Should cinemas be banned from showing 3D only versions of a film?

Comments

• MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind 3D if its done properly - but I have seen a few 3D films that did work and so i'm not willing to take the risk on many films these days - especially if I know they aren't true 3D movies and are 2D to 3D conversions instead (like the Avengers).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My post in which I stated that I think 3D film screenings are too expensive, and that I'd rather watch films via other means (eg On DVD/Blu-ray):

I agree as well...I would rather WAIT FOR THE BLU-RAY TO COME OUT and buy it LEGALLY or rent off LOVEfilm or watch it via Lovefilm instant LEGALLY.

I did watch Dredd in 3D when a mate said it was good with the drug effect but it didn't grab me.

If Star Trek is just in 3D around me I'll travel to see it but as I'm in Cheshire with Manchester close by I should be able to see a 2D version somewhere.

NOTE TO MODS: I don;t watch films illegally...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just booked my ticket for the first night of the Star Trek release and thankfully my nearest Vue is showing it in 2D as well. I can't stand 3D either.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also hate 3D . Saw a film on demo in John Lewis and found it disturbing and not the way us humans are meant to view things.

Question: What makes a film 3D? Is it a special camera ?
    If it's filmed in 3D can it be successfully converted to 2D?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »

It can be a special camera (technically two cameras - one for each eye) or it can be converted in post-production.

Yes, they just take one image of the two filmed...
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I also hate 3D . Saw a film on demo in John Lewis and found it disturbing and not the way us humans are meant to view things.

You sure about that? ;)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, banning would be wrong. But complain to the managers or cinema chain owners about the lack of choice and if possible take you custom elsewhere.
  • StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3D is overrated.
    I have seen a few 3D films such as Avatar, Toy Story 3, and a couple of others. I find after an hour or so into the movie, you don't really realise the 3D. The glasses irritate me as well as they are always to big.
    I now just watch 2D films, so much better and easier to watch.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    You sure about that? ;)

The 3D we see at the movies or on TV is not the way we see 3D. True 3D requires two things. Stereoscopic vision and focal length. When you watch a 3D movie you only have Stereoscopic vision to work with. Your focal length stays constant and that can lead to headaches or lack of perception of depth for some people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I feel like 3D is for kids...I don't want to see things fly at me...then again, I'm probably not seeing any movie that even has an option of 3D. Didn't 3D fail in the '80s anyways? The technology is basically the same and it's pretty lame. Maybe if they step it up a bit and put it in a good movie I"ll check it out.

What are the best 3D movies anyways?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like 3D is for kids...I don't want to see things fly at me...then again, I'm probably not seeing any movie that even has an option of 3D. Didn't 3D fail in the '80s anyways? The technology is basically the same and it's pretty lame. Maybe if they step it up a bit and put it in a good movie I"ll check it out.

What are the best 3D movies anyways?
    The 3D is far from the same as in the 80s. In the 80s you were stuck with poor quality Anaglyph 3D which normally used red and cyan filters to deliver each eye with a different image. The problems with Anaglyph 3D were many fold. The colour filters by their nature meant that the colour of the film was un-natural. The quality of the film, the screen and the lenses also meant that you tended to get a lot of image bleed where the image would seen in both eyes rather than just the one it was intended for. Modern 3D has over come many of these issues. Polarised light is now used so the colours are true, the screens are much more advanced which keeps the light correctly polarised and the film is digital which helps.

If you really want to experience the best quality 3D then I would recommend finding an IMAX cinema. The technology that goes into a IMAX theatre is way advanced to a standard 3D theatre.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    If you really want to experience the best quality 3D then I would recommend finding an IMAX cinema. The technology that goes into a IMAX theatre is way advanced to a standard 3D theatre.

Do IMAX exist in Washington, USA? Which is where Steve is from...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do IMAX exist in Washington, USA? Which is where Steve is from...

Yup - The Smithsonian has 3 IMAX theatres alone. And to be honest, these are going to be better IMAX than the ones you find in multiplexes as the original IMAX screens are much larger than the ones found in multiplexes (8.5m x 18m vs 23m x 30m)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bit of a bump but i'm looking around to find a showing near me of Sin City 2 and the nearest cinema is showing it only in 3D at the cost of £10.90 a ticket !!

if i want to see it in 2D, which I do, I can only see it later in the evening which isn't really an option for me.

I suppose the problem with this particular film is that they need the extra revenue that 3D brings since it's largely tanked so far. it's bloody annoying though !
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is very annoying!

At my local Cineworld the only regular 2D showings are at 11.30am, 2.30pm and 8.15pm. Notice the gap between 2.30 and 8.15pm showings?

The 3D showings however are at 12.15pm, 3.15pm, 6.15pm and 9.15pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It bugs me even more because I can't afford to pay out £11 quid to go and see a film.

i can work it out so i can see it in the cinema i go to in romford as they charge £4 quid a ticket for all films, regardless of 2D or 3D, but, once again, the 2D showing is late evening and only the 3D showing is early enough in the afternoon.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my advice is just leave it if it's going to bother you that much. Going by the poor box office it's probably a stinker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It bothers me that I can't see it in 2D without paying through the nose to see it. I saw the first one in 2D and I want to see this in the same format.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    I ask, because I was going to see the new Star Trek film at Cineworld next month until I saw they were hosting 3D screenings only.

I despise 3D. I have no interest whatsoever in ever seeing a film of any kind in 3D. Call me old fashioned, but it's just not for me. I know even if I weren't so disliking of it I'd find it uncomfortable due to the glasses, so for me it's just totally no go.

Now, I'm not saying "ban X thing because I dislike it" but I am suggesting that in the name of being fair cinemas should be made to show both 3D and 2D versions of a film. I've seen many people say they either dislike 3D or find it inaccessible due to the uncomfortable glasses or sight problems, so is it reasonable to suggest cinemas which host 3D screenings only of some films are going so far as to be discriminating?

What do people here think?

So you've never seen 3D, you think you'll dislike it based on other people's opinions and you want to dictate what cinemas do with it?
    Way to keep an open mind.
    Daily Mail thinking at its finest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    So you've never seen 3D, you think you'll dislike it based on other people's opinions and you want to dictate what cinemas do with it?
    Way to keep an open mind.
    Daily Mail thinking at its finest.

Even if he's wrong, there are people with sight problems that can't see 3D, so it's a little obtuse for them to have pay through those nose to have to look at a weird somewhat nauseating image if they want to see a film...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    The 3D is far from the same as in the 80s. In the 80s you were stuck with poor quality Anaglyph 3D which normally used red and cyan filters to deliver each eye with a different image. The problems with Anaglyph 3D were many fold. The colour filters by their nature meant that the colour of the film was un-natural. The quality of the film, the screen and the lenses also meant that you tended to get a lot of image bleed where the image would seen in both eyes rather than just the one it was intended for. Modern 3D has over come many of these issues. Polarised light is now used so the colours are true, the screens are much more advanced which keeps the light correctly polarised and the film is digital which helps.

This is nonsense. The only anaglyph movies in cinemas in the 80s were black and white 50s productions. These were created for cinemas that didn't want to invest in special 3D kit and were much easier to exhibit. Black and white anaglyphs work very well in cinemas.
    The actual 80s colour productions (like their 50s colour counterparts) were shown using the Polaroid system of which today's 3D is a direct descendant.
    Very few (if any) colour movies have ever been made for an anaglyph system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if he's wrong, there are people with sight problems that can't see 3D, so it's a little obtuse for them to have pay through those nose to have to look at a weird somewhat nauseating image if they want to see a film...

If people who know they can't see 3D decide to pay over the odds and go see it any way, then who's really at fault?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bit of a bump but i'm looking around to find a showing near me of Sin City 2 and the nearest cinema is showing it only in 3D at the cost of £10.90 a ticket !!

if i want to see it in 2D, which I do, I can only see it later in the evening which isn't really an option for me.

I suppose the problem with this particular film is that they need the extra revenue that 3D brings since it's largely tanked so far. it's bloody annoying though !

£10.90 for 3D?

Where I am, that's a good price! :(

2D (standard seating) is £9.70 at the Vue in Cambridge, while 3D (standard seating) is £12.55 (with no discount for taking your own 3D glasses).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    This is nonsense. The only anaglyph movies in cinemas in the 80s were black and white 50s productions. These were created for cinemas that didn't want to invest in special 3D kit and were much easier to exhibit. Black and white anaglyphs work very well in cinemas.
    The actual 80s colour productions (like their 50s colour counterparts) were shown using the Polaroid system of which today's 3D is a direct descendant.
    Very few (if any) colour movies have ever been made for an anaglyph system.

Really. I saw Friday the 13th III and Jaws 3D in the 80s. Both used red/cyan anaglyph.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

Seems a really odd strategy. People like you and I who want to see it in 2D are unlikely to go and see it at all now, so instead of gaining an extra couple of quid for 3D tickets they get nothing. I certainly won't be shelling out £12 to see it at my local with the inevitably cheap and gimmicky 3D effects interfering with my enjoyment of the film.