Another unknown source "The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity"

i.e You can safely dismiss it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    i.e You can safely dismiss it.

We aren't talking about the Daily Star here. I trust these media organisations to quote reliable sources.
  • coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »
    Mad theory time.

How about if every single person on the plane was in fact part of a mass witness protection programme?

:D I was just reading a Reuters report about the plane crossing navigational points which showed that it had to have been flown by someone rather than on autopilot, and the thing that crossed my mind was what of everyone on that plane were in on it - something like the Agatha Christe Murder on the Orient Express.

Please note I am usually quite sane and this is my craziest theory to date. :D
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poirot would have solved this by now.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's been mentioned in here previously.

When the Malaysians lost radar contact with MH370 one hour into the flight would the Malaysian Military have been informed ?

The Malaysians didn't 'lose contact', there is no primary radar that far out over the sea and the main contact is by HF radio and the final transmission to Kuala Lumpur was normal. They handed over control by radio to the next area i.e. Vietnam (also beyond primary radar coverage) and the plane should have attempted to make contact with Ho Chi Minh City by radio (who would have access to its flight plan) but apparently never did. If (big IF) a pilot or someone wanted to fly the plane somewhere else for whatever purpose, that would have been the time to do it - while out of contact (if transponder switched off) or it could have crashed out there.

Presumably at some point some time later, Vietnam reported that the flight had not reported in but there would have been no accurate fix on position or time. That would have been down to the secondary flight info from the transponder as reported on e.g. flightradar24.com, which had already stopped. I read somewhere that Malaysia didn't report the flight as officially missing for 5 hours but it didn't say if Vietnam or Malaysia was responsible for the bulk of that delay. It's all very strange but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the ground and/or in the plane cocked-up at some point (rather than consipracy) and if it's someone on the ground, may be hiding that fact.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the aliens.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    We aren't talking about the Daily Star here. I trust these media organisations to quote reliable sources.

If they are reliable then they'll admit their provenance, surely?

We've so far had "reliable" but "unnamed" sources say:
    o They spotted an aircraft on fire on the southern tip of Vietnam
    o That ACARS was pinging engine data (which RR wouldn't then confirm)
    o That plane debris has been spotted in several places (which turned out not to be true)
    o That the plane was being tracked on a military radar (even though no military authority then confirmed this)
    and so on...

Basically, anyone can phone Reuters and say they are the high chief commander of SE Asia and know this killer fact........"but I'll only tell you on condition of anonymity".
  • Jeremy BenthamJeremy Bentham Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Is there anything significant about the point all contact was lost? I am just thinking if this was planned, why that plane and why at that point on the journey.

I am coming back round to the idea that it was a hijacking, which if they are all still alive somewhere would be the most incredible story ever told. I just wonder what they intend to do with the plane and with 239 people!
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Is there anything significant about the point all contact was lost? I am just thinking if this was planned, why that plane and why at that point on the journey.

I am coming back round to the idea that it was a hijacking, which if they are all still alive somewhere would be the most incredible story ever told. I just wonder what they intend to do with the plane and with 239 people!

Nothing particularly - it was due to establish contact with Ho Chi Minh ATC shortly afterwards (but never did).
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: ACARS the system which reports the condition of the engines and is causing so much controversy at the moment.

Does anybody know how it works in practice, particularly on a 777? Are the communications sent via the aircrafts communication systems or direct from the engines?

Given that MH370s communications were disabled I'm wondering if they are sent straight from the engines via a separate transmitter which might explain the anomaly of some people saying there weren't any and others saying there were.

Wikipedia is no help.
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing particularly - it was due to establish contact with Ho Chi Minh ATC shortly afterwards (but never did).

Except that if it was deliberate then I'd have thought the point of handover from one ATC to another would be the best time.

I'm not by any means saying it was a deliberate thing as I am still tending in the direction of it being something like Hypoxia & the plane just flying unmanned until it ran out of fuel, but at this point with the lack of ANY substantiated evidence otherwise I cannot rule out a deliberate act & exactly as one country hands over to another would seem to me to be the optimum time for them to vanish off radar.
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »

There is a "great" episode of air crash investigation that goes into this sort of thing, where it turned out a new electrical system caused a fire that nearly brought an aircraft down (over land fortunately so they managed to get it down intact), where because the pilots didn't know exactly what breaker the new system ran on, they were unable to diagnose (and isolate) the exact cause of the problem whilst airborne and I think had to keep resetting several of the essential systems because the fault was causing them to trip as well (the heat from an adjacent short/overheating wire was causing a main system to detect a fault in it's circuit when it's resistance went up due to the heat and the current draw increased).

I think I saw that one recently; was it the aircraft which was sending loads of messages to the tech people back at base and the pilots had to go painstakingly through each part of the manual as it kept sending out error messages? They got the aircraft down in one piece as I recall and they were actually featured on the episode explaining what went on.

They looked nothing like those portraying them in the dramatization, though (although the real people seldom do).

With regard to the Malaysia aircaft, I am as puzzled as everyone else about what has happened to it - especially with all the conflicting stories bombarding us.

I can't help thinking about the passengers and crew, however. As well as their loved ones. The latter must be going through absolute hell whilst people on the internet 9and the news media) sit and speculate (and jest) about it all.

It's now a week since it disappeared. Whilst it would be amazing to find them all safe and well, the odds of that happening are pretty remote, I think.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have given up on the press reporting, any "expert" "source" "unnamed official" is really wearing starting to wear thin.
    I do have a lot of respect for the people actually searching for the plane, and the Malaysian officials.
  • Eric TristowEric Tristow Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whether it be a hijacking or the pilot going crazy this was certainly the best point at which to try to lose all contact.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could have flown through a break in the time, space, continuum, and will reappear in 100years with just a few hours having passed on the plane.:o
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh has anyone read this article on family members calling mobile phones of the passengers? :o:(:(

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/03/11/malaysia-airlines-370-passengers-cell-phones/6285325/

The ringing is "part of the process of wireless" communication, Kagan said. "In this particular case it's painful because it gives people false hope."

"The ringing is not actually ringing at the other phone yet," industry analyst Jeff Kagan said. "It's just telling you that the network is in the process of finding and connecting to it."
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to the flight recording made of a pilot suffering from hypoxia that someone kindly posted earlier & I was absolutely astounded by how quickly the pilot was affected & then recovered. Shocking really that it can be so extreme. I can easily see how hypoxia could be the answer here.QUOTE]

Some while ago I watched TV show about either fighter or test pilots, one of the segments was about decompression and how to recognize the symptoms, the test was when a switch lit up the pilot had press that switch after about 40 seconds they were suddenly unable to hit the right switches.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Yes it could have happened. It's a good theory.
    But in the absence of any proof, anything could have happened to this plane, running the whole spectrum from simple pilot error to full scale alien invasion...

or passenger using their mobile phone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    Re: ACARS the system which reports the condition of the engines and is causing so much controversy at the moment.

Does anybody know how it works in practice, particularly on a 777? Are the communications sent via the aircrafts communication systems or direct from the engines?

Given that MH370s communications were disabled I'm wondering if they are sent straight from the engines via a separate transmitter which might explain the anomaly of some people saying there weren't any and others saying there were.

Wikipedia is no help.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-167.html#post8374984

Doesn't fully answer your question but I would hazard a guess that a box in the fuselage monitors all of the engines and feeds back data (if the airline is subscribed to Engine Health Management or similar) independent of the aircraft's other communication systems.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So its being reported the plane turned back and possibly on an island somewhere this is so like Lost :o
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are reliable then they'll admit their provenance, surely?

We've so far had "reliable" but "unnamed" sources say:
    o They spotted an aircraft on fire on the southern tip of Vietnam
    o That ACARS was pinging engine data (which RR wouldn't then confirm)
    o That plane debris has been spotted in several places (which turned out not to be true)
    o That the plane was being tracked on a military radar (even though no military authority then confirmed this)
    and so on...

Basically, anyone can phone Reuters and say they are the high chief commander of SE Asia and know this killer fact........"but I'll only tell you on condition of anonymity".

Exactly! Whilst there may, occasionally, be a good reason for a source to remain anonymous, the sheer number of un-named and unidentified sources building up is verging on the ridiculous. It gives no credence to any of the conflicting theories whatsoever and only reinforces the idea that no-one has much of a clue as what actually happened.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Only a couple of hours until it's exact timing to the week when it disappeared. If something extraordinary is going on behind the scenes and the plane is on land somewhere, having been taken over, then the people responsible may choose this as a timing to speak out to the world?
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    balthasar wrote: »
    I listened to the flight recording made of a pilot suffering from hypoxia that someone kindly posted earlier & I was absolutely astounded by how quickly the pilot was affected & then recovered. Shocking really that it can be so extreme. I can easily see how hypoxia could be the answer here.QUOTE]

Some while ago I watched TV show about either fighter or test pilots, one of the segments was about decompression and how to recognize the symptoms, the test was when a switch lit up the pilot had press that switch after about 40 seconds they were suddenly unable to hit the right switches.

While I will buy the whole hypoxia thing, it doesn't really account for all the transponders etc being turned off.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    I keep hearing the last thing for the pilots to do is something is happening is to communicate. Surely this should be the first thing they do. All it would take is a few seconds to press a button or give a code for what they are dealing with.

A few seconds that may be the difference between life and death when there is an imminent emergency.

"Aviate, navigate, communicate"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Whether it be a hijacking or the pilot going crazy this was certainly the best point at which to try to lose all contact.

The fact that the last known communication from the plane was the one before 'handover' would be what I would want to look at the most closely, since it might be the symptom of much larger problems. Just how smooth are handovers from the different aviation authorities in this part of the world? To me this looks like a case of there being one obvious problem (that encountered by the plane, be it decompression, hijack, explosion etc) hugely exacerbated by inadequate cooperation between different authorities. A lot of buck passing, failure to take responsibility, and so on.

From the evidence we have so far, it looks as though it was the receiving authority that is responsible for 'losing' this plane.
This discussion has been closed.