Windows 7 Key

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I have an Acer netbook with Windows 7 installed.

If I decide to get a Windows 7 disc to install it without all the Acer bloatware, will the MS key on the back of my Netbook work with it?

Also, if I do this, and something goes wrong with my netbook, can I then use the Acer recovery discs even though I've installed a 'non Acer' Windows 7?

Finally, will the recovery discs work if I upgrade my hard drive, or change the netbook to another one?

Thanks.

Comments

• TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Hi, I have an Acer netbook with Windows 7 installed.

If I decide to get a Windows 7 disc to install it without all the Acer bloatware, will the MS key on the back of my Netbook work with it?

Also, if I do this, and something goes wrong with my netbook, can I then use the Acer recovery discs even though I've installed a 'non Acer' Windows 7?

Finally, will the recovery discs work if I upgrade my hard drive, or change the netbook to another one?

Thanks.

If you get an unbranded OEM version of the disc, yes, but it will need authenticating with the online/telephone wizard.

Chances are the Acer recovery discs use a volume key, so it won't require re-activation. If you change the hard drive, it's unlikely to affect anything.

If you change the netbook, it's not legal, end of.

As far as your PS goes

It's a reputable site, but don't use the key finder for the key. You can verify the version of Windows 7 you need from the sticker on the laptop and should use that key.

If it's 7 Home-Basic Edition you'll be out of luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    If you get an unbranded OEM version of the disc, yes, but it will need authenticating with the online/telephone wizard.

Chances are the Acer recovery discs use a volume key, so it won't require re-activation. If you change the hard drive, it's unlikely to affect anything.

If you change the netbook, it's not legal, end of.

As far as your PS goes

It's a reputable site, but don't use the key finder for the key. You can verify the version of Windows 7 you need from the sticker on the laptop and should use that key.

Ok so that site is legal then and the copy of W7 I'm downloading should be safe?

If I do install it, and activate it using my serial underneath my laptop, will I then have to go through the phone wizard thing?

I also had a thought.... will I need to manually install drivers for the Netbooks devices? The Acer discs presumably have them already pre-installed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Ok so that site is legal then and the copy of W7 I'm downloading should be safe?

If I do install it, and activate it using my serial underneath my laptop, will I then have to go through the phone wizard thing?

I also had a thought.... will I need to manually install drivers for the Netbooks devices? The Acer discs presumably have them already pre-installed.

The site is reputable, yes. Legality is probably a stretch because the to hold a copy of the ISO, you need the licence, but you already have a legal copy (the recovery disc). I think it's quite explicit that you may only have 1 copy of the software for restore purposes. Knock yourself out with the EULA :)

See above.

Yes. You'll get them from the Acer site or sometimes the recovery disc set contains a disc with JUST drivers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    The site is reputable, yes. Legality is probably a stretch because the to hold a copy of the ISO, you need the licence, but you already have a legal copy (the recovery disc). I think it's quite explicit that you may only have 1 copy of the software for restore purposes. Knock yourself out with the EULA :)

See above.

Yes. You'll get them from the Acer site or sometimes the recovery disc set contains a disc with JUST drivers.

I thought Windows updates would have just manually installed the correct drivers automatically?

Not sure if it's worth it when I can just manually delete the Acer bloatware. Just thought it might have ran a bit smoother having a fresh Windows 7 installed.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do a factory restore using the hidden partition on the hard drive you could then use a free piece of software called PCDecrapifier to get rid of the bloatware.

Does your version of Win7 include SP1? If not, ensure the iso file you are downloading includes it. You can then use that image as the basis of making a slipstreamed version including the post SP1 updates.

Instructions can be found via google on on the Windows 7 Forum
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 clean install tutorial with legit download links at Seven Forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html