Options

sad doggys in a window ...

MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just come back from a weeks holiday in the spanish resort of Benidorm, but i was really upset to find that 2 pet shops we walked past in the resort area had about 6 glass boxes in the windows with tiny puppys mainly Chihouhoua's (excuse my poor spelling), yorkshire Terriers & one had 2 little Persian kittens in!
I was absolutely disgusted that they would be kept in their own filth in small glass boxes - kind of the size of a snake box i guess, maybe a bit taller. Especially in the window when its so hot over there.
Is this the same for all of spanish pet shops?
I suppose some places in England still sell cats & dogs in pet shops too, it just really got to me, and i wish i could have bought them all to rescue them! But they were like €900 some of them. :(
I hope there will one day be a massive ban on places keeping cats and dogs like this in pet shops.

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Abroad is not a good place to go peeping into pet shops. I find none of them are very good and they keep poor kittens and puppies in them as well as some very odd looking wild birds (linnets?) which they keep in tiny little cages on their balconies. Poor little things.

There are also plenty of homeless pussies about. I worry about them too. We seldom see them but there are plenty about in Spain and Italy looking very skinny and boney. I want to take them home but I am sure my Impossible Princess would not like that.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not unusual in Spain for people to put their dog out in the street while they go out for the day, or even on holiday.
  • Options
    newto thisnewto this Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Poor animals. :cry:
    Some people just don't seem to care. :mad:

No doubt these dogs came from puppy farms where they're treated terribly and live in dreadful conditions.

They are normally the suppliers of pet shops everywhere.

Puppy Farms worldwide should be closed down. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like that in Belgium too...I went there many years ago and they had shar-peis in small glass containers in the windows.

Here in the US there is a pet shop in one of our local malls and they have kittens and puppies in small wire cages, it's awful. :(:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree how bad it is in Spain. I now cant look when I pass a pet shop window, after getting traumatised from them. It´s so sad. :(:cry:

I always have rescue animals.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Just be thankful you weren't in Korea, not only do they keep their dogs in cramped conditions in the window but they are there so you can choose which one you want to EAT !!