Correct quantity of washing powder to use?

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having read that powder is considered more effective than liquid at cleaning clothes and preventing mould in the washing machine, I bought a small pack to try it out. It says to use 120ml for medium dirty clothes but there's no measuring cup or anything in the packet. So I used a Pyrex measuring jug. I also weighed the amount in the jug and it was about 100g.

Does that sound right? The pack says 10 washes, which would work out at 80g per wash not 100. Why don't they just give the dose in grammes in the first place?

Comments

• FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a long read, but you only have to read it once to get lots of benefit from it.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/cleaning-help/cleaning-maintenance/2728-whiter-whites-brighter-colours-all-about-detergents.html

Suffice to say that manufacturers tend to reccomend too much powder for obvious reasons.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how hard your water is and how dirty your clothes are though, here I use a table spoon of powder for my clothes and slightly more for my husbands. Dog bedding and towels have two spoons and a boil wash.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    It's a long read, but you only have to read it once to get lots of benefit from it.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/cleaning-help/cleaning-maintenance/2728-whiter-whites-brighter-colours-all-about-detergents.html

Suffice to say that manufacturers tend to reccomend too much powder for obvious reasons.

I see they recommend Ariel. I used up what was left in a bottle of Ariel gel yesterday and I can still smell it. Such a strong perfume can't be good for the skin, can it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I see they recommend Ariel. I used up what was left in a bottle of Ariel gel yesterday and I can still smell it. Such a strong perfume can't be good for the skin, can it?

No more harmful than Chanel No 5.
    They wouldn't be allowed to sell it otherwise. These things are all checked and tested before they're put on the market. If they weren't safe they not only would be withdrawn, but there would be a lot of litigation aimed at Proctor and Gamble (or whoever makes the stuff).
    That tends to be bad for business so they don't do it.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wouldn't be allowed to sell it otherwise. These things are all checked and tested before they're put on the market. If they weren't safe they not only would be withdrawn, but there would be a lot of litigation aimed at Proctor and Gamble (or whoever makes the stuff).

100,000 rabbits can't be wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    100,000 rabbits can't be wrong

They don't litigate much either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sat in on a lot of surveys and one of the key questions for washing powders is how long a fragrance should last and overwhelmingly people vote for longest time possible. They are giving us what many people want. Is it good for us is a whole other question and they are not allowed to put anything in that will harm us but long term who knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I've sat in on a lot of surveys and one of the key questions for washing powders is how long a fragrance should last and overwhelmingly people vote for longest time possible. They are giving us what many people want. Is it good for us is a whole other question and they are not allowed to put anything in that will harm us but long term who knows.

Interesting. I would far prefer a mild fragrance that didn't linger. If the clothes look clean and don't smell sweaty then I'm satisfied that they are clean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I would far prefer a mild fragrance that didn't linger. If the clothes look clean and don't smell sweaty then I'm satisfied that they are clean.

Depends what I am washing, I like a more lingering fragrance on dog blankets etc, and I quite like a floral aroma around me but I try to use a fragrance free variety for the boys in the family they don't seem so keen on my florals :D
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read that powder is considered more effective than liquid at cleaning clothes and preventing mould in the washing machine, I bought a small pack to try it out. It says to use 120ml for medium dirty clothes but there's no measuring cup or anything in the packet. So I used a Pyrex measuring jug. I also weighed the amount in the jug and it was about 100g.

Does that sound right? The pack says 10 washes, which would work out at 80g per wash not 100. Why don't they just give the dose in grammes in the first place?

Sounds right. They say 10 washes but they are going to get that from the powder quantity for the lightest soiling so to get the number of washes as large as possible within what they can justify.

It would be pointless to give a weight to use as that would have the same problem of which figure to use. Few people will have a means of weighing to that accuracy every time the do a wash anyway.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member

Who can forget Persil Power, that was a costly mistake for Unilever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Who can forget Persil Power, that was a costly mistake for Unilever.

That was the manganese additive wasn't it?

Oh it removed the stains alright... along with most of the fabric as well :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds right. They say 10 washes but they are going to get that from the powder quantity for the lightest soiling so to get the number of washes as large as possible within what they can justify.

It would be pointless to give a weight to use as that would have the same problem of which figure to use. Few people will have a means of weighing to that accuracy every time the do a wash anyway.

I see what you mean, but it's not that easy to measure out 120ml of a powder either.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says to use 120ml for medium dirty clothes but there's no measuring cup or anything in the packet.
    On the side of the Ariel boxes, there's a tiny pic of a dosing scoop, an info icon, and their website, www.ariel.info. Go to the website, click on the same pic bottom right, and it will take you to the site where you can order a free scoop. I can't post the order page here because it doesn't accept orders directly, only via the Ariel website.

P.S. One ML equals one gramme.
    I see they recommend Ariel.
    Most do. They're often top in Which? surveys, and several washing machine manufacturers recommend Ariel. I can even remember this being the case when my dear mother was alive 20 yrs ago. I've always used Ariel, but only use powder for maintenance washes, as it tends to clog up the drawer with regular use.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Asda own brand washing powder and use 60ml which always gets the clothes clean.

I sent off for several measuring scoops but Daz sent the best one by far, it is clear plastic with a handle rather than a cardboard one which the others sent. I ordered it from the Daz website.

Since I swapped liquitabs for powder the washing machine no longer has a funny smell, it just smells clean.

Powder only clogs up the drawer if you use too much, use the right amount and it won't clog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the same link as from Ariel's website (post #15 ^), which you'll see doesn't work when posted here directly.
    Since I swapped liquitabs for powder the washing machine no longer has a funny smell, it just smells clean.
    I've never had a machine that smells, and I've used powder, gel & liquid. A regular maintenance wash at highest temp plus keeping the door open for a couple of hours after use (both mentioned in every manual I've owned) are the keys to a non-smelling machine; it has nothing to do with type of detergent used. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use this:

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=76684

I have a 7kg washing machine, for a light wash, something that is not dirty but need freshening up I use one tablet, for a normal wash I use 2/3 depending on stains etc, If I'm washing something that is stained badly or needs more powder, I tend to use 2/3 tablets and a squirt of ariel liquid. Napisan is also good to add to your normal powder when washing underwear and towels etc, please note though that the more stains the more rinses you will need.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i use soda crystals as well as powder.

obviously you normally need more powder for hard water. but with the use of soda crystals the hardness in the water reacts preferentially to them, so you need less powder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the same link as from Ariel's website (post #15 ^), which you'll see doesn't work when posted here directly.

I've never had a machine that smells, and I've used powder, gel & liquid. A regular maintenance wash at highest temp plus keeping the door open for a couple of hours after use (both mentioned in every manual I've owned) are the keys to a non-smelling machine; it has nothing to do with type of detergent used. :)

I've always done maintenance washes at 95 degrees but liquitabs did make the machine smell a bit 'foisty' and I have read of others having the same issue when using liquitabs.

My washing machine is nearly fourteen years old so I am no stranger in knowing how to look after a washing machine.

Apologies for posting a duff link but I was only trying to be helpful.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

which is why I use fairy non bio.

I don't want to stink of cheap floral fragrance, I spend way to much on perfume to have it drowned by what to me smells of boiled lard and pound shops
  • AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member

Apologies for posting a duff link but I was only trying to be helpful.

The link worked for me.
    Though I tend to guesstimate things like this anyway, I always assume manufactures will overestimate.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I found that ariel gave my kids ecxema. I normally use surf now.