Is Jim Davidson about to have a career renaissance?

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He's doing surprisingly well on Celebrity Big Brother, I fully expected him to have been thrown out for saying something offensive by now but he's not really put a foot wrong yet, and god knows the miserable old bat Linda Nolan must have tried him.

If you look on Twitter during a show lots of younger people who don't remember his 80's and 90's heyday, and are probably unaware of his past are calling him a legend and saying how much they like him.

Has he changed or is it all an act? And would any TV company touch him these days?

Comments

• Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's doing surprisingly well on Celebrity Big Brother

How depressing to hear. He is a vile disgusting pig. I hope he'll eventually show his true colours again before we are subjected to too much of a comeback.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tbh he has said he is not interested in a TV comeback and tbh he is so busy with work he does not have time for it
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Busy enough to be stuck in a house for a few weeks?

Maybe he thought he wouldn't be there for very long ;)
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How depressing to hear. He is a vile disgusting pig. I hope he'll eventually show his true colours again before we are subjected to too much of a comeback.

I'm gobsmacked to be honest. He was awful on Hell's Kitchen, and I've heard stories about his rudeness to hotel staff etc. But not one racist or homophobic insult has left his mouth in the last three weeks, he admits he has "issues" with women but hasn't said anything particularly sexist either. He's often on hand to offer advice to the younger housemates, like a kindly Uncle figure.

Either he's had extensive media training, or he's genuinely turned over a new leaf...
  • Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of his but he's made CBB this year and ratings are through the roof so much so they have extended the series...so good on him
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big break on C5 is so going to happen.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id like to see him do a chat show
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's doing surprisingly well on Celebrity Big Brother, I fully expected him to have been thrown out for saying something offensive by now but he's not really put a foot wrong yet, and god knows the miserable old bat Linda Nolan must have tried him.

If you look on Twitter during a show lots of younger people who don't remember his 80's and 90's heyday, and are probably unaware of his past are calling him a legend and saying how much they like him.

Has he changed or is it all an act? And would any TV company touch him these days?

Davidson is holding back. He even admitted himself earlier on in the series that he'd be thrown out within minutes if he started being himself. I also think he's trying to antagonise Linda as well by trying to speak to her when she's made it clear that she wants nothing to do with him. He's being clever and sly. He's making out that he's the victim when it's him that's starting things. As for the young people on Twitter, they most likely can't see what he's up to.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. Reminds me of Barrymore's "comeback" on CBB. Didn't translate to much, did it? :p
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps he could have a new show on Five that focuses on his strengths. Maybe something about punching women and being a ****.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God. I hope not. I can't stand him.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

You and me both. Attitudes have, thankfully, moved on since his heyday. We really don't need to give him a platform for his brand of "comedy".
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Same here. Cannot abide him>:(
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    hope so...hes great.
  • lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Barrymore was runner up on the show when it used to get big ratings. It did nothing for his career.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member

He's openly said he's avoiding saying what he thinks on BB. That means we don't know what that is. He's doing a good job avoiding , and enough people wrongly think he is acting being another Jack Dee - when he actually is miserable.

His comedy belonged to the era of On The Buses and Alf Garnett. It might work for some on BB - as BB has lost much of its audience and may have ended up with a largely white working class vote. BB may also have a lot more viewers from his generation than you would expect. That doesn't necessarily make him any more attractive or less risky for mainstream TV.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    What could he possibly do? His "comedy" is dated & not remotely funny. I don't think he has the intelligence to do a decent interview, he could possibly host an afternoon quiz show at a push but do we really need another quiz show on our TV?

So, no I don't think JD will be appearing on our TVs anytime soon, praise the Lord!
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's openly said he's avoiding saying what he thinks on BB. That means we don't know what that is. He's doing a good job avoiding , and enough people wrongly think he is acting being another Jack Dee - when he actually is miserable.

His comedy belonged to the era of On The Buses and Alf Garnett. It might work for some on BB - as BB has lost much of its audience and may have ended up with a largely white working class vote. BB may also have a lot more viewers from his generation than you would expect. That doesn't necessarily make him any more attractive or less risky for mainstream TV.

He got very good reviews for the play he wrote and starred in. Perhaps that's the way forward for him?
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Always loved Jim, saw him live in the 80s too very funny guy. He is right though, a man shouldn't iron his own shirt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so, id like to see him do a talk show on channel 5
  • johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a great bloke.Would love to see him again on stage.
    Good on you Jim.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has so much love from the public at the minute, woukd he want tv work again or tours
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gobsmacked to be honest. He was awful on Hell's Kitchen, and I've heard stories about his rudeness to hotel staff etc. But not one racist or homophobic insult has left his mouth in the last three weeks, he admits he has "issues" with women but hasn't said anything particularly sexist either. He's often on hand to offer advice to the younger housemates, like a kindly Uncle figure.

Either he's had extensive media training, or he's genuinely turned over a new leaf...

Well, in terms of offering me hope for the human race I hope it's the latter. If someone can genuinely recognise it when they've been an awful person and strive to improve then that's great.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What could he possibly do? His "comedy" is dated & not remotely funny.

Hmm.. any openings for new characters in Mrs Brown's Boys?
    :D
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janette800 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of his but he's made CBB this year and ratings are through the roof so much so they have extended the series...so good on him

That is hardly his doing. There is more than one person in the house if i'm not mistaken. And no, to answer the OP's question, this will have little impact on his career.