Is technology not as advancing as much now or am I just a jaded gamer?

2»

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct answer.

Dear developers

Please stop making our games look unnecessarily pretty at the detriment to just about everything else, focus on the AI and the playability. Next-gen offers enough power to be great looking too!

I agree, and its a pain getting our marketing to listen. They tell us its videos and screenshots that sell though. What do you want me to tell them?

They are even gamers, but think gamers are stupid and only want pretty pictures and videos :(
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I agree, and its a pain getting our marketing to listen. They tell us its videos and screenshots that sell though. What do you want me to tell them?

They are even gamers, but think gamers are stupid and only want pretty pictures and videos :(

Yeah exactly, this is why Bungie had the right idea with Halo. It may not of turned heads like Killzone but it sure had some impressive tech under the bonnet. More developers next gen need to aspire to this way of thinking, a game doesn't have to be visually gobsmaking to be popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    From my own tech journey, I don't think anything will ever beat having a Spectrum then seeing the Newtek Demo on the Amiga. 4,096 colours on screen, fantastic synth chip and more. Damn you for going bust Commodore!

Commodore was pretty awesome. If they had kept going, it would be interesting to see whether they would still be a player in the console/home computing market today.

I went from C64/NES/SNES. I was never blown away by the NES, but Super Mario World... Wow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tell them to look at the re-ignition of indie gaming, Minecraft, Terraria, Don't Starve, The Binding of Issac. Games that aren't the most graphically pretty, technically polished, etc but that are selling like hotcakes because of an original idea and great design and gameplay.

Of course do turn their heads from Call of Duty 23,031 - The Inevitable Dramatic Strapline that is still inexplicably one of the top selling video game franchises of all time...