Regret TiVo upgrade - it's a clunky mess.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway people I sense we aren't getting anywhere. I've made my point but I feel that attempting to sell TiVo to me is like a crusade for some people, I'm not sure if they're actually trying to persuade me (not going to happen) or justify the expense to themselves.

Some of the justifications have, to me, been bizarre. Things like 'sorting out series links is a real pain'. I'd refer you to my previous comments "How much TV are these people watching? How many hours do they have in their days?" Sorting out series links is something that has to be done every few months and it takes moments. It's not a pain, it's simple.

TiVo users often complain that the time they have to spend deleting the cr@p it fills it's hard drive with is a real pain. And before someone spouts 'It's simple to delete them', not as simple as on a V+ on TiVo you've then got to delete them from the recycle bin. Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tavis75 wrote: »
    So you watch whatever happens to be on in the EPG?

See, I just have series links set up that record everything I know I want to watch, wish-lists so that programs I may not be aware of but which cover topics or feature people that I would be interested in get recorded and suggestions to maybe come up with a few more random things that may be of interest.

Means that when I happen to sit down to watch TV I will have a decent selection of programs I know I'm likely to want to watch, but I never have to worry about TV schedules etc. I'm not sure I've actually used the EPG more than once or twice in the nearly three years that I've had the TiVo!

Yes, that's what most people do. They watch TV live wherever possible in order to have shared experiences. You're posting on DS. Go take a look in the TV forums, it's packed to the gills with people commenting on TV as it is broadcast, Twitter is too. You don't see hash-tags appearing on screen for decoration, they are there to make discussing it easier.

Your way of watching TV seems outdated and overtaken by developments.
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MostynDS wrote: »
    TiVo users often complain that the time they have to spend deleting the cr@p it fills it's hard drive with is a real pain. And before someone spouts 'It's simple to delete them', not as simple as on a V+ on TiVo you've then got to delete them from the recycle bin. Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

No you don't, you don't even actually need to delete them from "My Shows" in the first place if you don't want to as the TiVo will delete them itself if it needs the space and once they're in the recycle bin they don't even show against your used space, so there's no need to delete them from there at all.

The recycle bin is a nice feature, on the V+ box when you try and delete something it asks you if you're sure, so twice as many button clicks (and I've still deleted things accidentally as you get used to clicking "Yes" without thinking), whereas on the TiVo you only need to press delete once and if you do delete something accidentally you'll have plenty of time to realise your mistake and get the program back.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway people I sense we aren't getting anywhere. I've made my point but I feel that attempting to sell TiVo to me is like a crusade for some people, I'm not sure if they're actually trying to persuade me (not going to happen) or justify the expense to themselves.

Some of the justifications have, to me, been bizarre. Things like 'sorting out series links is a real pain'. I'd refer you to my previous comments "How much TV are these people watching? How many hours do they have in their days?" Sorting out series links is something that has to be done every few months and it takes moments. It's not a pain, it's simple.

Why would you need to delete things in the recycle bin?
    I have had the tivo for two and a half years and have never done that. the tivo auto deletes things from the bin as and when it needs the room
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that's what most people do. They watch TV live wherever possible in order to have shared experiences. You're posting on DS. Go take a look in the TV forums, it's packed to the gills with people commenting on TV as it is broadcast, Twitter is too. You don't see hash-tags appearing on screen for decoration, they are there to make discussing it easier.

If I like a program enough to comment on it why would I be not bothering to watch it properly and commenting on the internet instead? Plus, having to sit through adverts on most channels! I gave up on live TV about 14 years ago when I got a TiVo!
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    never really understood the mentality of people who seem to think that because they don't have a need for any enhanced functionality from new technology that no-one else can possibly need it or find it useful
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well as I don't watch strictly come dancing or I'm a celebrity get me out of here or the rest of the trash that intellectually challenged twitter users seem to like I don't really feel the need to share my experience when watching horizon or things on the history channel.

Mind you I don't generally feel the need to share my feelings I much rather just watch the program as and when I want to watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    never really understood the mentality of people who seem to think that because they don't have a need for any enhanced functionality from new technology that no-one else can possibly need it or find it useful

Nor me. That's not what I'm doing. I'm more than happy for those that are happy with TiVo. I'm not seeking to deny TiVo to anyone, I'm merely pointing out that its functionality holds no attraction to me or many others. The army of TiVo salesmen I'm surrounded by here are keen, but ultimately unable to close the deal. Danny's doing his best, but would probably be better off playing with his network cameras. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dannylau wrote: »
    Well as I don't watch strictly come dancing or I'm a celebrity get me out of here or the rest of the trash that intellectually challenged twitter users seem to like I don't really feel the need to share my experience when watching horizon or things on the history channel.

Mind you I don't generally feel the need to share my feelings I much rather just watch the program as and when I want to watch it.

Danny you really should question your continual attempts to seize the intellectual high ground. Whilst I may or may not possess an IQ greater than yours, my objection to TiVo is not predicated on my IQ.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Nor me. That's not what I'm doing. I'm more than happy for those that are happy with TiVo. I'm not seeking to deny TiVo to anyone, I'm merely pointing out that its functionality holds no attraction to me or many others. The army of TiVo salesmen I'm surrounded by here are keen, but ultimately unable to close the deal. Danny's doing his best, but would probably be better off playing with his network cameras. :)

You are doing exactly that.

I'll say I like the advanced series links, yet you'll say why do you need it?

The horizon product is crap. have you seen the interface? it's shite!

TiVo is quite simple to use, and as for the VHD vs V+ they are EXACTLY the same. except the V+ has a hard disc, 3 tuners, and the ability to dump to VCR/DVD.

its slow and pressing guide does not bring up the guide! its frustrating!

if you don't like the extra tivo features then don't use them. As for using a search to be 'odd' the way you put it it is odd. But! if I like resident evil as a film, I know its done by Paul W.S. Anderson, with search I can key in his name and his other works will show up. If I like resident evil say, then I am most likely going to like his other works. That's why there is a goddamn universal search in TiVo! it is not odd!

Damn your posts frustrate me.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my tivo :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are doing exactly that.

I'll say I like the advanced series links, yet you'll say why do you need it?

The horizon product is crap. have you seen the interface? it's shite!

TiVo is quite simple to use, and as for the VHD vs V+ they are EXACTLY the same. except the V+ has a hard disc, 3 tuners, and the ability to dump to VCR/DVD.

its slow and pressing guide does not bring up the guide! its frustrating!

if you don't like the extra tivo features then don't use them. As for using a search to be 'odd' the way you put it it is odd. But! if I like resident evil as a film, I know its done by Paul W.S. Anderson, with search I can key in his name and his other works will show up. If I like resident evil say, then I am most likely going to like his other works. That's why there is a goddamn universal search in TiVo! it is not odd!

Damn your posts frustrate me.

Now why do you think that is? It's because, as you say, it's odd. To want to search for Paul W.S. Anderson might be entirely understandable to you. But it's not mainstream. Most people would never want to do so, or for any other director (is that what he is?) or 'fave actor' for that matter.

TiVo is a niche product. Ideal for enthusiasts like yourself. The trouble is VM are punting it as a mainstream PVR which it isn't, furthermore they are refusing to allow customers a route back out of it and losing them as a result.

I'm sorry if I've failed to think like you or share your requirements. I hope the frustration doesn't overtake you. If it's any consolation, it's nowhere near as bad as those who've had their V+s taken from them and VM refuse to return them. And there are lots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I love my tivo :D

And your point is?... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it isn't. Not remotely. I have a VHD and it is slow and clunky compared with my V+ there is no comparison whatsoever.
    Forum Member
    Now why do you think that is? It's because, as you say, it's odd. To want to search for Paul W.S. Anderson might be entirely understandable to you. But it's not mainstream. Most people would never want to do so, or for any other director (is that what he is?) or 'fave actor' for that matter.

TiVo is a niche product. Ideal for enthusiasts like yourself. The trouble is VM are punting it as a mainstream PVR which it isn't, furthermore they are refusing to allow customers a route back out of it and losing them as a result.

I'm sorry if I've failed to think like you or share your requirements. I hope the frustration doesn't overtake you. If it's any consolation, it's nowhere near as bad as those who've had their V+s taken from them and VM refuse to return them. And there are lots.

I really don't understand why you would think using the search facility to look for programmes or movies similar to things you know you like is odd

have you never read a novel you enjoyed and looked for books by similar authors , or heard some music you liked and looked around for similar artists to see if you might like them too ?

I would actually find it extremely odd that people wouldn't seek out material similar to things they know they enjoy and use things like a search facility to help them if its available
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand why you would think using the search facility to look for programmes or movies similar to things you know you like is odd

have you never read a novel you enjoyed and looked for books by similar authors , or heard some music you liked and looked around for similar artists to see if you might like them too ?

I would actually find it extremely odd that people wouldn't seek out material similar to things they know they enjoy and use things like a search facility to help them if its available

Exactly.

If virgin have installed this apparently useless functionality, then so has pretty much every other media content provider and online retailer, from Amazon to apple.:D
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

If virgin have installed this apparently useless functionality, then so has pretty much every other media content provider and online retailer, from Amazon to apple.:D

yep I have found loads of great music I would never have came across otherwise by using the related artist and radio functions on spotify for example
  • passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree. Whishlists, which can be set to automatically record if one of your favourite search topics turns up on TV, is one of several things that sets Tivo apart from any other UK set top box and is an amazing feature.

I believe Whishlists are patented by Tivo, so are unlikely to turn up on any other set top box. The Horizon box would be a massive retrograde step backwards if LG were to decide to go down that route. Hopefully, because of the tremendous success of Tivo on VM, that won't happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aww don't you? Despite having done so it seems, loads of times, let's orbit this circle once again...
    have you never read a novel you enjoyed and looked for books by similar authors,

Nope. never. I've seen an advert for a forthcoming book which reminded me I liked it though. Similar authors is a concept that seems a bit odd though. Who decides the similarities? A machine? A publishing house? What were my criteria for reading it in the first place? Will the machine understand it? Apparently not.
    or heard some music you liked and looked around for similar artists to see if you might like them too ?

Nope. never. I've seen an advert for a forthcoming album which reminded me I liked it though. Similar artists is a concept that seems a bit odd though. Who decides the similarities? A machine? A record label? What were my criteria for listening to it in the first place? Will the machine understand it? Apparently not.

There you go then. We'll just have to agree that we both think each other is odd. ;)
    Forum Member
    so how do you then broaden your horizons and find things you have never heard of before or do you just watch the same things all the time ?

using the facilities you seem to object to is just a helping hand to point you in the right direction that's all but surely must be more efficient than complete trial and error ?

as you say each to their own however
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.

Lovely to see a nice big grin on the face of a poster who has just shot themselves in their foot.

What do these organisations have in common? They're all trying to sell you something?

People want respite from this endless suggestion, promotion and marketing when they are trying to chill out in front of the TV>

Virgin are promoting and forcing TiVo on people in order to raise their average customer revenue, nothing more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so how do you then broaden your horizons and find things you have never heard of before or do you just watch the same things all the time ?

using the facilities you seem to object to is just a helping hand to point you in the right direction that's all but surely must be more efficient than complete trial and error ?

as you say each to their own however

Ahh. You seem to be suggesting you couldn't broaden your horizons before you had TiVo. Perhaps you should confide in the forum about how life was for you then and how TiVo has changed your life and made you a more complete person. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Ahh. You seem to be suggesting you couldn't broaden your horizons before you had TiVo. Perhaps you should confide in the forum about how life was for you then and how TiVo has changed your life and made you a more complete person. :rolleyes:

how mature , no point continuing a discussion with someone with so much wit ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how mature , no point continuing a discussion with someone with so much wit ...

Indeed. We're agreed.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you referring to the kind of people who also didn't know how to program their VCR? If so, then that's who Suggestions are aimed at. TiVo will notice they recorded Resident Evil and will automatically start recording other films by the same director, without them having to search for anything. (Of course, these suggestions are always lower priority than programmes the user requested explicitly, and don't reduce the space or tuners available for such.)