Options

~~~ Christmas 2012 TV Thread ~~~

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    I agree it would be nice to see a fresh approach but the reason they stick with SCD, Dr Who, Downton and the soaps etc is because they are what the majority want, they are massively popular, personally i dont watch them other than EE.

Also what would you see replace them? personally i really want the animated love fest to come to an end and be replaced with real films!

BIB: Amen to that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind watching an animated film on Christmas day. I find them easy to watch when I'm not really concentrating after a big lunch. Most live action films aren't like that
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    None of which they felt were strong enough to put in the key 9pm slot.

This year they have The Royle Family, a show that has done the business many times before and Mrs Brown's Boys which has proved itself to be a massive hit.

Thank you George, at the time I didn't realise that I had to spell it out for certain people:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Thank you George, at the time I didn't realise that I had to spell it out for certain people:).

Oh. You are aware then that last year's Christmas night schedule was going to consist of this weren't you:

3.10 Film:Ratatouille
    4.50 Shrek The Halls
    5.15 BBC News
    5.30 The Gruffalo's Child
    6.00 Doctor Who
    7.00 Strictly Come Dancing
    8.00 EastEnders
    9.00 Absolutely Fabulous
    9.30 The Royle Bodyguard
    10.00 Michael McIntyres Christmas Roadshow

But this was changed when DA was placed at 9pm on ITV. Without DA Abfab would have rated very well, as it goes it got 7.5 million against DA so at 9pm it would easily have got 10 million.:confused:

It's about subjective interpration. But then, I didn't think I would have to spell it out for some people.
  • Options
    Pepsi_Max_KidPepsi_Max_Kid Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Oh. You are aware then that last year's Christmas night schedule was going to consist of this weren't you:

3.10 Film:Ratatouille
    4.50 Shrek The Halls
    5.15 BBC News
    5.30 The Gruffalo's Child
    6.00 Doctor Who
    7.00 Strictly Come Dancing
    8.00 EastEnders
    9.00 Absolutely Fabulous
    9.30 The Royle Bodyguard
    10.00 Michael McIntyres Christmas Roadshow

But this was changed when DA was placed at 9pm on ITV. Without DA Abfab would have rated very well, as it goes it got 7.5 million against DA so at 9pm it would easily have got 10 million.:confused:

It's about subjective interpration. But then, I didn't think I would have to spell it out for some people.

I like this a lot better! Last years felt a little 'clumbsy'. I know TRB was not very good, but I still think it would have done very well in the ratings on Christmas Day!
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with Pepsi, that does look better on paper than what we got. I know it's the same programmes, but theres something about it. Having EastEnders at 21:00 is a bit late.
  • Options
    Pepsi_Max_KidPepsi_Max_Kid Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not long to go now :D
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    ITV's big drama (other than Downton of course) I think will be Doors Open starring Stephen Fry & Dougie Henshall.
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member
    Anyone have an idea when the Xmas songs usually start on TV?

Thanks
  • Options
    J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »

Thanks

Far far to early :D

To be honest now Bonfire night has gone i would expect them to start soon, Christmas films are on now so music will be soon
  • Options
    Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member
    Far far to early :D

To be honest now Bonfire night has gone i would expect them to start soon, Christmas films are on now so music will be soon

Never too early :D
  • Options
    LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member

Thanks

Blissmas starts next week - not sure if another channel will beat it to the punch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never too early :D

i do love the Christmas songs but not till December!!!

I realised last year there are not that many GREAT Christmas songs and to be honest by the time Christmas come i was pretty much bored of them even ones i love!
  • Options
    LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    i do love the Christmas songs but not till December!!!

I realised last year there are not that many GREAT Christmas songs and to be honest by the time Christmas come i was pretty much bored of them even ones i love!

Yeah, I think I managed 15 seconds of Smooth Xmas :) Winterscapes, on the other hand, is very listenable. Their music is very seasonal, wintry, and more ambient than the full-on Christmas songs you usually hear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really mind what's on. As long as it's snowing outside, then it's the perfect Christmas!! :)

I would like to see 'Disney's Cars' on Christmas Eve again though - that made my night before Christmas as it was the first time I saw that film and it was brilliant.

I can't wait for the 'Doctor Who' special either and to see the new companion in action. :D

It would be a good thing if this year, BBC One continues programming throughout the night and early morning as NOBODY can sleep during Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day morning! IT'S JUST NOT NORMAL!! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j22kh wrote: »
    I don't really mind what's on. As long as it's snowing outside, then it's the perfect Christmas!! :)

I would like to see 'Disney's Cars' on Christmas Eve again though - that made my night before Christmas as it was the first time I saw that film and it was brilliant.

I can't wait for the 'Doctor Who' special either and to see the new companion in action. :D

It would be a good thing if this year, BBC One continues programming throughout the night and early morning as NOBODY can sleep during Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day morning! IT'S JUST NOT NORMAL!! :p

I love a snowy Christmas but 2 years ago when we had snow on the ground for pretty much all of December was a little bit to much especially when even though it had not snowed on Christmas Day i was still clearing old snow off the path so the elderly visitors could get in :D

But i think a nice little dusting of snow over Christmas eve / Day and boxing day would be perfect
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are filming The Royle Family Christmas special.

https://twitter.com/itvcorrie/status/265775309041827840

"We can reveal Gloria will be back next year when Sue Johnston returns to the Street, after a break to film The Royle Family and Lapland"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    They are filming The Royle Family Christmas special.

https://twitter.com/itvcorrie/status/265775309041827840

"We can reveal Gloria will be back next year when Sue Johnston returns to the Street, after a break to film The Royle Family and Lapland"

Let the trumpets play out ! :D i think this will cheer up a few worriers who thought it may be off due to lack of news.

I really hope its back to its best this year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let the trumpets play out ! :D i think this will cheer up a few worriers who thought it may be off due to lack of news.

I really hope its back to its best this year

So how do you reckon this'll fit into Christmas Day? Could we have Miranda, The Royle Family and Mrs Brown's Boys one after the other?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    So how do you reckon this'll fit into Christmas Day? Could we have Miranda, The Royle Family and Mrs Brown's Boys one after the other?

I dont think Miranda will be on Christmas Day, i think Royle Family will be on followed by Mrs Brown's Boys
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this new episode of TRF will pay some kind of tribute to Geoffrey Hughes who died this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    I wonder if this new episode of TRF will pay some kind of tribute to Geoffrey Hughes who died this year.

Hopefully there may be a nod to 2008's Christmas episode. They could mention "Since Twiggy moved to Thailand with his internet bride.......".

That would be a nice nod to Geoffrey's character and hopefully a dedication in the end credits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Sounds like there will be another Lapland then!! That was a bit of fun last year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cdsmiler81 wrote: »
    Sounds like there will be another Lapland then!! That was a bit of fun last year!

It's being turned into a series.
  • Options
    MusicAndTVMusicAndTV Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I don't think that they will put Miranda on Christmas Day. Don't get me wrong, it is a hilarious comedy and I love it, but I don't think it will get many ratings compared to if they aired it on Christmas Eve or Boxing Day instead. Call The Midwife will probably be shown at the 9pm slot. My prediction for BBC on Christmas Day is:

12.30pm: FILM
    2pm: TOTP Christmas Special
    3pm: HM The Queen's Message
    3.10pm: FILM (Up or The Princess and the Frog)
    5pm: BBC News/Weather
    5.30pm: Room on the Broom
    6pm: Strictly Come Dancing
    7.30pm: EastEnders
    8.30pm: The Royle Family
    9pm: Call The Midwife
    10pm: Mrs Brown's Boys

As much as I would love to see actual films instead of the boring animations and children's films (some are ok, not all)... We all know it is not going to happen.