Options

Hollyoaks To much screen time on homosexuality?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    And strangely enough, you have to keep on coming out all the damned time... its never just once....

But that is true to life for a lot of people. My best friend is gay. He came out to his friends. He came out to his sister, then to his parents. Some of his family still don't know. So I don't get what the issue is.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duplicate post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    It was a joke. Just trying to lighten the mood.

Yes. But it's hard to lighten the mood when a thread title is 'too much screen time on homosexuality' regardless of your intentions or what you meant by it.

The way you phrased it implies that it's not as important. My intentions aren't to be rude, but for you to see why you may have rubbed people up the wrong way.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Threads like this are depressing.

No, right amount of screen time on homosexuality, not too much.

Also our gay characters are getting storylines that seem pretty universal in terms of themes for some people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    khughes90 wrote: »
    But that is true to life for a lot of people. My best friend is gay. He came out to his friends. He came out to his sister, then to his parents. Some of his family still don't know. So I don't get what the issue is.

oh I don't have one personally. Just saying. The characters, to a point, will always have some storyline about them being gay. you don't have the drama of coming out once and then being boring as everyone knows. (Well unless you're Sophie in Corrie I guess! lol)
  • Options
    Mattyboii1995Mattyboii1995 Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title isn't very nice at all..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    khughes90 wrote: »
    Yes. But it's hard to lighten the mood when a thread title is 'too much screen time on homosexuality' regardless of your intentions or what you meant by it.

The way you phrased it implies that it's not as important. My intentions aren't to be rude, but for you to see why you may have rubbed people up the wrong way.

Again, it's not my thread.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Wow this thread...I don't even know what to say apart from I whole heartedly disagree with the OP. I'm not going to launch an attack or justify something that doesn't need justifying with facts or reasons or defenses. This is just wrong, perhaps it was meant with pure intentions but this thread is an example of discrimination.
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    Except that's not the relevance of the thread is it?

We're talking about their lovelife and sexual preference.

Well actually it does.

Because your talking about how things were retconned to fit the story about their love life. Those things that were retconned about Riley were to fit his story. It's no different. Hollyoaks are bad at changing things to fit the story no matter the character, their sex, sexuality or beliefs.

So at the end of the day Hollyoaks have played out the Doug/Ste/Brendan love triangle no different to any other love triangle. Except that they "turned" Doug, rather than introducing a new character. However I've never heard any one say they didn't believe Doug being gay, they just didn't feel like the storyline was paced well enough and felt too sudden.
  • Options
    Mattyboii1995Mattyboii1995 Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know right, and when it first went up and I questioned it I was accused of being the 'homophobia brigade' :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Again, it's not my thread.

Apologies, I was just going through the pages and the way you were defending it sounded like it was.

But it changes nothing that I've said. Horrible wording and, in my opinion, incorrect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However I've never heard any one say they didn't believe Doug being gay, they just didn't feel like the storyline was paced well enough and felt too sudden.

Really? It was all over this forum when the 'story' first aired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't feel it's discrimination either. It's no difference to a thread saying "I'm sick of Kat Moon's affairs" or "Too much screen time on Mercedes opening her legs".

Too much focus on one subject, no matter the subject, is boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? It was all over this forum when the 'story' first aired.

Not that they didn't believe Doug could be gay. That they didn't believe it because he was "hugged" gay. It was the timing, not the actual content. And the fact they made him gay, rather than bi
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that they didn't believe Doug could be gay. That they didn't believe it because he was "hugged" gay. It was the timing, not the actual content. And the fact they made him gay, rather than bi

There was a lot of people saying it was unbelievable, especially after they'd not long spent time on his feelings for the girl who was murdered by Silas.

For me personally, I found his relationship with Ste more unbelievable than him actually being gay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't feel it's discrimination either. It's no difference to a thread saying "I'm sick of Kat Moon's affairs" or "Too much screen time on Mercedes opening her legs".

Too much focus on one subject, no matter the subject, is boring.

It is completely. This is saying that homosexuals are over-represented rather than saying that the material is repeated, drawn out etc.

Homosexuality is a way of life. And it happens. And it should be represented. I don't see why Oaks should represent that less than heterosexuality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There was a lot of people saying it was unbelievable, especially after they'd not long spent time on his feelings for the girl who was murdered by Silas.

For me personally, I found his relationship with Ste more unbelievable than him actually being gay.

I just don't like Ste, and hated Doug being wasted on him. And the fact the show is obsessed with starting stories, with characters being curious etc and then making them admit they are gay when they've portrayed the whole story different. See Craig Dean (who even claimed himself to be gay at the end of the story to make JohnPaul happy. Doug's another, I'm surprised Texas hasn't been forced to admit she is a lesbian.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't like Ste, and hated Doug being wasted on him. And the fact the show is obsessed with starting stories, with characters being curious etc and then making them admit they are gay when they've portrayed the whole story different. See Craig Dean (who even claimed himself to be gay at the end of the story to make JohnPaul happy. Doug's another, I'm surprised Texas hasn't been forced to admit she is a lesbian.)

Thank god its not just me. :D:D I hate the way some fans (not on here, on the E4 site) seem to have made him a saint lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank god its not just me. :D:D I hate the way some fans (not on here, on the E4 site) seem to have made him a saint lol.

I don't think Keiron is a very good actor, his character has no personality, I hate how they completely rewrote the character to suit the actor. I hate how he is shoe-hornned into every story and scene. I hate how other characters are rewrote to suit him, Amy abandoning her children? Doug?

I just don't like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I couldn't agree more. :D

That was my main problem with Ste coming out. It was suddenly completely re-writing the character to suit the actor who no longer had to play a character but could basically be himself in the show.

His mannerisms, his dress sense, his sexuality just suddenly changed on a whim after Keiron came out. Very stupid on the writer's part.

It's not even as though he's an asset to the show either. They could have brought in a new character for the Brendan story or brought John Paul back two years ago. Anything but shoehorn Ste into it.

That also started the downhill slope for Amy's character. She was suddenly rendered useless now that she and Ste were no longer together.

Rant over. :D
  • Options
    ScouseBirdScouseBird Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Keiron is a very good actor, his character has no personality, I hate how they completely rewrote the character to suit the actor. I hate how he is shoe-hornned into every story and scene. I hate how other characters are rewrote to suit him, Amy abandoning her children? Doug?

I just don't like him.

To be fair its not the first time they changed the character, he went from chavy bully to woman beating alcoholic to a unstable single dad. I like his character more now than i ever have to be honest
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just don't like him.

*Nods* I agree. For me, he's HO's Antony Cotton. He's in there for life. (For the record I hate that bloody character too, and he can't act either.)
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the people saying Esther is a fleshed-out character who happens to be gay, and Ste is just a gay character with nothing else about him, really need to look into the history of Ste. Even his "coming out" had nothing to do with him actually being gay -- it was a domestic abuse plot. He's gay, but he's a fully formed character.

As for Brendan. Well. If you think "being gay" is all he has about him, then we've been watching a different show. Even the focus of his current storyline with his father has little to do with him being gay.

John Paul -- the end of his relationship and raising a baby. Nothing about being gay.

Jen -- vanished from the screen ages ago

Tilly -- Not on screen currently

George -- Not on screen currently

Who am I forgetting?

So basically at the moment we have a man who's facing his abusive past, his supportive boyfriend coming to terms with what the person he loves has been through, and another dude who's dealing with a baby. How is that too much screentime on homosexuality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    modeyink wrote: »
    I think the people saying Esther is a fleshed-out character who happens to be gay, and Ste is just a gay character with nothing else about him, really need to look into the history of Ste. Even his "coming out" had nothing to do with him actually being gay -- it was a domestic abuse plot. He's gay, but he's a fully formed character.

If anyone was to "look into the history of Ste" they would see how his entire character makes little sense and has undergone several re-writes.
    He's shallower than a kid's paddling pool, which is why he was the downfall of the Brendan story and dragged it down when involved.
  • Options
    modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone was to "look into the history of Set" they would see how his entire character makes little sense and has undergone several re-writes.

I'm not denying that. My point is there has been so much more to Ste than him being gay, whether it all makes sense or not. He is and has been a character outside of his sexuality.