Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Comments

• beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really enjoy it. I thought it was ok to fairly good, certainly had some "fun" elements but to be honest, it was difficult to keep track of all the new elements brought into the film series and I thought the end fight was a let down.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seen it three times now,love this film
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whens the blu ray release?!
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    whens the blu ray release?!

I would have thought beginning of December just in time for xmas
  • SunnyBearsSunnyBears Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I knew nothing about the comics before I saw this and I loved it.

Only thing that irked me was the dancing bit at the end, I think it took the audience out of the action a little too much for a comedy moment.

Loved dancing Groot.

Also having rewatched Thor 2 after GOTG the whole infinity stones thing makes more sense to me.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    One thing that niggled: did people really say "awesome mixtape" as long ago as the 70s, which was presumably when the mother made the tapes? I'm not sure it was even a common expression in the 80s, but I wasn't abducted by aliens so what do I know?
    the character was actually a child in the 1980s (when he was abducted), so the mother would have made those 'awesome' cassette tapes in the 80s with 70s music that she grew up with... This was explained in the movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam33 wrote: »
    It's been dethroned at the box-office over the weekend by TMNT. ;-)
    Gone back on top in the US box office http://variety.com/2014/film/news/box-office-sin-city-2%E2%80%B2-bombs-guardians%E2%80%B2-beats-if-i-stay-1201288961/

:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    If you're referring to the Spider-Man films, then you're wrong as they aren't by Marvel.

Well the op is half right... They are Marvel properties... But the films themselves are not made by Marvel Studios (Disney)... They are in fact made by Sony Pictures with Marvel licensing. Same goes for the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies (Fox).
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know its a hit when Disney fast track the meet'n'greet characters.

Star Lord and Gamora appeared at the "Awesome Mix Tape Dance Party" in Disney's Hollywood Studios last night.
    http://youtu.be/xiHS4HI-efI

Its great to see them finally able to use Marvel characters in Walt Disney World, as Universal Studios has a contract for other Marvel characters for its Islands of Adventure park.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    Star Lord and Gamora appeared at the "Awesome Mix Tape Dance Party" in Disney's Hollywood Studios last night.

Cross-media domination ahoy. As if the champagne wasn't flowing enough, that Awesome Mixtape is #1 on Billboard.

Ooga-chaka, ooga-ooga....
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well Marvel have also fast tracked the dancing Groot toy as well!

Its great to see GOTG doing so well after the negative reaction when it was first announced by Marvel.Ive got a few friends who have seen it numerous times and everybody I know has loved it!

I will be very suprised if I see a better film this year and I'm just counting down untill the Blu Ray comes out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officially the highest grossing summer movie this year in the States... Transformers 4 the highest grossing movie of the year worldwide - Mainly thanks to China!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Officially the highest grossing summer movie this year in the States... Transformers 4 the highest grossing movie of the year worldwide - Mainly thanks to China!

Very interesting. Congratulations GOTG :)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the op is half right... They are Marvel properties... But the films themselves are not made by Marvel Studios (Disney)... They are in fact made by Sony Pictures with Marvel licensing. Same goes for the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies (Fox).

I know that.

That is why "jediknight2k1" was wrong, as he/she said that "Marvel as usual changed origin stories" and that it was "typical of them as Spiderman's changes every time"... even though the Spider-Man films are not made by Marvel.

It is not "typical" of Marvel to change Spider-Man's origin story, because the Spider-Man films were not made by Marvel.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only got round to seeing this recently, it was pretty good. Nice group of characters, plenty of thrills and spills, quite funny and a groovy soundtrack. Totally fell in love with Groot...:D .

On the flip side, the actual plot was pretty thin, although clearly the main purpose of this film was to establish the concept for future use.

Overall a good 7/10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that.

That is why "jediknight2k1" was wrong, as he/she said that "Marvel as usual changed origin stories" and that it was "typical of them as Spiderman's changes every time"... even though the Spider-Man films are not made by Marvel.

It is not "typical" of Marvel to change Spider-Man's origin story, because the Spider-Man films were not made by Marvel.

Ah I see, ok.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beatrice39 wrote: »
    I didn't really enjoy it. I thought it was ok to fairly good, certainly had some "fun" elements but to be honest, it was difficult to keep track of all the new elements brought into the film series and I thought the end fight was a let down.

I was disappointed overall but Groot was brilliant..
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*Waves fist menacingly at China*
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    *Waves fist menacingly at China*

<cut to Beijing for unnecessary pandering>

"The Central Government will protect Hong Kong at all costs!"
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got to see this over the weekend. Glad I didn't wait for the DVD/BD.

A bit thin on overall plot but a good base for future outings. Very Star Warsy (A New Hope) which is no bad thing. Drax's constant narration was a bit annoying. Loved Groot & Rocket. Gamorrah & Nebula were both underused but I suppose there's only a finite amount of screen time. Good that Nebula lives to fight another day, she seems an interesting character.
    Good mix of comedy & action. Even a bit of blue for the dads with the 'blacklight' line.

Didn't get Howard the Duck. Maybe someone could enlighten me?
    Things falling into place now that I've also caught up on Thor 2 & Cap 2 that tied into AoS.

Overall a solid 7.5/10
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought that this film was going to be a flop, due to it being released during school holidays, but I never imagined it would be the huge success it has been.

Marvel have really pulled out another gem from their studios.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't get Howard the Duck. Maybe someone could enlighten me?

Howard the Duck was a comic that started in the '70s and is the first Marvel character to get a proper film adaptation by Lucasfilm in 1986. (Unless you count the Captain America films of the '40s)

A bit of a cult favourite, as it was universally panned and cited as "one of the worst films ever made".

Here's the trailer (just as bad as the film)
    http://youtu.be/SzI-ZbcK_sw
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <cut to Beijing for unnecessary pandering>

"The Central Government will protect Hong Kong at all costs!"

Godzilla, I CHOOSE YOU!
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howard the Duck was a comic that started in the '70s and is the first Marvel character to get a proper film adaptation by Lucasfilm in 1986. (Unless you count the Captain America films of the '40s)

A bit of a cult favourite, as it was universally panned and cited as "one of the worst films ever made".

Here's the trailer (just as bad as the film)
    http://youtu.be/SzI-ZbcK_sw

Cheers, Ludwig. I remember the Howard film, even as a 7 year old I knew it was bad but had absolutely no idea it was a Marvel property. Lives n learns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^No probs. I don't know what's more surprising, the fact that he'd a Marvel character or that the film was made by George Lucas.