Top Of The Pops 1979 (BBC4)

Comments

• SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched my recording of the full edition yet, but it'll be interesting to see whether I still hold the same view as 35 years ago. I wasn't a fan of "Boogie Wonderland", indeed I told anyone who would listen (not many, admittedly) that I much preferred "H.A.P.P.Y. Radio". I get the chance to compare them with this episode.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    I haven't watched my recording of the full edition yet, but it'll be interesting to see whether I still hold the same view as 35 years ago. I wasn't a fan of "Boogie Wonderland", indeed I told anyone who would listen (not many, admittedly) that I much preferred "H.A.P.P.Y. Radio". I get the chance to compare them with this episode.

As it happens - I actually still have the same taste in music and like much the same songs as I did when I was growing up!
    So either I had very good taste in music as a child or I havnt matured at all! :D
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Absolutely, maybe get Tony Blackburn or Simon Bates to do a voice over to introduce the acts? With edits they could probably get the run time down to 30 minutes.

Or even cheaper, just use captions, TOTP2 stylee.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite! They show programmes with Hitler in, don't they.

I realise that it must be embarrassment that prevents them from showing Savile really, but surely it would only be a day's work or so for someone to edit him out? Someone must already be doing an editing job to produce the shorter early evening versions.

I'm pretty sure they showed Jonathan King recently. And let's not forget the forgotten criminals, those who just turned a blind eye, they are the people who want to edit history. Making people forget as quickly as possible so other people implicated in some way won't be tarnished.

But as you indicate these shows are about the music, the presenters are largely irrelevant.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they showed Jonathan King recently. And let's not forget the forgotten criminals, those who just turned a blind eye, they are the people who want to edit history. Making people forget as quickly as possible so other people implicated in some way won't be tarnished.

But as you indicate these shows are about the music, the presenters are largely irrelevant.

Also they happily showed Arthur Mullard last year - an alleged daughter abuser - doing that god awful Grease cover version with Hylda Baker and no one bat an eyelid.
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Well I'm bereft. Bereft, I tell you.

*wipes tears and blows a great raspberry into a soggy tissue*

That's when music died? Everything since the 80s has been a lie? But I've enjoyed so much of it. It sounded pretty good to me, but now it appears it's all been an illusion. I'm going to have to throw all the music I've bought the last 25 years onto the bonfire and cleanse myself of this wrong.

Goodbye Radiohead. Farewell Goldfrapp. So long Bombay Bicycle Club. Toodlepip Blur. Bon voyage Supergrass. Ciao Elbow. Auf Wiedersehen to all those I've loved, but it turns out you're musically worthless because you came after 1982. Such a shame.

I can't believe I've gone all this time not realising my taste in music was...invalid.

No, not exactly, although i do believe 1983/84 does mark a rather significant decline in the quality of the singles chart (and perhaps pop in general), which even at this moment in time, shows little sign of recovery (in fact things have got a lot worse). Blame the problem on increasing importance of MTV pop package (resulting in image led disposable pop) and the rise of modern recording techniques (which renders everything to sound too clean, over produced and soulless), and the the more recent splintering of pop into two main groups (dance-pop and indie), without much in the way of variety. A lot of what's on offer today which isn't designed for the dance floor, seems to have a sort of melancholic, anthemic quality, which includes a 'layered' sound, rather than a more spontaneous interaction between musicians playing live, which is more my favoured way of listening to music. I'm not implying everything is bad, of course, but it takes a very large stretch of the imagination to believe popular music is anywhere near as effective as it once was, leading up to the early eighties. I think it's true to say the last three decades have proved barely a shadow of what pop once was, in its prime.

Enjoy your music, Little Girl, but most of it is not for me! (i dare say some of it may be good in its own way!)
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Oh look. Another week, another moan about the non screening of Savile episodes.

Do you put your hand on a hot oven ring?

No. No you don't. You wait for it to cool down before you put your fingers anywhere near it. Right now the wider general audience is the hot oven ring and the BBC is the hand already suffering a few scratches and a gaping open wound recognisable by the lingering haze of cigar smoke and kazoo hiss of, "...and the band you heard was Showaddywaddy."

Seriously, it's really not worth continuously going on about it. Yeah, it would be great to see those episodes - some are/will be available online somewhere anyway - but it's time to just accept they won't be on TV screens any time soon. The constant moaning about it is just getting repetitive.

It's also important to remember that there is a full in house investigation waiting to take place (it's been delayed due to other matters) of Savile's activities at the BBC. As such the BBC are not going to show any programme he either presented or guested on in the context of entertainment while they're investigating if he sexually abused anyone on their premises.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh look. Another week, another moan about the non screening of Savile episodes.

Do you put your hand on a hot oven ring?

No. No you don't. You wait for it to cool down before you put your fingers anywhere near it. Right now the wider general audience is the hot oven ring and the BBC is the hand already suffering a few scratches and a gaping open wound recognisable by the lingering haze of cigar smoke and kazoo hiss of, "...and the band you heard was Showaddywaddy."

Seriously, it's really not worth continuously going on about it. Yeah, it would be great to see those episodes - some are/will be available online somewhere anyway - but it's time to just accept they won't be on TV screens any time soon. The constant moaning about it is just getting repetitive.

It's also important to remember that there is a full in house investigation waiting to take place (it's been delayed due to other matters) of Savile's activities at the BBC. As such the BBC are not going to show any programme he either presented or guested on in the context of entertainment while they're investigating if he sexually abused anyone on their premises.

Sorry Miss.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm catching up now on last night's episode....

Had forgotten this first one - and the gay stuff... "poofter" lol
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Sorry Miss.

*bends cane*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chas & Dave :o Oh well, I suppose we're due for some dire World Cup 2014 songs soon ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A political song from Hot Chocolate
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    No, not exactly, although i do believe 1983/84 does mark a rather significant decline in the quality of the singles chart (and perhaps pop in general), which even at this moment in time, shows little sign of recovery (in fact things have got a lot worse). Blame the problem on increasing importance of MTV pop package (resulting in image led disposable pop) and the rise of modern recording techniques (which renders everything to sound too clean, over produced and soulless), and the the more recent splintering of pop into two main groups (dance-pop and indie), without much in the way of variety. A lot of what's on offer today which isn't designed for the dance floor, seems to have a sort of melancholic, anthemic quality, which includes a 'layered' sound, rather than a more spontaneous interaction between musicians playing live, which is more my favoured way of listening to music. I'm not implying everything is bad, of course, but it takes a very large stretch of the imagination to believe popular music is anywhere near as effective as it once was, leading up to the early eighties. I think it's true to say the last three decades have proved barely a shadow of what pop once was, in its prime.

Enjoy your music, Little Girl, but most of it is not for me! (i dare say some of it may be good in its own way!)

Compared to the 90s or later 80s we're probably in a renaissance of music now. 'Indie' as term can feel quite meaningless as it covers all kinds of things. Much of it can be strongly folk influenced and not necessarily layered or that artificial in sound. In fact people even just do their own recordings and put stuff up on places like Band Camp now.

But I'm not altogether against the cleaner produced sound of the 80s particularly in the first half of the decade and I'm not really anti-synth pop either as I grew up with the stuff. Music changed just like album covers did. And there could be visual impact in earlier music, people here liked that Bowie video on TOTP recently. And more complex produced pop music isn't altogether new, from The Beach Boys later stuff in the 60s to 10cc in the 70s there's plenty of examples and it can be good when done well. Nothing wrong with rawer stuff if done well too, but I think enjoying the variety is the best way rather than siding with one side.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite! They show programmes with Hitler in, don't they.

I realise that it must be embarrassment that prevents them from showing Savile really, but surely it would only be a day's work or so for someone to edit him out? Someone must already be doing an editing job to produce the shorter early evening versions.

What embarrasment? Im not embarrased to see him on TV. BBC are just over reacting as always.

Well at least they cant block his episodes on youtube.

Actually speaking of Hitler all these corporations are turning into him telling people what they should and shouldnt watch.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Quite of bit of reggae crossover going on in 1979 with The Police. Fischer Z also reminds me of 'Lines' by the Planets, which unfortunately we won't be seeing later in the year as it appears on a Savile edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t21MVCrvhOQ&feature=kp
    The best song The Beat never did! It sounds so much like them. Though The Planets were there first...
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    What embarrasment? Im not embarrased to see him on TV. BBC are just over reacting as always.

Well at least they cant block his episodes on youtube.

They can't block them....YET!

Exactly! I'm not embarrassed either! But I don't just blame the BBC - I think they have their hands tied and are under a lot of pressure, from elsewhere, not to show the likes of Savile, DLT etc :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the BBC that's embarrassed - not the viewers. It was the BBC that employed and enabled the man. There are people there who would like to pretend he never existed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    They can't block them....YET!

Exactly! I'm not embarrassed either! But I don't just blame the BBC - I think they have their hands tied and are under a lot of pressure, from elsewhere, not to show the likes of Savile, DLT etc :(
    The BBC aren't allowed to broadcast the DLT hosted editions of Top Of The Pops for legal reasons. As you posted, it is down to having their hands tied. I wish the BBC could show them but they aren't in a position to be able to do so.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Chas & Dave :o Oh well, I suppose we're due for some dire World Cup 2014 songs soon ;-)
    oi! *waves finger* leaves Chas Hodges alone, a true legend (and I don't even like Spurs):D
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *bends cane*

Oooh... you are so strict.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Blackburn on Pick Of The Pops is playing 1979 and the very date of this weeks TOTP edition today on Radio 2 between 1pm and 2pm. Always enjoy when the Thursday TOTP is complemented by POTP on Saturday. :)
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Compared to the 90s or later 80s we're probably in a renaissance of music now. 'Indie' as term can feel quite meaningless as it covers all kinds of things. Much of it can be strongly folk influenced and not necessarily layered or that artificial in sound. In fact people even just do their own recordings and put stuff up on places like Band Camp now.

I think indie now tends to mean almost any music which doesn't go along the processed pop/soul/r+b/dance route. Not exclusively, maybe, because there are always retro type artists like Rumer etc. who's music is largely built on the more traditional 60s/70s easy listening sounds etc. However, aside from the long established artists, like Van Morrison, Paul McCartney, Tom Jones etc. who's lifespan tends to exceed that of the indie name, a lot of newer artists do tend to get bracketed with the indie tag, if they aren't essentially dance artists, or into black r+b etc. Indie really no longer has its roots in necessarily corresponding to an independant label, although i think the ramifications placed on using that name is that these are artists who's music they wish to be taken seriously. In a sense, i think the indie term used so frequently these days, is often a reaction again the pop scene being swamped with so many processed pop stars and dance acts. The term tends to act as an indication of the clear division those artists wish to put between themselves and their more 'pop' inclined contempories (sometimes i think they are too conscious in trying to be different). I agree that the anthemic, melancholic sound of bands like Radiohead, Coldplay, Keane, Elbow, etc. are not the only alternative there is to dance-pop etc. but i'm still of the opinion that that sound does seem to overwhelm pretty much everything else that's available. There are times i feel their sound is geared a little too much to sound a certain way, too.

Sometimes i do wonder whether the late eighties pop scene, with all its processed pop and overproduction, did actually manage to have a sense of fun which is often lacking now. I occasionally listen to those songs when Tony Blackburn does his Pick Of The Pops shows, and the songs do have a way of registering with me, far more than those of more recent years. Whatever may have been the dubious intention surrounding the Stock-Aitken-Waterman productions and the like, they are actually catchy, and to a large degree actually fulfill what they set out to do. Yes, no doubt the late eighties was a big tailing off artistically, and i despised the complete dominance of processed pop at the time (and still do), but i still think they achieved what they set out to do, far far more effectively, than much of pop has a tendency to do today. Often the dance acts today are sometimes a little too gratuitous, and lack a strong sense of catchiness and melody as well (too much reliance on the beat), and the indie, dare i say, is pretty much reminiscent of visiting the morgue.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The BBC aren't allowed to broadcast the DLT hosted editions of Top Of The Pops for legal reasons. As you posted, it is down to having their hands tied. I wish the BBC could show them but they aren't in a position to be able to do so.

Is it the physical appearance of said presenters that is causing the problem?

Ok, edit them out.

They edited out an appearance by Savile on the first Mike Read this year.

It can't be the actual performance as some are repeated.

They edit to a short edition anyway.

Why after foisting years of TOTP 2 on us, with that style, are the Beeb strangely reluctant to continue that style of presentation?
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I'm catching up now on last night's episode....

Had forgotten this first one - and the gay stuff... "poofter" lol

Heh, I remember once listening to Sarah Kennedy on Radio 2 when she played this song. It got to that bit, and she stopped the song, saying something like, "What is this rubbish?". Obviously hadn't heard it before, and was embarrassed to be playing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Is it the physical appearance of said presenters that is causing the problem?

Ok, edit them out.

They edited out an appearance by Savile on the first Mike Read this year.

It can't be the actual performance as some are repeated.

They edit to a short edition anyway.

Why after foisting years of TOTP 2 on us, with that style, are the Beeb strangely reluctant to continue that style of presentation?
    It's more that at an incident in one of the episodes was used as evidence by the prosecution. As it was the one charge that the jury couldn't agree on and for which the Crown are retrying DLT on, it has lead to the BBC refusing to show any DLT hosted episodes as a result, presumably to avoid any potential legal problems.

I wish the BBC could show other DLT hosted episodes but I can understand why they are reluctant to do so.
This discussion has been closed.