Curling; World Juniors, Women's, Men's 2013

14567810»

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    I know they (often) show two games live on the player, but the main service and catch-up is phenominally poor. With
    the Juniors if I remember rightly the videos were available on catch-up within a couple of hours. If the WCF can do it on their own....why the f can't a huge organisation like Eurosport do it too?

Huge? probably more like a tiny tin-pot organisation that feeds on others pictures.

Someone has to sit down with the WCF and sort this out. Own website, own pictures, videos on within an hour and take the subscription. Where's the problem?

Anyway, rant over.....lookin' forward to a great final Scotland v Denmark!!! :p

Totally agree - there are some limited free to air highlights of the 1-2 game on the world curling you tube site but its very poor that you will be unable to watch the game on the player until Monday (after the final). Its a bit like Match of the day showing highlights of the FA Cup semi final immediately after showing the final!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VckSrn16EI&list=SP_Fr_yXnOHvjq6-ZYARKU7yrDVFZc7GJH&index=1
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canada beat Denmark 8-6 and will now face scotland in the semi
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,947
    Forum Member
    Canada beat Denmark 8-6 and will now face scotland in the semi

Not surprised at the result really. Looking at the linescores though it was a decent show by Denmark and they kept the Canadians honest till the last end.

Lets hope Scotland are in the mood for a game, and have the right team on the ice tonight.
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - that Olympic final is still on you tube and is a testament to the legend that is Anette Norberg.

It was incredibly dramatic (the packed house and a patriotic Canadian home crowd made it extra so) - especially at 2hours 43 minutes when Bernard missed that shot that would have given her the gold ('curl' 'curl' 'curl' - and it never did!). And again the dramatic miss by Cheryl in the extra end at 3hrs and 6 mins which gave the Swedes the win (although I'm sure all that screeching by the Canadian No 3 caused the last stone to go off course!).

Hopefully Eve will be able to match this next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVdQQYRGaI

Ends 9 and 10 should be required viewing for every aspiring curling skip. Reduce your opponents margin for error and let the pressure of the situation come to bear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah well, hopefully we can get bronze and the swedes win gold
    Forum Member
    What a pity. They just didn't play well enough when it mattered. To see Tom Brewster sitting out the semi-final of the World Championship while someone else skips his team is really quite strange.
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canada were relentless and Murdoch was always left fighting fires. I wonder if he now regrets not blanking the 5th end and going into the 6th with the hammer. It's a pity we didn't see more of the Scottish RR games when they were playing at their best. At least we'll get to see more (if not all) of the GB games in Sochi.

The missing Tom Brewster still made an impression when he was shown on the big screen with his pained expression and puffing out his cheeks.;) Is "rotating the members" going to continue?
    Forum Member
    Canada were relentless and Murdoch was always left fighting fires. I wonder if he now regrets not blanking the 5th end and going into the 6th with the hammer. It's a pity we didn't see more of the Scottish RR games when they were playing at their best. At least we'll get to see more (if not all) of the GB games in Sochi.

The missing Tom Brewster still made an impression when he was shown on the big screen with his pained expression and puffing out his cheeks.;) Is "rotating the members" going to continue?

What was wrong with a team that had made the world finals for the last two years - and nearly won last year? They were a cohesive team with a skip who was clearly in charge, everyone knew what position they were playing in every game and the skip was someone who the younger team members respected.

Brewster built this team up - and all of a sudden Dave Murdoch is parachuted in to become skip, they rotate every game which is not good for getting to know the ice/play and they are not now fighting for gold but bronze. Brewster is even dropped for the semi final.

Eve Muirhead has a team she created - and it shows. The mens team have done less well this year under this rotation policy - maybe we just need Team Brewster back with Murdoch as alternate?

Still good luck to them for the bronze medal game!

I hope this is looked at before Sochi - bring back Team Brewster!
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There we go, one Bronze to add to Evie's Gold this year!

Incredible last shot in the 9th to keep Denmark in it, sometimes the hit-and-hope shots have the best outcome rather than deliberating over where a stone should exactly go!

The Dane's last stome on the tenth was a bit betwixt and between, didn't know whether to guard or split the rings, and perhaps the uncertainty made him fluff his lines. Another couple of inches and a freeze, albeit behind the T-line might have made Murdoch make a harder shot (hit on the nose and risk a roll-away?). But it's over, and well done Brewster's rink!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Sweden:)
    Forum Member
    Yes - well done to Sweden. They were definitely the deserved winners.

Also the Scots got their bronze in the end. Slightly annoyingly I was hoping the bronze medal match would be shown this morning on Eurosport tv - and then the gold this afternoon. But it looks like the gold medal game is being shown twice. Odd that the rest of Europe was able to see the bronze medal match live - except for the country (Scotland) than won it because Eurosport wanted to show Davis cup between Serbia and the USA (and didn't of course cover GBs win).

You sort of have to ask what does Eurosport have against the Scots/British?:D

Still enjoyable end to the curling season - and roll on the Europeans in December!
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    There we go, one Bronze to add to Evie's Gold this year!

Incredible last shot in the 9th to keep Denmark in it, sometimes the hit-and-hope shots have the best outcome rather than deliberating over where a stone should exactly go!

Glad to hear this. All 4 of Scotland's world championship rinks - junior and senior - won medals this year, a fantastic achievement. The only fly in the ointment has been the disgraceful lack of coverage from BBC Scotland. The annoying thing is that back in the 1980s before Curling was an Olympic event they regularly had coverage of the World Champs etc, but they just seem to have abandoned it now. Worse than that, the highlights of the Scottish Champs - the only curling they showed all season - was done in a very patronising manner - "what a funny old game it is".
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear this. All 4 of Scotland's world championship rinks - junior and senior - won medals this year, a fantastic achievement. The only fly in the ointment has been the disgraceful lack of coverage from BBC Scotland.

There is still the world seniors and mixed to come this week in Canada. Not sure if there is any online coverage but the Scottish mens team is skipped by Eve Muirhead's coach and her dad is alternate.

Clearly the BBC don't think there is a market for sports the Scots are actually good at - as they have more or less given up on tennis too outside Wimbledon.

Still in Sochi there will be wall to wall coverage of curling for nearly two weeks on the BBC - as its the only sport spread over the length of the Games where GB has a chance of medalling (thus allowing lots of build up etc). Pity though about the time differences - with round robin sessions at 5am, 10am and 3pm UK time makes it difficult for those of us working during the day to watch. The finals are on a Thursday and Friday at 1.30pm in the afternoon - so not ideal either.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Pity though about the time differences - with round robin sessions at 5am, 10am and 3pm UK time makes it difficult for those of us working during the day to watch.

Which is why many of us take two week Olympic holidays every two years.
    Forum Member
    Which is why many of us take two week Olympic holidays every two years.

Not possible for me though - as February is a busy month.

In Vancouver the games were on early/late evening/overnight - so it wasn't an issue
    Forum Member
    I'm quite happy to see Edin come back and win this year after what seemed like quite a bad back injury last year. Quite how they went from being in a spot of bother to the 1/2 playoff on Thursday I'll never know; if Norway had beaten USA or the Czechs beaten the Swiss it could've been a whole different story for them.

I suppose the medals worked out the way they should really; Canada had two attempts to beat Sweden and didn't win any, Scotland had two chances to beat Canada and didn't win any, and Denmark had two matches to beat Scotland and didn't win any. I don't see how anyone can complain much about what they ended up with.

After an indifferent season with has included a fair few disappointing results a Bronze for Team Brewster/Murdoch is probably quite a fair result. I just wonder if they will see it as justification of their rotation policy after their early season woes.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See you all at the European Mixed, Edinburgh, September! Should be nice and brown after my holidays, from hot sand to ice!!
    Forum Member
    It has to be worth mentioning that Eve and her team have just won the Players' Championship in Toronto today beating Sigfridsson 8-5 in the final :)

As far as I know this tournament has only ever been won by the top Canadian rinks (Jones, Bernard, Lawton...) so it puts a big rubber stamp on her status as World Champion. I suppose it also assures her the burden of 'favourite' for the Olympics next year.

The summer holidays well and truly paid for, and certainly well earned. Enjoy the Sangria, ladies :)

Roll on next season.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Yeah Eve's team are the first European team to win the Grand Slam and 1st to win the Players Championship after winning the Worlds
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A remarkable victory and from looking at the results they seem to be struggling in the group stage to qualify and they won their semi-final with a steal of 2 in the last end and a steal of 1 in the extra end. I believe Team Muirhead win $50000 which is about £32000.:cool: Nice work and what a great end to the season.