artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weather pages were the same earlier, they are OK now, albeit very slow to load. And then on a refresh, I get the same error message as you.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I can access the homepage but no content is showing up like usual.
    Obviously a serious technical glitch.
    Que the BBC bashing.... :p
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony-w wrote: »
    I can access the homepage but no content is showing up like usual.
    Obviously a serious technical glitch.
    Que the BBC bashing.... :p

Anything can have a glitch, but maybe the Beeb should have a service status page or something to actually acknowledge the problem.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This site flags it at 10h10
    http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/iplayer

But it may just be one if the CDNs loosing peering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Yes, the BBC does seem to be having some website issues. iPlayer doesn't work on the PC but is fine on phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back up for me now, around an hour.
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sign of the final Masterchef when I went out about 12:30
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    It seems that all the websites are up and running but much of the content still is not. I've been trying to listen to a few things with the on demand radio page and a lot of stuff is not available. I wonder if they will tell us what caused the outage?
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbtwln10 wrote: »
    I wonder if they will tell us what caused the outage?

Richard Cooper did last time it all failed .. Two years ago with Traffic manager failures !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/bbcinternet/2012/07/website_outage_june_11_2012.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "BBC iPlayer is temporarily unavailable due to a technical problem.

Please try again later."

Down again!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .........................looks like im going to miss last Saturdays Casualty then
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Russian Hack
  • Options
    tom_warnertom_warner Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    And people seriously want broadcasting to go from the terrestrial (free-view) to internet only ? The internet should never be looked upon as a replacement for over the air broadcasts, because it isn't reliable enough, plus the likes of the over paid BBC don't keep their licence fee payers informed/updated and take an age to fix anything
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tom_warner wrote: »
    And people seriously want broadcasting to go from the terrestrial (free-view) to internet only ? The internet should never be looked upon as a replacement for over the air broadcasts, because it isn't reliable enough, plus the likes of the over paid BBC don't keep their licence fee payers informed/updated and take an age to fix anything

Post 14 before the anti licence brigade wade into a BBC thread. Tut tut guys, must try harder.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Is this the longest downtime ever? Can't remember another time the BBC Homepage was broken all day.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tom_warner wrote: »

There's a world of difference between maintaining mission critical stuff like linear broadcast TV, and iPlayer, which (I'd speculate) is far lower down on the list as far as the BBC's priorities and budgets are concerned. If DVB-T/S/DAB/FM crapped out then it'd be serious business (as FM spectacularly did a few years ago, because the BBC's sub-sub-sub-sub-sub contractor had a "diverse routed network" where two supposedly diverse bits passed through the same building, whose air-con failed and so did the equipment housed within). To my knowledge this hasn't really happened apart from the FM failure. Sounds like the BBC and its contractors know what they're doing, eh?

If we ever got to the point where most TV watching occured over the internet, you can bet that a lot more money would be poured into it, and therefore there'd be a lot more redundancy. Losing iPlayer for a few hours isn't critical stuff.

Out of interest do you have any experience in maintaining large broadcast and IP networks and the services that run over them? Because I'd bet that the people who are trying to fix the problem are more qualified than you are to work out if it's taking too long.
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still broke.

Reason number 9871818 to get rid of the license fee. Don't want response from fanyboys/employees so don't bother.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    .........................looks like im going to miss last Saturdays Casualty then

There isn't one this week, so maybe deadline will extend
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still broke.

Reason number 9871818 to get rid of the license fee. Don't want response from fanyboys/employees so don't bother.

If you don't want a response to your postings then perhaps a forum isn't the place for you.:D

It's working for me by the way. Hurrah to the licence fee,
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Still broke.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just interested to see if you actually have 9871817 other reasons! :D
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,893
    Forum Member
    It came back on for about 10 minutes in the last 15 minutes but seems to have gone back down again!

I think the BBC have a number of issues in their technical sections, the news station seems to get a fair bit of technical trouble too though it hasn't been as bad in the last few months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    They certainly are having a bad day at the BBC

BBC brief statement up earlier about the website and iPlayer problems
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28388585

They also had problems at BBC Cumbria this morning
    http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/bbc-radio-cumbria-disrupted-by-faulty-fire-alarm-1.1149483
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like everything is down now. All BBC sites are giving an HTTP 500 error.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    Looks like everything is down now. All BBC sites are giving an HTTP 500 error.
    Not for me. Unless it was a minute reboot or something.

All seems to be working fine.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not for me. Unless it was a minute reboot or something.

All seems to be working fine.
    I think it's a traffic management issue - just after I posted I was able to read a couple of articles before getting the same error again.

So it'll work for some people, then possibly stop working, start again...and so on.