Options

Upset with myself - apology to friend needed

CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
Forum Member
My best friend and I went out last night for a meal and drinks which was lovely. I had a bit more to drink than them (no excuse in relation to below) and started to discuss our friendship and how nice it was that we could go out together without feeling the need for others to be there. I guess I was trying to be sentimental about it. I then stupidly said that "in some ways we both use each other".

Now they are good looking and generally gets attention on nights out and I have a physical disability. The point I was trying to make is that on perhaps some level it makes us both look good that we are in each others company (i.e. raises our profiles). I realise this could be taken offensively by them, insinuates prejudices that others may have and most importantly in no way is truly reflective of the basis of our friendship. I know that outlook wouldn't even occur for them and I feel completely stupid for discussing it from that perspective.

This created an awkward ending to the evening and one that they has/would never have put me in. I feel terrible that I did that to them and again gutted that I discussed it from such a selfish and shallow viewpoint. They are the type that will hopefully not dwell upon it and will want to move on and forget it. I feel like I should offer them a sober apology but without going into it again. I'm wondering that if I approach the apology in terms of how it's made me feel upset/disappointed with my own self and how it's made me actively want to apologise if that would be best?

Comments

• Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ring your friend and apologise, say exactly what you've put in your post. Friends are forgiving, especially when the demon drink is involved.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely apologise, sooner rather than later. It's is obviously weighing on your mind, so just go ahead and tell them that you didn't mean anything by it and feel really stupid. Sounds like alcohol played a part, and I know that sometimes my mouth runs away with me when I'm sober, never mind a little squiffy, and I find myself thinking 'nooo nooo nooo, why are you going down that path?' It can happen to anyone, and I'm sure that your friend will either take the apology and think nothing more about it or won't even know why you were worried, having not thought about it at all!