprised by something.

I'm keeping an open mind but admit it probably is the final story edit rough-cut. And the version I saw was about 3-4 minutes longer than the ad-free versions I usually get...
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    The leak is real as one writer and a few sites have confirmed its real .
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the RJ saga tries to add depth to a show which is inherently, for me at least, comfort food.

You can sit down with a mug of tea and enjoy a bit of murder mystery whimsy with an attractive cast and just have a decent hours entertainment.

From a procedural perspective the whole concept of a Jane is ridiculous but I can let that go because it's all entertaining hokum.

But with RJ they've over promised the viewers and I don't think, because I've yet to see any evidence, that the writers have it in them.

Should have kept it simple. :(
    Forum Member
    Finally managed to watch it , its not as bad as people are making out but its only average .
  • ambariambari Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Overall I think season 6 has been the best for me. It has been fast paced, very explosive and dynamic. I think the build up to the reveal was so huge that the reveal episode sadly (for me) doesn't live up to the hype.

Nevertheless, after having watched it a second time, I think the episode itself is not so bad, but there is so much more the writers could have done.
    Still no explanation though of how RJ got hold of the list!
    Forum Member
    ambari wrote: »
    Overall I think season 6 has been the best for me. It has been fast paced, very explosive and dynamic. I think the build up to the reveal was so huge that the reveal episode sadly (for me) doesn't live up to the hype.

Nevertheless, after having watched it a second time, I think the episode itself is not so bad, but there is so much more the writers could have done.
    Still no explanation though of how RJ got hold of the list!

clearly the writers could not come up with anything so brushed it under the carpet as very little was explained over all
    Some questions if anybody can answer them

1) how did he kill Partridge when that house was full of pidgins ?
    2) How did he manager to get some many people to join his blake society ?

3) So Jane learnt nothing at all and still killed Red John in cold blood , so what was the point of the story ?

IMO
  • ambariambari Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    clearly the writers could not come up with anything so brushed it under the carpet as very little was explained over all
    Some questions if anybody can answer them

1) how did he kill Partridge when that house was full of pidgins ?
    2) How did he manager to get some many people to join his blake society ?

3) So Jane learnt nothing at all and still killed Red John in cold blood , so what was the point of the story ?

IMO
    1. Maybe he got one of his minnions to do the job on Partridge (in the last 2 episodes we saw how he gets them to do his "tying up loose ends" on Bertram and attempted kill of Smith. Although this doesn't explain how he was around to paint Lisbon's face with the famous RJ smiley logo
    2. He's a master of manipulation. Lorelei confirmed that he is as good as PJ when it comes to this. And also he is relentless.
    3. RJ offered to tell how he obtained the list, but PJ didn't want to know - so it would seem that PJ is smart enough and already knows how it was done. Maybe they will reveal in a future episode (e.g. in a flashback or if PJ is explaining to someone else)
    Forum Member
    Jane may know but we don't and that's who who have to explain it too - so its a cop out IMO

Also Jane got patted down for weapons and at no point did this person feel the live bird in his jacket ??? Again it makes no sense

ambari wrote: »
    1. Maybe he got one of his minnions to do the job on Partridge (in the last 2 episodes we saw how he gets them to do his "tying up loose ends" on Bertram and attempted kill of Smith. Although this doesn't explain how he was around to paint Lisbon's face with the famous RJ smiley logo
    2. He's a master of manipulation. Lorelei confirmed that he is as good as PJ when it comes to this. And also he is relentless.
    3. RJ offered to tell how he obtained the list, but PJ didn't want to know - so it would seem that PJ is smart enough and already knows how it was done. Maybe they will reveal in a future episode (e.g. in a flashback or if PJ is explaining to someone else)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I suspected a disappointing reveal.

Didn't really care that it was the person we saw. They certainly didn't look like they could manipulate people the way we were lead to believe RJ did.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At this point, people were more interested in answering the questions that had built up over the years than merely who had done it. People will feel very unresolved after this ep, pretty anti-climactic.

Also, how does someone with a bullet wound outrun an uninjured person for so long?

Also the very end bit (after the phonecall), what was that supposed to be all about?
  • dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    At this point, people were more interested in answering the questions that had built up over the years than merely who had done it. People will feel very unresolved after this ep, pretty anti-climactic.

Also, how does someone with a bullet wound outrun an uninjured person for so long?

Also the very end bit (after the phonecall), what was that supposed to be all about?

Jane running? To represent his newfound freedom, I guess.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I was very underwhelmed by that episode.

For someone who is supposedly very intelligent, manipulative and evil, Red John seemed easily outfoxed and stupid.

In death he should have been steadfast, unrepentant and cold till the bitter end, and not the rather pathetic figure they made him out to be.

The season 3 Red John killing was better than this rubbish.
    Forum Member
    What a colossal load of absolute horse-shit.

Absolutely, gut-wrenchingly, terrible.

Bruno Heller clearly had no idea who Red John was going to be. He was some kind of boogey-man from the word go. All the clues the viewers have seen over the first 5 series don't mean a damn thing. It's plainly obvious the writers didn't know who RJ was going to be, instead opting to decide series 6 they'd wrap it up by forcing together a list of 7 suspects and playing eenie-meenie-minie-mo in the writers room to pick who the lucky character would be. For paid, professional writers, that's actually disgusting. Lazy and pathetic. I hope the viewing figures drop off after the 2 year time jump in the next episode, and CBS pull it after this season. What a disgrace and terrible excuse for a conclusion to a really good arc! Atrocious in all aspects. Simon Baker's acting (as per usual) was the only good thing in this episode. It's almost laughable how shockingly bad this was.
  • cassiopeacassiopea Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like I have watched the pieced together leaked version. Can anyone confirm, now it's actually aired, if there were any bits that were edited out or missing from the leaked version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out the lady walking away from the church when the FBI turn up, that's the woman who took the knife to PJ. She's obviously part of the gang. Why do we need to see her walking away? Just before we see her, at about 36.29mins there's a white haired man walking who could be Bret Stiles.

I suggest that if McAllister could fake his death then so could Haffner and Stiles.

I would also suggest that the real RJ would not necessarily need to have a tattoo. Perhaps all is not finished with who RJ really is...
    Forum Member
    cassiopea wrote: »
    Check out the lady walking away from the church when the FBI turn up, that's the woman who took the knife to PJ. She's obviously part of the gang. Why do we need to see her walking away? Just before we see her, at about 36.29mins there's a white haired man walking who could be Bret Stiles.

I suggest that if McAllister could fake his death then so could Haffner and Stiles.

I would also suggest that the real RJ would not necessarily need to have a tattoo. Perhaps all is not finished with who RJ really is...

I'm pretty sure they've said Red John is done, it's finished. That was the point of the reveal, and that there'd be no more twists with it or future appearances of Red John.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they've said Red John is done, it's finished. That was the point of the reveal, and that there'd be no more twists with it or future appearances of Red John.

Of course they do and I'd agree with you except for the fact that there are 4 more episodes. 4?? What for, to show that Jane has moved on? is being tracked down as a murderer? or becomes a new RJ perhaps???

If we know RJ at all what better way to outsmart Jane than by pretending he's already been caught and caught twice! To have both Bertram and McAllister pretend to be RJ, RJ satisfied Jane's suspicion that RJ wouldn't be caught so easily.
    Forum Member
    The 4 episodes are because the next one is set 2 years in the future. There's no more CBI, Jane has moved somewhere but as per the synipsis get's drawn back into assisting law enforcement, or something along those lines. The series is taking a huge new leap. It's starting from scratch 2 years later.